Box Stock Big Rock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Contrakt

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Mojave
So I took my very first rig out for the maiden voyage last night in the icy driveway. I got the Big Rock 4x4 because I love the 4-door look.

Can’t think of any complaints as of now other than when I’m bashing around, the tires will balloon out and make an absolutely horrible sound because they’re rubbing against the body when really giving ‘er the beans. I’m a little confused how this is happening. I mean didn’t Arrma notice This when designing the truck? If you give it full power and turn the wheels, the tires rub the body...what’s everyone do about this?

Maybe try venting them...
there are threads on here explaining how to do so.
Welcome to the fam! ?

Last edited:
Yep venting them will help, but to be honest they just aren’t very good tires.

I would recommend you get the Hot Racing 17mm x 10mm offset hubs and a set of MX28 Badlands. That would widen it a little and get you a set of IMO the best bashing tire for the 3S lineup.

Yep venting them will help, but to be honest they just aren’t very good tires.

I would recommend you get the Hot Racing 17mm x 10mm offset hubs and a set of MX28 Badlands. That would widen it a little and get you a set of IMO the best bashing tire for the 3S lineup.

I did that but still rubs the body when hot dogging it!

I just checked out a video on venting. Actually seems to make sense but it looks like the tires still balloon under big throttle. So, although it may help dirt and water in the tires, it doesn’t look to help the ballooning issue. I’m going to check out those wheels and tires suggested above ^^^ or maybe trimming the body is in order? I just really didn’t want to trim it but I will if I have to.

So I took my very first rig out for the maiden voyage last night in the icy driveway. I got the Big Rock 4x4 because I love the 4-door look.

Can’t think of any complaints as of now other than when I’m bashing around, the tires will balloon out and make an absolutely horrible sound because they’re rubbing against the body when really giving ‘er the beans. I’m a little confused how this is happening. I mean didn’t Arrma notice This when designing the truck? If you give it full power and turn the wheels, the tires rub the body...what’s everyone do about this?

This is the nature of the beast.. ballooning is just part of it, unless you get belted tires ballooning will be present in every tire.. venting helps a little bit, but just with conformity, (more even throughout the face of the tread)... you can also use fishing line and wrap it around the tire in between the tread pattern, but must be tightened lightly or they will distort the tire and cause convexed or concaved sections in the over all diameter of the tire...
You can also unmount the tire and tape the inside diameter with gorilla tape...

Honestly I would just run those tires, you could extend the hubs to help a bit and make the truck wider.. or as @Outcastblxnut stated, trim the body where it rubs...

Just ordered them from amazon. Prime delivery. I’m gonna give these a shot before cutting my body up. These will work just fine with stock wheels and tires right? Again, sorry for stupid questions.

No they will not work stock wheels are 14mm hex those are for 17mm hex wheels. You would need 17mm hex wheels. Granite tires are a bolt on upgrade but they balloon very badly but because they turn into pizza cutters easier less chance of rubbing the body because the tires get skinnier (balloon towards the middle of the wheel).

No they will not work stock wheels are 14mm hex those are for 17mm hex wheels. You would need 17mm hex wheels. Granite tires are a bolt on upgrade but they balloon very badly but because they turn into pizza cutters easier less chance of rubbing the body because the tires get skinnier (balloon towards the middle of the wheel).
That’s precisely the problem. The tires don’t even come close to rubbing until you turn left or right and gun it. They balloon out into “pizza cutters” like you say and THEN and only then do they rub the body. Normal operation at 90% throttle or less there’s no rubbing.
Any chance you can point me in the direction of some 14mm hub spacers/extenders for my stock wheels?

Just ordered them from amazon. Prime delivery. I’m gonna give these a shot before cutting my body up. These will work just fine with stock wheels and tires right? Again, sorry for stupid questions.

Oh man, no they wont work on the big rock or granite wheels.. as stated, different hex size.. I was just saying yes sir to that's what @jondilly1974 was talking about to change to the mx28 badlands... man I'm sorry if I led you in the wrong direction..

That’s precisely the problem. The tires don’t even come close to rubbing until you turn left or right and gun it. They balloon out into “pizza cutters” like you say and THEN and only then do they rub the body. Normal operation at 90% throttle or less there’s no rubbing.

Any chance you can point me in the direction of some 14mm hub spacers/extenders for my stock wheels?

I don't know about the Big Rock tires the Granite uses the same a-arms, hubs and I never had a problem with the tires rubbing the body on my Granite even at full balloon. Maybe Granite wheels have more hex offset don't know.

There are no known hex extenders for the 14mm hexes that I have seen or know of.

You could use 3s typhon a-arms, turnbuckles and tierods to make it wider, it will not rub then for sure..

I was on the fence with the BR and Granite blx, went for Granite for all these reasons.

Oh man, no they wont work on the big rock or granite wheels.. as stated, different hex size.. I was just saying yes sir to that's what @jondilly1974 was talking about to change to the mx28 badlands... man I'm sorry if I led you in the wrong direction..
It’s no biggy at all I was just misunderstanding. Still such a novice at all of this. I canceled the order right away and it was no big deal. I’m still exploring some stuff. The Typhon 3S arms seems to be a common BRCC mod so I might go that route.
You could use 3s typhon a-arms, turnbuckles and tierods to make it wider, it will not rub then for sure..
I think I’m going to try this mod out. Been seeing several people do this for stability and width on the BRCC.

It’s no biggy at all I was just misunderstanding. Still such a novice at all of this. I canceled the order right away and it was no big deal. I’m still exploring some stuff. The Typhon 3S arms seems to be a common BRCC mod so I might go that route.

I think I’m going to try this mod out. Been seeing several people do this for stability and width on the BRCC.
if you are buying Typhon arms, make sure you buy RPM arms. The Arrma ones are too brittle.

And not to take you down a rabbit hole, but you could also do the OC/Kraton arms, shafts, turnbuckles, hubs, bearings, etc if you want even more width.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back