Notorious Brand new Notorious very hard to backflip?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGS348

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. First post here. Great forum with tons of great info. I have searched for an answer but not found anything.

I am not a totally new to this hobby but this one has me stumped. If I just launch it normally off the ramp, I can not blip the throttle and backflip. Its rotation is so slow that it will only make it half way around and land on its top. Only way to flip it is to blip the throttle on the face of the jump.

Now, this is in nothing like my Kraton or my buddys Notorious. Both of these flip very easy with a throttle blip.

So, initially i thought it was a diff issue even though everything seemed to be functioning properly. I took out all three, inspected and changed the fluids to 60/500/30 like I have in my Kraton. Made zero difference. I upped the punch to 6 and that changed nothing in the air. noticeably more get up and go though.

Thought maybe it was the transmitter or something so I tried my DX3 also and that made no difference either. I then did a factory reset on the ESC after rebinding factory transmitter, also no change. Its not the batteries as they all work great in my Kraton and the other Notorious.

So I am out of ideas and was hoping maybe someone here has figured out a similar issue. Only thing I can figure is maybe the ESC or motor is bad. I am not real sure how to troubleshoot those two though. I do have a good multimeter and all that if anyone knows what to look for.

oh yea, I did calibrate the transmitter, Neutral forward and reverse. Several times actually, no difference.

Try a bigger pinion? It’ll get hot quicker though. Also tire mass matters. I have 6s bf’s on my OC.

I have not tried a larger pinion as the other Notorious and Kraton but run the stock pinion.

The two Notorious are identical so this makes no sense to me at all.

Also, running stock backflips tires. I assume they are 6s as it’s a 6s truck 🤷‍♂️

I have not tried a larger pinion as the other Notorious and Kraton but run the stock pinion.

The two Notorious are identical so this makes no sense to me at all.

Also, running stock backflips tires. I assume they are 6s as it’s a 6s truck 🤷‍♂️
Weird. You may have to take the truck apart and inspect one thing at a time. Bad bearings? Maybe someone else will have an idea. You might be on to something with the motor/esc. If you still have a warranty, they may replace them.
Good luck!

Try the ESC from the Kraton and don't change any settings at all. If it works with the Kraton ESC then do a factory reset on your ESC.
Another thing I would try is put it on a stand above the ground and punch the throttle. Does the motor achieve max rpm? Do both red and green light show on the ESC at full throttle?

Try the ESC from the Kraton and don't change any settings at all. If it works with the Kraton ESC then do a factory reset on your ESC.
Another thing I would try is put it on a stand above the ground and punch the throttle. Does the motor achieve max rpm? Do both red and green light show on the ESC at full throttle?
This is exactly what I would do too.

First thing I did put of the box and what most stunt bashers do, is pinion up 2+ teeth and increase punch. I’d also recommend dropping timing to 15*

Monitor temps, install motor fan.

If a 14T pinion doesn’t wake it up to standing backflips like mine did out of the box, then I’d start changing ESC/motor on warranty. 500k in the center

Are any wires damaged going into any of your connections, half-assed solder joints? This will cause a power loss, yet good enough to run just not high motor rpm

I wasn’t aware of the led at full throttle. I will check that this evening when I get home.

If not, I’ll try the esc from the Kraton also. Was going to try that before but figured i would see if anyone on here had any ideas first.
If a 14T pinion doesn’t wake it up to standing backflips like mine did out of the box, then I’d start changing ESC/motor on warranty. 500k in the center
I’m talking about in the air backflips. I have zero interest in standing backflips as I have rebuilt enough diffs already. Not looking to rebuild more.
First thing I did put of the box and what most stunt bashers do, is pinion up 2+ teeth and increase punch. I’d also recommend dropping timing to 15*

Monitor temps, install motor fan.
All that makes sense. But we have two new notorious trucks here. One flips awesome in the air. Has what I would call air control. The other does not. It will not flip in the air by hitting the throttle.

They are both v5 6s running a single 6s 5,200 mah battery. I have a have increased
The punch to 6 on the non flipper and made no difference. Other one flips like crazy. Make no sense at all. They seem close to the same speed on the ground.

If will front flip like crazy though with a brake tap. Lol.

I did check wheel and diff bearings when I changed the fluids. All good.
Are any wires damaged going into any of your connections, half-assed solder joints? This will cause a power loss, yet good enough to run just not high motor rpm
All visible connections look fine. I’ll give them a closer inspection though.

Last edited:
I wasn’t aware of the led at full throttle. I will check that this evening when I get home.
Take the wheels and tires off and place the car in the bench. Make sure to not put the wheel nuts on the hex. Turn the car on and give it some throttle. Only the red light should stay on while giving it throttle. Now give it full throttle and both the red and green light should stay on indicating the motor and ESC have reached their full throttle/rpm. Let us know how it goes

I’m talking about in the air backflips. I have zero interest in standing backflips as I have rebuilt enough diffs already. Not looking to rebuild more.
If you think standing backflips aren’t a good reference to stability with air control and torque for ramp/bump flips, then continue to be cautious and have underwhelming bashes. 👍🏼

It’s more hurtful to diffs smashing the brake doing front flips than a slow roll to standing backflip.

I had an issue with the motor direction being reversed that sounds similar to what you describe. I changed the motor direction and rebind/recalibrate then it worked good. However that was with a castle ESC not spectrum.

The issue he is having is that he also has a Kraton and his buddy has Notorious that perform better than this Notorious does. All 3 cars are on the stock pinions. So to me it sounds more like an issue with either the esc or the motor.

The issue he is having is that he also has a Kraton and his buddy has Notorious that perform better than this Notorious does. All 3 cars are on the stock pinions. So to me it sounds more like an issue with either the esc or the motor.
Probably a garbage lipo first.

Rebind throttle end points. If not bound right from factory could be not hitting full throttle. Check punch settings to see if the ESC was mistakenly set to level one out of the box. If its set to one match to the other trucks. After that yeah I would question parts.

Are top speeds the same between the two Notorious'? Possible you are actually running in reverse (going forward) and forward (in reverse) with the channel switch reversed and have the motor wires connected wrong (or motor rotation is backwards in the ESC).

Hey guys. First post here. Great forum with tons of great info. I have searched for an answer but not found anything.

I am not a totally new to this hobby but this one has me stumped. If I just launch it normally off the ramp, I can not blip the throttle and backflip. Its rotation is so slow that it will only make it half way around and land on its top. Only way to flip it is to blip the throttle on the face of the jump.

Now, this is in nothing like my Kraton or my buddys Notorious. Both of these flip very easy with a throttle blip.

So, initially i thought it was a diff issue even though everything seemed to be functioning properly. I took out all three, inspected and changed the fluids to 60/500/30 like I have in my Kraton. Made zero difference. I upped the punch to 6 and that changed nothing in the air. noticeably more get up and go though.

Thought maybe it was the transmitter or something so I tried my DX3 also and that made no difference either. I then did a factory reset on the ESC after rebinding factory transmitter, also no change. Its not the batteries as they all work great in my Kraton and the other Notorious.

So I am out of ideas and was hoping maybe someone here has figured out a similar issue. Only thing I can figure is maybe the ESC or motor is bad. I am not real sure how to troubleshoot those two though. I do have a good multimeter and all that if anyone knows what to look for.

oh yea, I did calibrate the transmitter, Neutral forward and reverse. Several times actually, no difference.
Can you adjust the punch control ?

Back