Cant decide on a power supply

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mechanicos

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Kraton EXB
Hi everyone, i am planning on buying the ToolkitRC M6D charger, it has decent wattage and can charger 2x batteries at once, it also gives the resistance of the cells. It looks ok.

https://www.toolkitrc.com/m6d
M6D input power is
  • Input: 7-28V@MAX30A
I am planning on charging at a maximum of 2x 3S 5300mah lipo batteries at once.

Therefore the wattage i need is:
(3S) WATTS = 12.6V x 5.3A = 67WATTS
67W x 2 = 134watts

Then if you add inefficiencies etc, lets say i will need 200watts in total for the maximum i will charge for 2x 3s lipos.

However i cant decide on the power supply, first of all due to availability and secondly i was thinking that i may need an adjustable voltage PSU.

What do you guys think?
Shall i go with the SkyRC efuel 380w and be done with it?

https://www.skyrc.com/PSU/efuel380

Have you looked at the Hota D6 Plus ? it is 2 x 150W AC - 2 x 325W DC and can do 1 x 210W AC. More than enough for what you need to do, it's cheaper and you don't need to carry around a separate power supply. In the future if you need more power you could purchase a power supply and the Hota will put out even more watts than the M6D. I've had one for a while now and I love it.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the Hota D6 Plus ? it is 2 x 150W AC - 2 x 325W DC and can do 1 x 210W AC. More than enough for what you need to do, it's cheaper and you don't need to carry around a separate power supply. In the future if you need more power you could purchase a power supply and the Hota will put out even more watts than the M6D. The only thing it doesn't do is check the internal resistance. I've had one for a while now and I love it.
I thought it did check IR? Well that is kind of a bummer.

Have you looked at the Hota D6 Plus ? it is 2 x 150W AC - 2 x 325W DC and can do 1 x 210W AC. More than enough for what you need to do, it's cheaper and you don't need to carry around a separate power supply. In the future if you need more power you could purchase a power supply and the Hota will put out even more watts than the M6D. The only thing it doesn't do is check the internal resistance. I've had one for a while now and I love it.
But how much Amperes is the maximum for the input when used with AC?

I am confused....I am looking around for AC chargers because i cant find the Hota D6 Plus in europe and i have come across the ToolkitRC M6DAC and it says that the input is 100-240V @ max 2.5A. does this mean that the M6DAC can only charge at 2.5A? Then what about the Hota D6 plus?

IMG_20220510_141521.jpg

But how much Amperes is the maximum for the input when used with AC?

I am confused....I am looking around for AC chargers because i cant find the Hota D6 Plus in europe and i have come across the ToolkitRC M6DAC and it says that the input is 100-240V @ max 2.5A. does this mean that the M6DAC can only charge at 2.5A? Then what about the Hota D6 plus?

View attachment 216666
No it does not. That is the maximum amperage INPUT to the charger IF running on AC wall power. You are thinking the OUTPUT, which is on these specs as "Charge/Discharge". That is the part to worry about. Any of these you just plug into your wall outlet and don't worry about it.

No it does not. That is the maximum amperage INPUT to the charger IF running on AC wall power. You are thinking the OUTPUT, which is on these specs as "Charge/Discharge". That is the part to worry about. Any of these you just plug into your wall outlet and don't worry about it.
Ok, now i get it, so when a charger is AC, it should output what is written on the specs. Well after checking the M6DAC it doesn't say anything about AC output.

Can someone tell what is the total output of the charger per channel at AC?

Ok i got it its 200W max so 100 W per channel

Last edited:
Got tired of looking around, couldnt find the HOTA D6+ anywhere, the M6DAC has a low value for balancing current compared to others, the ISDT K2 its not that powerfull and for a price difference of 30euros decided to go with the ISDT K4 600W.

Looks like a solid choice. Are you going to get a power supply for it or just run it on AC?

Got tired of looking around, couldnt find the HOTA D6+ anywhere, the M6DAC has a low value for balancing current compared to others, the ISDT K2 its not that powerfull and for a price difference of 30euros decided to go with the ISDT K4 600W.
ISDT makes some real nice chargers.

Hi everyone, i am planning on buying the ToolkitRC M6D charger, it has decent wattage and can charger 2x batteries at once, it also gives the resistance of the cells. It looks ok.

https://www.toolkitrc.com/m6d
M6D input power is
  • Input: 7-28V@MAX30A
I am planning on charging at a maximum of 2x 3S 5300mah lipo batteries at once.

Therefore the wattage i need is:
(3S) WATTS = 12.6V x 5.3A = 67WATTS
67W x 2 = 134watts

Then if you add inefficiencies etc, lets say i will need 200watts in total for the maximum i will charge for 2x 3s lipos.

However i cant decide on the power supply, first of all due to availability and secondly i was thinking that i may need an adjustable voltage PSU.

What do you guys think?
Shall i go with the SkyRC efuel 380w and be done with it?

https://www.skyrc.com/PSU/efuel380
So I realize you are going a difference direction, but wanted to comment on "I'll only use 134W". Once you get the charge, and use it a bit, you will want to start to push the charge times. 2C or better is wonderful, assuming you are buying decent batteries. But, if you start to push your AC/DC converter, you will burn it out.

TLDR, the charger is rated for 500W, so get 600w PSU minimum.

It does. While in charging mode press the down arrow when you’re on a channels screen. Only reads IR while charging.
Yeah this charger has the same GUI as my Hobbymate D6 Duo Pro. Reads IR's during the "charge cycle only". Just Toggle to that screen.

I don't think the OP even needs a PSU with this charger charging 2 x 5300 packs. IDK.:unsure:
2.5 amps input is just that. The input amps from the power source. For charging (output) it supplies more as needed to the lipos.
I use this PSU from RDQ. It is 24 volts/400wats. Required at a minimum. Getting 200 watts per channel. 16.7 amps output to the lipos.(y) I can charge 2 6s 6Kmah bricks within one hour. That is perfect for charging at a 1C rate. (My HM D6 Duo pro and PSU together)
Don't use a 12v PSU.(n)(n)

https://www.racedayquads.com/produc...argers-and-others?_pos=5&_sid=79601a46c&_ss=r

Last edited:
I like that the D6+ only reads IR during the charge cycle because the reading is not accurate otherwise and can mislead people into thinking cells are bad when they're not. If this is intentional design by the engineers then I applaud them. My brand new batteries had readings from 2-15mΩ on a cell checker with no charge current flowing, 2-4mΩ near full charge on the D6+. I can only assume perfectly good batteries have been returned or thrown out because users weren't aware of this.

Yeah this charger has the same GUI as my Hobbymate D6 Duo Pro. Reads IR's during the "charge cycle only". Just Toggle to that screen.

I don't think the OP even needs a PSU with this charger charging 2 x 5300 packs. IDK.:unsure:
2.5 amps input is just that. The input amps from the power source. For charging (output) it supplies more as needed to the lipos.
I use this PSU from RDQ. It is 24 volts/400wats. Required at a minimum. Getting 200 watts per channel. 16.7 amps output to the lipos.(y) I can charge 2 6s 6Kmah bricks within one hour. That is perfect for charging at a 1C rate. (My HM D6 Duo pro and PSU together)
Don't use a 12v PSU.(n)(n)

https://www.racedayquads.com/produc...argers-and-others?_pos=5&_sid=79601a46c&_ss=r

This is something that I still struggle to make sense out of, you have some of these DC chargers that require a 30v 1400w 60a power supply to be able to utilize their full power but trying to find a power supply that can actually output that much power is not that easy. I found one on eBay that is 30v and 1400w but only 47a. For my charger I need 18v, 800w and 60a.
Input Voltage Range: DC 12 - 18 Volts DC
Required Input Amperage: 60 Amps
Charger Circuit Power: 400 Watts x 2

You can get 60A/1400W quite easily by wiring server PSUs in parallel. Not a very portable solution but there's probably not much use for 1400W in the field anyway unless you're charging everyone's batteries.

You can get 60A/1400W quite easily by wiring server PSUs in parallel. Not a very portable solution but there's probably not much use for 1400W in the field anyway unless you're charging everyone's batteries.
Yeah that is the only solution is to make your own power supply. I haven't been able to find an 18v, 800w 60a power supply, I've found one that does around 45a though.

This is something that I still struggle to make sense out of, you have some of these DC chargers that require a 30v 1400w 60a power supply to be able to utilize their full power but trying to find a power supply that can actually output that much power is not that easy. I found one on eBay that is 30v and 1400w but only 47a. For my charger I need 18v, 800w and 60a.
Input Voltage Range: DC 12 - 18 Volts DC
Required Input Amperage: 60 Amps
Charger Circuit Power: 400 Watts x 2
I feel your pain. you are correct.
I find PSU's to be a dime a dozen. But finding the right one, to get the max of your charger can be hard to do.
It isn't so much the Input amps of the charger that matters. That will always be relative to the Input volts and watts.
It is the output amps (watts) to the charger that does matter. If I understood you right.
:giggle:

I feel your pain. you are correct.
I find PSU's to be a dime a dozen. But finding the right one, to get the max of your charger can be hard to do.
It isn't so much the Input amps of the charger that matters. That will always be relative to the Input volts and watts.
It is the output amps (watts) to the charger that does matter. If I understood you right.
:giggle:
Input is 60a but the max output is 20a per channel.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back