Typhon Buggies are awesome!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshludden

Thai guy in Iowa
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Typhon 6s
Well, I came to the conclusion today that I love rcs, but more specifically I love buggies. Across all brands, always have. Love the styling, agility, speed, cornering/handling. Basically everything about them. I truggified & m2ced out my 1st typhon, got some bigger tires & built a ramp for it. I can't get enough of it!!(or spare parts 😆) I decided to build another one based on a typhon chassis w/ mojave arms (Jenny's mistake). That soon turned into a mongrel of sorts- stretched w/ a Kraton chassis, limitless shocks/towers. I think the only things typhon left are the gearboxes, hubs & body! That turned into my on road car & got me into speed running a little bit. My dreams of having a car that could melt a set of tires in the parking lot in 15 minutes & do the speed running thing were soon dashed by reality. 😕 Isolating my speed run car to only that application left me wanting an on road basher to do donuts, drift around shredding tires, you know, put a huge smile on my face. So here I am, gotta build another typhon- just typhon this time, unless I need something from another parts bag that is!! Here we go!😁🤘💪

20220712_170252.jpg

20220712_170831.jpg

Haha its so easy to end up with multiples of the same rig. I built 2 stretched typhons in the span of 2 weeks, 3 if you count the wifes. I also have a typhon TLR with kraton hubs etc and a typhon TLR GT.

Typhons are great!! :cool:

I'm new to the Typhon train and the second I pulled her out of the box and realized how light she was I got super excited to run her.
When I first pulled the trigger I almost shat myself! AND IT WAS ON 3S! :ROFLMAO:
I'm by no means a great driver so I'm not gonna lie I'll need to work my way up to 6s.:ROFLMAO:

I'm new to the Typhon train and the second I pulled her out of the box and realized how light she was I got super excited to run her.
When I first pulled the trigger I almost shat myself! AND IT WAS ON 3S! :ROFLMAO:
I'm by no means a great driver so I'm not gonna lie I'll need to work my way up to 6s.:ROFLMAO:
& you'll need a LOT MORE room to run it fast! 😉which by the looks of it you'll have plenty of here shortly. Congrats on all the great stuff going your way man!!😁👍🤙🍻

& you'll need a LOT MORE room to run it fast! 😉which by the looks of it you'll have plenty of here shortly. Congrats on all the great stuff going your way man!!😁👍🤙🍻
Thank you!
With my driving skills I may need more space still.:ROFLMAO:

Tinkering with Typhon’s is one of my favorite pastimes. Funny, I love the look of buggies, the agility, handling, but they just don’t do well out of the box for a lot of the terrain I drive in. I have put more time into getting my buggies dialed in to perform best in grassy parks and tougher terrain. I wish we had a lot of dirt where I am, but we just don’t, thick grass grows on everything in Connecticut that isnt actively covered in snow . However, once i get them set up right they are some of my most used rigs. my current fav is a Typhon with Mohave arms, Typhon towers and shocks woth heavier springs and oil… think rips woth a max8 combo.

Thought I'd update this thread since I just fell in love all over again!! 🥰😍I ended kind of building a tlr- the only things I didn't use were the shocks & chassis. Got the rest of the parts from Jenny's (towers, hingepin blocks, steering assembly etc) Ended up w/ a hobbywing 4985 1650kv max6 combo & oh my god did that little thing rip!!! So planted & nimble in the dirt/gravel- I could just give the wheel the slightest flick into the corners then hammer the throttle & do these awesome long, sweeping power slides!! On the street it was equally good- looked like a miniature f1 car zipping around a parking lot. Just the slightest rear end squat on throttle & then it would almost disappear out of sight if I didn't watch what I was doing 😆 This brings me to my current setup. Of course I absolutely shredded EVERY kind of tires possible, until I got some powerhobby belted buggy tires. Awesome performance w/ these although it does look like I will need to reglue them- after about 10/12 packs, which is a far sight better than anything else I've destroyed!! But, I digress. While jobsite bashing last week I just needed more ground clearance so I threw a set of talion Katars on it & I was blown away! Perfect clearance, belted, good on dirt etc. & it would wheelie for days!!!!🤣 The only downside was clearance on the body & the traction rolls, but I've got a plan to remedy that. But until I can do it properly I put some hex extenders on. Took it out for it's 1st bash tonight & fell head over heels in love with my buggy all over again- no traction rolls, wheelie on command & enough ground clearance to REALLY boogie across the rougher terrain. I give you the new & improved Derecho
Pics in somewhat chronological order

20220722_163550.jpg

20220722_172427.jpg

20220811_165007.jpg

20220826_000604.jpg

20220924_191453.jpg

20221007_125248.jpg

20221007_130702.jpg

20221011_172207.jpg

Are the internal parts different from the rtr typhon shocks? Or are they just black? Cuz they're like 1/2 the price of the rtrs @ Jenny's 🤯😡
Some of the internals are different. They really are like the best shocks haha. So much plusher out of the box. @SrC can explain it way better than me. You can buy the different parts and turn any shock into a typhon TLR shock apparently.

The TLRT Shocks have the same I.D. piston bore diameter. Same at the bottom cartridge end. What makes the TLRT different, more plush, are the Pistons, Bottom cartridge parts and uses an X-ring instead of an O-ring.
With the exception of the pistons, All the TLRT bottom cartridge parts, including the X-ring, must be used together as an assembly. You can't mix and match the bottom cartridge parts with standard 6s shock parts. Know that the TLRT pistons are "Tapered". Not so with the RTR pistons. IMHO, this also contributes to the better feel of the TLRT shocks. Tapered on one side. So they are directional. Tapered side down, makes for a faster rebound stroke.

TLRT Typhon shock bodies/shafts:

>Front-16x49mm/4x59.5mm
>Rear-16x57mm/4x70mm

6s RTR Typhon shafts:

>F-4x57mm
>R-4x64.5mm

The TLRT shock bodies are identical in dimension lengths ( F+R) to the 6s RTR Typhon.
However the Shafts on the on TLRT are longer. ( F+R)
This may help those doing a shock upgrade for their 4x4's, or upgrading the 6s RTR Typhon shocks to TLRT specs.
:cool:

Last edited:
Great thread. Myself I do mostly street. I love my 3 and 6 typhons and thats why I have a Limitless and a nother one on the way for parts for when I crash. Going to enjoy seeing your build !! :)

Last edited:
Bout a minute, minute and a half tops??!!!!😆

Body?
I’m waiting on a clear limitless body
Think I’m going to try painting for first time
Read some of the same actually, they look bad af but don't survive. Heavy too 🤷‍♂️
Yeah I bought them awhile ago when they were on sale because I liked the way they looked and only use them for photo ops! 😂😂😂

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back