Kraton broken diff pins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakeaowen15

Reaction score
last week during my bashing session i snapped the rear pin that holds the sun gear in on my rear diff, fixed it no problem. but this week during my bash i snapped the same pin on the same diff but the direct opposite side. anyone whey this is happening and what to do to prevent it?

last week during my bashing session i snapped the rear pin that holds the sun gear in on my rear diff, fixed it no problem. but this week during my bash i snapped the same pin on the same diff but the direct opposite side. anyone whey this is happening and what to do to prevent it?

Standing backflips, landing jumps on the throttle, and self righting are huge contributors of the output pins snapping..

Also be sure to check the pin bore in the output cups, they get oblong from the abuse, causing more room for a snapping action..

You can make your own pins out of drill blanks, they are more durable than the factory pins.. 👍

Standing backflips, landing jumps on the throttle, and self righting are huge contributors of the output pins snapping..

Also be sure to check the pin bore in the output cups, they get oblong from the abuse, causing more room for a snapping action..

You can make your own pins out of drill blanks, they are more durable than the factory pins.. 👍
ok thanks for your help

If you find a source for HS 2.25mm drill blanks that doesn't charge 15$ to ship please let us know!

This happens to my Kraton when I don't do a good job of matching the wheel speed to landing speed while jumping. My solution was to shake the rust off my skills and start landing properly.
Yeah but remember these trucks are marketed as bashers. when only the arrmas explode diffs while the competitors don’t. If arrma sees or claims to be the best bashers out there their diffs shoudlnt break that easily. They fixed that with the exb line but all of their RTR maybe except the typhon should have those diffs out of the box. I bash the living hell of my exbs and not a single diff issue. Everything slides in and out and back together again. I remember on my RTR diff i was using on the front. When it came the time to maintain it. The outdrives expended near the pins And it didnt want to come out trough the hole at all on both sides. Cut my finger open in the process of removing it. Had to use an hammer. Didnt have a vice at the time so i swore for an hour. That was 5-6 packs.

Last edited:
Sure, I agree that the dimensions and materials could be improved. The 6s line is really more of a 4s line IMO, as the design is adapted from 1/8 scale nitro, which is closer to 4s electric in performance. I wouldn't expect it to hold up to heavy bashing with 6s, and the EXB is better engineered for that purpose.

Slightly different take but, to my mind, I'd think that spring steel, because of its higher ductility in comparison to HS steel, offers a bit more flexibility (as the name already kind of implies) which, to my very limited understanding of metallurgy and materials application, seems like it would be a better fit for this particular use case. That's just a working hypothesis, I'm more than happy for someone with actual knowledge on the subject tell me why my "logic" is sound or faulty.

I suspect you're right. Spring steels also tend to be high in shear strength which is relevant here. HSS or other tool steels primarily optimised for hardness would be a brittle choice for this application. Convenient if you have broken or worn drill bits lying around and maybe better than stock, but I'd try piano wire first.

I suspect you're right. Spring steels also tend to be high in shear strength which is relevant here. HSS or other tool steels primarily optimised for hardness would be a brittle choice for this application. Convenient if you have broken or worn drill bits lying around and maybe better than stock, but I'd try piano wire first.
That was my read too but sometimes things are more convoluted so I didn't have that etched in stone just yet.

This might be against popular opinion but I bought a few regular BLX 6s diff spares based on lots of threads I found on this forum.

Besides the pins being a weak spot and proper shimming I read several bashers not having any issues with them.

@SrC swaps out the shims and pins with HSS blanks as well and sounds like they are 👌

This might be against popular opinion but I bought a few regular BLX 6s diff spares based on lots of threads I found on this forum.

Besides the pins being a weak spot and proper shimming I read several bashers not having any issues with them.

@SrC swaps out the shims and pins with HSS blanks as well and sounds like they are 👌
It's probably safe to say that there is more than one road that leads to Rome. There's more than one way to skin a cat. :)

I was pro BLX diffs being built right, but after 2 failures in one day I am converting mine to EXB as they fail
It makes me wonder how the Fireteams are holding up with regular diffs. They are crazy heavy.

What failures did you have with your diffs?

It makes me wonder how the Fireteams are holding up with regular diffs. They are crazy heavy.

What failures did you have with your diffs?
That day I had a sun gear let go, rebuilt it then the not very old drive cup failed where the pin goes through half a pack later.

Picked up my toys and went home after that

Found it:

At 3min50sec I find it very interesting the stock pins are also undersized.. this would cause all sorts of problems and mess up sun gears and outdrives.

Crazy part is he says the 2.25mm fit proper...

You never land on throttle with any rc.

you are praying that the cheese diffs holds up because you upgraded the cheese to not cheese itself like before. The sun gear will snap in half when it wishes to and theres nothing you can do. I believe theres a set of gears and spider gears that would fit but why go trought all that mess when theres a diff who is superior in every level at this point
My RTR diff was shimmed like rich duberbash. With the mugen seiki shims. The pin didnt fail most likely because i ran it on the front diff.
Found it:

At 3min50sec I find it very interesting the stock pins are also undersized.. this would cause all sorts of problems and mess up sun gears and outdrives.

Crazy part is he says the 2.25mm fit proper...
Most likely his outdrive hole got stretched its loose from factory yes even more after a pack or two

You never land on throttle with any rc.

you are praying that the cheese diffs holds up because you upgraded the cheese to not cheese itself like before. The sun gear will snap in half when it wishes to and theres nothing you can do. I believe theres a set of gears and spider gears that would fit but why go trought all that mess when theres a diff who is superior in every level at this point
My RTR diff was shimmed like rich duberbash. With the mugen seiki shims. The pin didnt fail most likely because i ran it on the front diff.

Most likely his outdrive hole got stretched its loose from factory yes even more after a pack or two
Haha! Cheese to not Cheese. (y)

Riddle me this though isn't the EXB diff guts just slightly larger "not cheese (sintered metal)"? :LOL:

At the end of reading so many opinions and having a buddy blow up his exb diff after a few packs (internals) I wasn't sure what was really going on. It feels like bad QA/QC all over again, some folks rip hard no issues and others problem after problem.

I will tear down the blx ones and inspect, I have a suspicion though the pins were undersized from the factory given the channel width on the sun gear and outdrive hole.

Last edited:
Haha! Cheese to not Cheese. (y)

Riddle me this though isn't the EXB diff guts just slightly larger "not cheese (sintered metal)"? :LOL:

At the end of reading so many opinions and having a buddy blow up his exb diff after a few packs (internals) I wasn't sure what was really going on. It feels like bad QA/QC all over again, some folks rip hard no issues and others problem after problem.

I will tear down the blx ones and inspect, I have a suspicion though the pins were undersized from the factory given the channel width on the sun gear and outdrive hole.
The exb has 6mm outdrive cups so the hole doesn't expand under use even during heavy bashing. The pin is 1-2mm thicker. The gears are not hollow like the RTR. Spider gears are smaller but wider and gives more contact patch on the sun gears

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back