Notorious Front bumpers are Notoriously easy to demolish

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborvitian

Daphne's Dad
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Outcast 4s
The forum keeps encouraging me to create a build thread, so I guess I will blather about my Notorious here.

The first thing I added was a heat sink and dual fan from NHX that sounds a bit like a Boeing 747. The fans are completely noxious, and make my teeth hurt, but they keep the motor cool no matter what dumb things I do. I tucked all the extra wiring into lengths of heat shrink tubing to help keep it out of the way.

1681089949860.png

First of all, the "real steel" paint scheme seemed like a childish gimmick to me. "Here kiddies, you're only 11, and you can't drive Daddy's car yet, so you can play Make Believe™ with this super awesome body!" In reality though, it ages better than a standard paint job, and it's pretty cool. I guess I'm an overgrown man child after all. I was married for 27 years, but my wife dumped me, and I haven't been too interested in having another one. All my money is going to pay for MY toys now, and I haven't bought new shoes or clothes in years.

1681088215312.png

I'm running Pro-Line Badlands MX38s on this thing, with metal hexes. I also got some belted Trenchers, but I'm going to put those in the classifieds whenever my account is in good enough standing to do so. This truck was a dog on the Trenchers. It wouldn't steer, and it wouldn't wheelie, because they're so massively wide and heavy. The non-belted Badlands have really performed very well on every kind of terrain, and while they balloon like crazy, none of them have exploded into rubber fragments yet, which puts them ahead of the dBoots Backflips that explode just driving in a straight line through grass.

1681090516485.png

When I thrashed the thing in a wicked cool location, I broke the wing mount. I'm not sure how an aluminum wing mount setup is going to perform, but I thought I'd try it. I added a massively beefy wheelie bar as well, both from Integy.

1681088403341.png

1681088424392.png

I probably can't use the wheelie bar with a stock wing support, and I am pretty amused with the wheelie bar. I did a wheelie for the entire length of my street, after adjusting the angle so it no longer back-flipped immediately. The jury is still out, but I like it so far. The real test will be when I see how it does at the coal dugout.

Anyway, the biggest problem I've had with the truck so far is the front bumper. It's the first thing I broke, within minutes of running the truck for the first time. Then I got an Integy aluminum skid plate, and I broke that too. I never break the bumper unless I screw up, but when I do screw up, it's pretty bad. It's like a '60s vehicle with no 5 mph bumpers. You hit the bumper, it crumples half the vehicle.

The truck is currently sitting here bumperless, with the lower pins exposed. Benched until repairs are made.

1681088627083.png

1681088701229.png

I've been trying to figure out what to do about that. The aluminum Integy skid plate performed acceptably in that it got destroyed without wrecking anything more expensive. That's good. What would be better would be a bumper that wouldn't transmit all of its force directly into the chassis. T-Bone used to make some awesome bumpers, but I already stepped in that pile of dog dookie, trying to buy one from what turned out to be a scammer. (I got my money back already. I'm ashamed that I didn't figure out I was about to get ripped off until the last stage of checkout, but at least I figured it out in time to do damage control.)

So I'm currently scratching my head trying to figure out a Better Bumper™. I need something in front of an Integy or comparable skid plate that can take some shock. I'm contemplating making something with shocks integrated into it. Model shocks aren't complicated. I could fabricate those, most likely. Or I could just use springs. I haven't really thought it through yet.

When the time comes, I probably have a shop good enough to get the job done.

1681090900819.png

1681090913948.png

Instead of working on the bumper problem, I've been pondering a custom body. I just don't like either of the stock colors that much. I don't like the stupid window stickers at all. The Notorious clear body doesn't come with window masks, and I've been pondering what to do about that for some time.

1. Transfer window stickers to a sheet of white paper
  2. Scan
  3. Import into GIMP
  4. Simplify window graphics into solid color shapes
  5. Copy/paste/flip a set of mirror images
  6. Import into Inkscape
  7. Trace outlines
  8. Export to SVG
  9. Import into Cricut
  10. Cut inside and outside masks on Cricut
That should work well. Mask the outside and the inside, and then try to do my own "real steel" paint job in my own color scheme.
  1. Spray Tamiya PS-12 (silver) on the inside of the body
  2. Spray PS-23 (gunmetal) on top of the silver
  3. Peel protective film off outside of shell
  4. Apply exterior window masks, exactly matching interior ones (tweezers and an OptiVisor are my friends here)
  5. Spray PS-1 (white) on outside of shell
  6. Mask off stripes
  7. Spray body color of choice (I'm thinking PS-54 Cobalt Green but I haven't decided)
Install roll cage and support parts.

Enjoy beautiful appearance for two seconds before beginning to screw it all up.

That's where I'm getting stuck. I'd love to do this, but it seems frivolous and even stupid.

Maybe there's a market for Notorious window masks?

I would recommend the outcast exb bumper with the 3drc spring. You can order it from Jenny’s it comes in a kit with exb chassis braces and some other goodies. I’d also recommend getting a Kraton roll cage and modifying it to fit the noto body. It makes the body hold up way better. I’d also ditch the aluminum wing mount. Get a 3drc flexible wing mount or the rpm hd mount.

557C46A4-CE71-41EF-AF49-CB4F6DED7041.jpeg

EXB outcast front bumper with 3DRC bumper support is bulletproof. Built in skid plate, easy/cheap upgrade

Body is a tank once you reinforce around the body mounts

E8D11D16-B270-4AD8-B773-302AEFCF3896.jpeg

15DE5074-F367-4AC7-80CC-A27CDDE2ACC6.jpeg

The forum keeps encouraging me to create a build thread, so I guess I will blather about my Notorious here.

The first thing I added was a heat sink and dual fan from NHX that sounds a bit like a Boeing 747. The fans are completely noxious, and make my teeth hurt, but they keep the motor cool no matter what dumb things I do. I tucked all the extra wiring into lengths of heat shrink tubing to help keep it out of the way.

View attachment 291691

First of all, the "real steel" paint scheme seemed like a childish gimmick to me. "Here kiddies, you're only 11, and you can't drive Daddy's car yet, so you can play Make Believe™ with this super awesome body!" In reality though, it ages better than a standard paint job, and it's pretty cool. I guess I'm an overgrown man child after all. I was married for 27 years, but my wife dumped me, and I haven't been too interested in having another one. All my money is going to pay for MY toys now, and I haven't bought new shoes or clothes in years.

View attachment 291679

I'm running Pro-Line Badlands MX38s on this thing, with metal hexes. I also got some belted Trenchers, but I'm going to put those in the classifieds whenever my account is in good enough standing to do so. This truck was a dog on the Trenchers. It wouldn't steer, and it wouldn't wheelie, because they're so massively wide and heavy. The non-belted Badlands have really performed very well on every kind of terrain, and while they balloon like crazy, none of them have exploded into rubber fragments yet, which puts them ahead of the dBoots Backflips that explode just driving in a straight line through grass.

View attachment 291702

When I thrashed the thing in a wicked cool location, I broke the wing mount. I'm not sure how an aluminum wing mount setup is going to perform, but I thought I'd try it. I added a massively beefy wheelie bar as well, both from Integy.

View attachment 291680
View attachment 291681
I probably can't use the wheelie bar with a stock wing support, and I am pretty amused with the wheelie bar. I did a wheelie for the entire length of my street, after adjusting the angle so it no longer back-flipped immediately. The jury is still out, but I like it so far. The real test will be when I see how it does at the coal dugout.

Anyway, the biggest problem I've had with the truck so far is the front bumper. It's the first thing I broke, within minutes of running the truck for the first time. Then I got an Integy aluminum skid plate, and I broke that too. I never break the bumper unless I screw up, but when I do screw up, it's pretty bad. It's like a '60s vehicle with no 5 mph bumpers. You hit the bumper, it crumples half the vehicle.

The truck is currently sitting here bumperless, with the lower pins exposed. Benched until repairs are made.

View attachment 291682
View attachment 291683

I've been trying to figure out what to do about that. The aluminum Integy skid plate performed acceptably in that it got destroyed without wrecking anything more expensive. That's good. What would be better would be a bumper that wouldn't transmit all of its force directly into the chassis. T-Bone used to make some awesome bumpers, but I already stepped in that pile of dog dookie, trying to buy one from what turned out to be a scammer. (I got my money back already. I'm ashamed that I didn't figure out I was about to get ripped off until the last stage of checkout, but at least I figured it out in time to do damage control.)

So I'm currently scratching my head trying to figure out a Better Bumper™. I need something in front of an Integy or comparable skid plate that can take some shock. I'm contemplating making something with shocks integrated into it. Model shocks aren't complicated. I could fabricate those, most likely. Or I could just use springs. I haven't really thought it through yet.

When the time comes, I probably have a shop good enough to get the job done.

View attachment 291703
View attachment 291704
I would advise against using the aluminum wing mount on your basher, it's gonna transfer a lot of energy into more expensive components- mainly your diff housing. @3d-rc.myshopify.com are all I use now & I've never broken one. As for the front bumper, I really like the gpm model for it's springiness & the fact it's got a skid plate built in- it attaches to the chassis w/ the 4 screws that go into the front diff
Edit- rpm front bumper

Last edited:
I would recommend the outcast exb bumper with the 3drc spring. You can order it from Jenny’s it comes in a kit with exb chassis braces and some other goodies
I dug around Jenny's for an hour, and if what you're talking about still exists, I can't find it.

Okay, fine, it's probably not a viable long-term solution, but I found some take-off parts on eBay, and bought two sets. As much as I like working in my shop, I'm also lazy, and the math of how many inch pounds per cubic zirconium was making my head ache. I can build my custom bumper later.

As far as 3d-rc.myshopify.com, that site is suuuuuuuper sketchy.

I dug around Jenny's for an hour, and if what you're talking about still exists, I can't find it.

Okay, fine, it's probably not a viable long-term solution, but I found some take-off parts on eBay, and bought two sets. As much as I like working in my shop, I'm also lazy, and the math of how many inch pounds per cubic zirconium was making my head ache. I can build my custom bumper later.

The Outcast EXB has been discontinued so Jenny's no longer carries the parts. You will have to buy the parts separately. Here is one on ebay from lumidave https://www.ebay.com/itm/1441409442...gH8wY9CSNK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
You will also need 2 m3x16mm countersunk screws, 3 m4x16 countersunk screws, 2 m3x14 button head screws and 2 m3x12 button head screws iirc.

3drc is 100% legit, he's been a member on here for as long as I can remember. If you have any questions you may ask @3d-rc.myshopify.com here personally.

😂 @3d-rc.myshopify.com is definitley NOT sketchy! Not only does he make quality parts he has stellar customer service! I have his wing mounts and bumper springs on all my 6s and 8s rigs. 👍🏼

😂 @3d-rc.myshopify.com is definitley NOT sketchy! Not only does he make quality parts he has stellar customer service! I have his wing mounts and bumper springs on all my 6s and 8s rigs. 👍🏼
The Outcast EXB has been discontinued so Jenny's no longer carries the parts. You will have to buy the parts separately. Here is one on ebay from lumidave https://www.ebay.com/itm/1441409442...gH8wY9CSNK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
You will also need 2 m3x16mm countersunk screws, 3 m4x16 countersunk screws, 2 m3x14 button head screws and 2 m3x12 button head screws iirc.

3drc is 100% legit, he's been a member on here for as long as I can remember. If you have any questions you may ask @3d-rc.myshopify.com here personally.
Thanks guys 🥰 I try to help any way I can👍

The “can’t teach an old dog new tricks” mentality is strong with this one…

Last edited:
Thanks guys 🥰 I try to help any way I can👍
What's sketchy about the site is that every item has a bunch of superfluous junk attached, and there are just tons of things that shouldn't be there. It looks like a partially filled out template, and having just fallen for the T-Bone scam, I wasn't sure I had actually found the real site.

I knew there was a real site out there somewhere, and never questioned your integrity as an individual. It's not like I clicked a link in the original message that led to a part I was supposed to buy. I was given a bread crumb trail from @your_name to your profile page here. The first thing listed there is from December. I think T-Bone was still alive in December. Were you still around? Where was the link to your store? I didn't know.

I found that link on the About tab just now, but it wasn't obvious while I was clicking through all this at the end of a long day. I ended up finding your store through Google, which left no guarantee that I had found the real thing.

Then all this stuff I have pasted from a random item listing on your site:

Add a title to introduce your product's features​

Feature a compelling customer review about your product or brand.​

- CUSTOMER NAME HERE -

Image with text​

Pair text with an image to focus on your chosen product. Add details on availability, style, or even provide a review.

Taking a step back and looking at all of this again, I would have chosen a more tactful word than "sketchy," but I see why I was hesitant. Especially after I just got burned by T-Bone.

Taking a step back and looking at all of this again, I would have chosen a more tactful word than "sketchy," but I see why I was hesitant. Especially after I just got burned by T-Bone.
I ordered the high wing mount, and two of the bumper springs. Does everybody feel better now, or do I have to watch my back to check for torches and pitch forks? 🤣

Nah
Everyone just looking out for a stand up guy on the forum .
This is a good group on her….
For what it’s worth I just ordered ,
for one of my sons NOTO ,
a @3d-rc.myshopify.com wing mount !!
Fastest shipping ever!!!!!!!
And included stickers!!!!!
Who doesn’t want stickers !!!!
Only business I’ve done with the company .
I knew from these forum ya hoos it was trustworthy place .
I will say I don’t blame a fella for trying not to get ripped off on internet site !!!!
But now you know they are a stand up company !!
RFB

@3d-rc.myshopify.com is a member. Legit. From Michigan and I have a wing mount and bumper cushion for my Talion. I’ve never met him in person but I’m going to. He’s only 15-20 min up the road. And if @Notorious J hasn’t broken one? The product is legit too! Did I say he’s a fellow Michigander? 😂 〽️ Just check out the thread of “is this legit?” Thread. Scams for days. We lookout for everyone who joins! Buy with confidence and trust me. You’ll love it.

What's sketchy about the site is that every item has a bunch of superfluous junk attached, and there are just tons of things that shouldn't be there. It looks like a partially filled out template, and having just fallen for the T-Bone scam, I wasn't sure I had actually found the real site.

I knew there was a real site out there somewhere, and never questioned your integrity as an individual. It's not like I clicked a link in the original message that led to a part I was supposed to buy. I was given a bread crumb trail from @your_name to your profile page here. The first thing listed there is from December. I think T-Bone was still alive in December. Were you still around? Where was the link to your store? I didn't know.

I found that link on the About tab just now, but it wasn't obvious while I was clicking through all this at the end of a long day. I ended up finding your store through Google, which left no guarantee that I had found the real thing.

Then all this stuff I have pasted from a random item listing on your site:

Add a title to introduce your product's features​

Feature a compelling customer review about your product or brand.​

- CUSTOMER NAME HERE -

Image with text​

Pair text with an image to focus on your chosen product. Add details on availability, style, or even provide a review.

There used to be reviews and stuff there maybe the review plugin went bonkers?

I miss my mill and lathe !!
Nice build thread!!!
Good looking NOTO !
I'm glad I haven't yet gotten desperate enough to consider selling any of that stuff. I don't use it often, but it's there. It's not the greatest setup on earth, but it's dialed in, and I have a bunch of tooling. It's all money I start to question during these trying economic times, but even if I don't use my dividing head very often, it's not like I'm going to wear it out in my lifetime. It's a little more questionable whether or not I did the right thing when I got mad at my crappy tool post and my crappy vise, and I went out and bought a real Aloris AXA and a real Kurt DX4.

I probably could have been happy cheaper, but ain't nothing like owning the real thing. Especially the Kurt. It's so much better than my cheap knockoff, it's pretty ridiculous.

Anyway, here is the hardest thing I ever made in that shop so far. It's a lantern pinion for Conover's American clock movement. I got this far last fall, and then I had to close up shop, because my shop is not heated. I have a long way to go on that clock, and now I'm distracted with all this new RC stuff. So many projects, so little time. Anyway, this is my lantern pinion sitting on a John Wilding book.

1681189223877.png

I appreciate all the kind words everybody. I didn’t know there was something wrong with the website when I get home from work today I’ll have to take a look into that. I hope everybody’s having a wonderful day.
Any chance you would be able to screenshot and send me what it was you were talking about I just took a look and it looked OK on my side. I know I’m no web designer or anything. Maybe I can pick your brain to make it better

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back