Broken tool in screw head?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireDrake001

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon Mega
So I have a losi dbxle 2.0 and I went to service the center diff for the first time. Losi torqued it down so hard that a screw head broke and my tool broke inside the other screw head. What do you guys propose I do to get the broken piece out of the head? Drilling won’t do anything I tried. Also losi said that I’m not the og owner so they won’t help me.
IMG_3238.jpeg
IMG_3237.jpeg

So I have a losi dbxle 2.0 and I went to service the center diff for the first time. Losi torqued it down so hard that a screw head broke and my tool broke inside the other screw head. What do you guys propose I do to get the broken piece out of the head? Drilling won’t do anything I tried. Also losi said that I’m not the og owner so they won’t help me.View attachment 340986View attachment 340985

Use a dremel and small cutting wheel to make a slit (down into the broken tool bit and the screw itself) and use a big flathead screwdriver to back it out.
But, you'll probably need to hit it with some heat First
IMG_20240103_114714252.jpg

IMG_20240103_114923189.jpg

before using the flathead screw driver, to give you a better chance of getting that bolt unscrewed.

Last edited:
Well that stinks!! Sorry to hear. First, get on over to JRC and see if Ted's got a complete unit( I would). Then get yourself some quality drill bits and see if you can save at least the spur and "other" diff parts. The cup is likely a goner..they're aluminum right? Not saying it can't be saved, but I don't think I could save it.
You'll almost certainly need a cup and screws for the spur at least.
My guess is threadlocker ruined the deal. Heating the screws is basically a must with aluminum cup and steel screws.
Good luck brother!
Use a dremel and small cutting wheel to make a slit (down into the broken tool bit and the screw itself) and use a big flathead screwdriver to back it out.
But, you'll probably need to hit it with some heat First
View attachment 340993

View attachment 340994
before using the flathead screw driver, to give you a better chance of getting that bolt out.
That might get the one screw out.. but there's one that the head already snapped off of too..
If you can get that one out, might get away with just using 3 instead of 4 screws.. my K8S center diff "lost" a screw when some meathead(me) tried taking the screws out without heat..LOL
It's running with 3 of 4 now. Not sure how it will hold long term, fingers crossed.

Last edited:
H
Well that stinks!! Sorry to hear. First, get on over to JRC and see if Ted's got a complete unit( I would). Then get yourself some quality drill bits and see if you can save at least the spur and "other" diff parts. The cup is likely a goner..they're aluminum right? Not saying it can't be saved, but I don't think I could save it.
You'll almost certainly need a cup and screws for the spur at least.
My guess is threadlocker ruined the deal. Heating the screws is basically a must with aluminum cup and steel screws.
Good luck brother!

That might get the one screw out.. but there's one that the head already snapped off of too..
If you can get that one out, might get away with just using 3 instead of 4 screws.. my K8S center diff "lost" a screw when some meathead(me) tried taking the screws out without heat..LOL
It's running with 3 of 4 now. Not sure how it will hold long term, fingers crossed.
uh. Yeah I think they used thread lock then torqued it down more than they were supposed to. Makes me mad they have quality control on everything but the tightening of the screws

H

uh. Yeah I think they used thread lock then torqued it down more than they were supposed to. Makes me mad they have quality control on everything but the tightening of the screws

Please do not feel too bad we all have had an experience like that. As posted above, fire will be a needed tool. As soon as I see a part that needs this much force, I stop and I get the burner out. This will happen, or the tool will break off. A Dremel tool is needed now with that heat.

Good luck (y)

Please do not feel too bad we all have had an experience like that. As posted above, fire will be a needed tool. As soon as I see a part that needs this much force, I stop and I get the burner out. This will happen, or the tool will break off. A Dremel tool is needed now with that heat.

Good luck (y)
Here I am!! I knew all about it..until I took my brand new K8S center diff out, then apparently forgot all I know!! LOL been there, will likely do it again too. $hit happens, maybe I should have that tattoo on my forehead. LOL

Use a small, sharp, metal pic to remove the broken tool bit. No heat is required.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back