Brushed motor life.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snacktime

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
What's the life on these newer 550 motors that Arrma and others are putting in RTRs?

It seems like I have burned up 2 within 50 or so battery packs. I am kind of use to Tamiya Silver cans lasting longer than the plastic car itself. I thought I remembered Traxxas Titans Motors being just as bullet proof.

I know a lot of people will say brushless upgrade time but I like having a few slow rcs for when kids come over.

Brushed motors aren't built like they used to be brother. If you've been around a while im sure you know this already.

I swear they use butter for brushes now days and the coms wear like mad..
Doesn't help that these newer rc's are much much heavier then those older rc's. I think that is a huge factor.
Compare our rc10t-t4's, xxx-t's etc to a 4x4 granite/ big rock/ senton.. these new ones weigh twice-three times as much.. thats a lot to ask of them.

It's almost becoming as expensive to manufacture (or at least buy) a brushed motor as it is a brushless motor--almost. Aside from cogging and lack of lower end torque, there isnt much reason to go brushed unless you are looking to do something like crawling. Not to mention they should last much much longer with the only contacting parts being the bearings.

Trust me, you can make a brushless truck plenty slow. Ask me how I know. If 10 mph isn't slow enough, you need a crawler!

The Arrma 550 brushed motor not only doesn't last long but it's prone to breaking fins off the cooling fan when small rocks enter the vent. Although, I'm sure this issue isn’t exclusive to Arrma motors.

Last edited:
I've found the Traxxas Titan 550 motors to be the best of the brushed motors.
Me too, hands down. I’ve only ever roasted one, and that thing was rode hard and put up wet, literally, for years. When the bearings rusted I’d give them a squirt and turn it by hand to free them and just keep on trucking. And they’re cheap to replace. I’d recommend them all day long.

Both SUCK. Get a cheap brushless combo from Amazon (GoolRC is my fave) and just run 2S. Still gonna be really slow and your motors are gonna last a looooooooooooooonnnnnnggggg time.

Me too, hands down. I’ve only ever roasted one, and that thing was rode hard and put up wet, literally, for years. When the bearings rusted I’d give them a squirt and turn it by hand to free them and just keep on trucking. And they’re cheap to replace. I’d recommend them all day long.
I burned up like 7 of them before I went brushless. IDK how you had such good luck lol. I'd never buy brushed again. Maybe I just drive like a idiot. :unsure:

Both SUCK. Get a cheap brushless combo from Amazon (GoolRC is my fave) and just run 2S. Still gonna be really slow and your motors are gonna last a looooooooooooooonnnnnnggggg time.

I burned up like 7 of them before I went brushless. IDK how you had such good luck lol. I'd never buy brushed again. Maybe I just drive like a idiot. :unsure:
The Goolrc motors are ok. Never got hot, but the esc sucks balls.

Like true RC fans all options cost more than the actual truck lol.

I will buy a few Surpass motors off AliExpress. I think Hobbywing is going out of business they have zero esc in stock.

Like true RC fans all options cost more than the actual truck lol.

I will buy a few Surpass motors off AliExpress. I think Hobbywing is going out of business they have zero esc in stock.

You can order Mabuchi 550 motors (exactly what traxxas is using as thier "titan") for extremely cheap around the net.
Most of the 550 motors are exactly the same in reality. Just different stickers and names.
Drill motors.
Power wheels also use em.

You can order Mabuchi 550 motors (exactly what traxxas is using as thier "titan") for extremely cheap around the net.
Most of the 550 motors are exactly the same in reality. Just different stickers and names.
Drill motors.
I actually remember the old Tyco cars in the 90s using Mabuchi motors.

brushless motors are brill best thing to happen to rc ever been running them for years and still impressed with the speed and power and how long they last still got some brushless 6s motors from years ago and they just keep going. I have changed the front bearings in some but not sure it was really needed. also seized a few running too hard with no fans when I was new to brushless motors :rolleyes:

I only do brushless motors for all my rigs. exception, my 24 scale. Not into that part of the hobby. Even with crawlers, I think brushless is the way to go. I can get my Sport to crawl at like mm"s with no loss of torque. Just like that bunny. 🤣 . I can go as slow as I want , and have power to spare. On top of that it has more speed.

Drill motors.
Yeah, the original mabuchi motors predate cordless tools. I think originally, and likely still, they were compressor motors for refrigerators and other appliances.

Owning an Ecx Ruckus any cheap brushless system will be the best bet. On 2s they can still be plenty slow.

Owning an Ecx Ruckus any cheap brushless system will be the best bet. On 2s they can still be plenty slow.

Problem is I have 3s packs and curiosity.

Been hunting around AliExpress for brushed motors, and it seems Traxxas motors are gold on eBay. Most likely going to order a blx100 for the gorgon due to the bolt on mounting. Gorgon can then donate brushed motor to the weaker ecx drive train.

This thread is full of bad ideas... The ecx transmission took a dump half way through a battery on 2S with a 3650 can 2500kv motor. I blame all of you for the $35 gears I just ordered.

1713826525999.png

Back