Typhon Broke Motor (Need Recommendations)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoney

Reaction score
Actually figured out I bent the shaft of my typhon motor when the esc wire got caught in the gear mesh, so I’ll need to replace the motor. I don’t want to get an esc combo and they’re too expensive for my desire, but I wouldn’t mind upgrading to a nicer motor instead of getting a junk spektrum replacement.
I’d like to get something lower in kv (1650 ish) so that I could run the 20t pinion, on 6s. Is there any way to accomplish this with the stock esc, without soldering new connectors for it? Thank you all.

Might be news to you, but the 'junk spektrum' are some of the best motor out there for bashing.
JennyRC has them for cheap.
For perceived upgrades look into Surpass or Hobbystar motors, many consider these 'better' but they are the same in reality.
They do offer a wider variety in kV. Check Amazon.
Leopard or Hobbywing Max6 1650kV are other options, most need bullets soldered though.

Might be news to you, but the 'junk spektrum' are some of the best motor out there for bashing.
For perceived upgrades look into Surpass or Hobbystar motors, many consider these 'better' but they are the same in reality.
Leopard or Hobbywing Max6 1650kV are other options, most need bullets soldered though.
Thanks- did not realize they were good, have always thought people here disliked spektrum stuff. I’ll get the same motor.. thank you !

Agreed !

I’ve ran 23/50 gearing with stock 2050kv Spektrum and backflip tries and it held up great no issues at all. Don’t mind the 275 degree temps on 6s but it never failed I was trying to see how hard I could push it. Lol.

I’ve ran 23/50 gearing with stock 2050kv Spektrum and backflip tries and it held up great no issues at all. Don’t mind the 275 degree temps on 6s but it never failed I was trying to see how hard I could push it. Lol.
275??? how long did you do this for!!? Madness!
What backflips, 4s?

275??? how long did you do this for!!? Madness!
What backflips, 4s?
About a year and a half then upgraded the system. And yes 4s, on 6s with that gearing they blew out constantly.

Actually figured out I bent the shaft of my typhon motor when the esc wire got caught in the gear mesh, so I’ll need to replace the motor. I don’t want to get an esc combo and they’re too expensive for my desire, but I wouldn’t mind upgrading to a nicer motor instead of getting a junk spektrum replacement.
I’d like to get something lower in kv (1650 ish) so that I could run the 20t pinion, on 6s. Is there any way to accomplish this with the stock esc, without soldering new connectors for it? Thank you all.
not had any trouble with my spectrum motors have a few now it will be the esc your thinking is crap cause they sometimes go up in smoke

275F is impossible, the epoxy holding the magnets breaks down above 200F and there is no holding those in. My guess, you have a bad temp gun.
Unless they started using some high temp super epoxy that hasn't been invented yet ;)

275F is impossible, the epoxy holding the magnets breaks down above 200F and there is no holding those in. My guess, you have a bad temp gun.
Unless they started using some high temp super epoxy that hasn't been invented yet ;)
I thought the same but I’ve got a good temp gun too.

Technology has passed you by old timer. My HobbyStar v2 motor has a shut off option at 150C (302F). I’ve had the v1 up to 280F momentarily on the can with an IR, no rotor/stator coil damage and they’re certified to operate up to 135C.

That being said, I’d recommend a 4282 motor for your typhon. Nothing wrong with the 2050kV 4074, but you don’t need to be spinning those RPMs off-road. If it’s primarily a road car, that’s fine.

IMG_3149.jpeg

Technology has passed you by old timer. My HobbyStar v2 motor has a shut off option at 150C (302F). I’ve had the v1 up to 280F momentarily on the can with an IR, no rotor/stator coil damage and they’re certified to operate up to 135C.

That being said, I’d recommend a 4282 motor for your typhon. Nothing wrong with the 2050kV 4074, but you don’t need to be spinning those RPMs off-road. If it’s primarily a road car, that’s fine.

View attachment 311664
What’s the gearing on that? Looks sick. Can I use the stock spektrum esc with it?

What’s the gearing on that? Looks sick. Can I use the stock spektrum esc with it?

16/46 on 6S, the 150A Firma should have timing adjusted to 15* and it just won’t be able to monitor motor temps 👍🏼

16/46 on 6S, the 150A Firma should have timing adjusted to 15* and it just won’t be able to monitor motor temps 👍🏼
Why 15?
Thanks man.
Probably going to get a 4082 ish 1700kv motor and run 20t/50t. Should be a beast.

4-pole, Y-wind motors are typically most efficient between 0-15* timing. Should be fine at 22, the ESC will thermal well before you can burn up that motor

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back