Kraton Brand new Kraton 6s makes grinding noise right out of the box! Is this normal??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_Am_Doug

Hold thy mead. I am on the cusp of making history.
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Kraton EXB
As the title says, I just received my son’s Kraton 6s today and it is making a horrendous noise when just pushing it back and forth. What should I do??!!

I'm not going to run it until the local experts here offer some insight - Thank you in advance!!!!

Short video:

As the title says, I just received my son’s Kraton 6s today and it is making a horrendous noise when just pushing it back and forth. What should I do??!!

I'm not going to run it until the local experts here offer some insight - Thank you in advance!!!!

Short video:

Yes, 100% normal... 👍

Thank you everyone for confirming I have no idea what I am doing…lol 😂

But seriously, your answers helped. This is my son’s k6s and he will be running it for the first time Saturday. Now we can bash with confidence!

The VERY first time I heard that noise, I'd about lost it... WTF!
(It was on a pre-owned Kraton 6S)

I thought the owner Abused that rig terribly and was trying to pawn it off on me.

Little did I know it was normal because of the open center diff and the 'slightly loose' mesh between it and the pinion.

>> You'll learn soon enough that's the sound you Want to hear on ALL the 6S models.

You're Good to Go!

Thank you everyone for confirming I have no idea what I am doing…lol 😂

But seriously, your answers helped. This is my son’s k6s and he will be running it for the first time Saturday. Now we can bash with confidence!

Your son is ready!!

Party Flying GIF by Camburg Racing

I should ask...
How old is your son?
(make sure he knows what he's about to get himself into.. Serious Power!))

Your son is ready!!

Party Flying GIF by Camburg Racing

I should ask...
How old is your son?
(make sure he knows what he's about to get himself into.. Serious Power!))
He’s old enough and has experience with a lot of “less than stellar” grades of rc cars so I’m confident he can handle it. Also, throttle trim, limiter and fail safe all in check. We plan on running in an area without any people around and free of a fair amount of damaging obstacles.

He’s old enough and has experience with a lot of “less than stellar” grades of rc cars so I’m confident he can handle it. Also, throttle trim, limiter and fail safe all in check. We plan on running in an area without any people around and free of a fair amount of damaging obstacles.
Yeaaah worth starting on 4s or at least 6s with 50% throttle at first, it is truly remarkable the feeling you get driving a 6s truck for the first time. It's hard but try to get him to go easy on it at first. The power is unbelievable.

Metal pinion gear + metal spur gear + correct gear mesh = the sound you hear. Beautiful music!

Yeaaah worth starting on 4s or at least 6s with 50% throttle at first, it is truly remarkable the feeling you get driving a 6s truck for the first time. It's hard but try to get him to go easy on it at first. The power is unbelievable.
Agree here. I was competent with driving my Granite 3s and figured stepping up to K6 wouldn't be a big deal. It was a big deal. The amount of power the K6 has is on a different level. The amount of damage it can do to itself and others is also on another level. Ease into it.

Agree here. I was competent with driving my Granite 3s and figured stepping up to K6 wouldn't be a big deal. It was a big deal. The amount of power the K6 has is on a different level. The amount of damage it can do to itself and others is also on another level. Ease into it.
Same, I got an Outcast 6s EXB 3 months into the hobby after getting pretty confident with Granite, Typhon and Senton. Man was I underprepared. I figured it out eventually but not only is it more power, but more parts, more maintenance, more everything. To me working on the 3s is like playing with lego duplo compared to working on the 6s stuff.

Same, I got an Outcast 6s EXB 3 months into the hobby after getting pretty confident with Granite, Typhon and Senton. Man was I underprepared. I figured it out eventually but not only is it more power, but more parts, more maintenance, more everything. To me working on the 3s is like playing with lego duplo compared to working on the 6s stuff.
@Moirae enters the room. 😆

All the best of luck to your son. Let him start at 50%.

I was coming from 3s/4s power but the 6s monster trucks are something else compared to the lower ‘S’ cars. I flipped the truck first trigger pull I had.

As time goes on he will get used to the power and will be asking for ESC and motor upgrades soon…..

Straight cut gears are noisy and whine. 💪😎

That said, if you do a good job of setting pinion spur mesh just right (with just a tick of play) noise can be reduced. The amount of 'cogging' on your motor ie, the magnetic notchy feel to your motor, also determines the sound when you roll or coast your rig. This cogging varies significantly between motors.

With RTR machines, the input/diff gears are set at the factory. Normally when we build a kit, this is set with shims to get it spot on. The better it's set, the quieter it is.

Bashers don't seem to worry all that much - sooner or later, the chassis will get all bent anyway. 🤣🤣

You should here Mod1.5 lolol... I have a seasoned RC buddy that has asked twice if my X-Maxx was ok, and they have probably 10 mod1 vehicles so they know this sound :ROFLMAO:

400494690_2360950074096235_558548450424106132_n.jpg

Straight cut gears are noisy and whine. 💪😎

That said, if you do a good job of setting pinion spur mesh just right (with just a tick of play) noise can be reduced. The amount of 'cogging' on your motor ie, the magnetic notchy feel to your motor, also determines the sound when you roll or coast your rig. This cogging varies significantly between motors.

With RTR machines, the input/diff gears are set at the factory. Normally when we build a kit, this is set with shims to get it spot on. The better it's set, the quieter it is.

Bashers don't seem to worry all that much - sooner or later, the chassis will get all bent anyway. 🤣🤣
Mmmm straight cut gears in a race car transmission.... Nothing better!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back