Notorious Car making some grinding noises

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotorBalls

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Outcast 8s
  3. Senton 3s
Maiden drive and already broken? Brand new car, I believe it's a v5 and I ran it on 2 gensacearespammers 6000mah 3s 100c batteries. Was just ripping it across a field doing mostly high speed runs for about 10-15 min when I lost power and it started sounding funny. Both wheels turn. Am I looking at diffs possibly? I've never worked on or replaced diffs before so I'm not sure where to start if that's even the problem. Been searching the forums looking for similar issues. I may have overpowered the girl from what I've read?

Take it apart.

Maiden drive and already broken? Brand new car, I believe it's a v5 and I ran it on 2 gensacearespammers 6000mah 3s 100c batteries. Was just ripping it across a field doing mostly high speed runs for about 10-15 min when I lost power and it started sounding funny. Both wheels turn. Am I looking at diffs possibly? I've never worked on or replaced diffs before so I'm not sure where to start if that's even the problem. Been searching the forums looking for similar issues. I may have overpowered the girl from what I've read?
Post me a video of it making the sound please. Post a pic of the pinion and spur gear mesh too for me please. We should be able to figure it out for you. @jondilly1974 @Doom! @Camaroboy383 @3d-rc.myshopify.com @Rcproponent lets see if we can get him fixed up boys.

Could you please elaborate. Sounding funny. Is the rpm of the motor still increasing when you pull the throttle? Does it move under it's own power at all? Did you have the optional high speed gearing in it? Like @FatCatRC stated above. A video will do wonders for us try to help you diagnose the issue. 👍

You can’t “overpower” a stock car unless you ran it on two 4S lipos, which the ESC wouldn’t take anyways. So it’s not about the lipos. My guess is you overheated the motor doing hot laps. Pull the pinion off the spur and roll it by hand and see how smooth it feels. Then try spinning the pinion by hand. See which feels wrong.

It moved under it's own power yesterday but wasn't fast. Video I just took today it feels punchy but didn't try for high speed and has that crunchy sound. I'm guessing no optional high speed gearing, how might I check for that? It doesn't appear there is anything disconnected.

Here's the vid

20210819_172418.jpg

20210819_172432.jpg

Mesh between spur and pinion is my guess. But I'm no where near as knowledgeable as some of the others on here.

It moved under it's own power yesterday but wasn't fast. Video I just took today it feels punchy but didn't try for high speed and has that crunchy sound. I'm guessing no optional high speed gearing, how might I check for that? It doesn't appear there is anything disconnected.

Here's the vid

View attachment 164760

View attachment 164761
That sounds like diffs slipping, ring and pinion. Since it happens forward AND reverse, it may be both. Usually forward acceleration clicking is the rear and braking or reverse noise is the front.

SO you lost power....and I'm guessing it wasn't due to LVC? Have you tried ripping on it full throttle since it happened with a full Batt? Just a quick pull to see what it does or is it still not going anywhere on full throttle? I didn't put headphones on but it honestly didn't sound that bad to me lol I could be way wrong though haha

check pinion on motor if its ok theres a tooth missing on front or rear diff

Took me 7 months to finally dig into this...sad I know, but I have a few other working trucks and I thought this job was going to be much harder. I guess I was just frustrated with a new truck having problems right out of the box so I just let it sit.

So I pulled the truck off the stand that I had it sitting on and found it'd leaked diff fluid and some black crud from the center. Pulled the center diff and sure enough no fluid and a mess. The screws holding the diff together did not seem as tight as they should have been and the fluid certainly leaked from the connection point where the seal is made. Sorry I don't know all the technical terms as this is my first time doing this work.

I'm guessing I'll need a rebuild kit for this mess. What's the best way to clean all the oil off? Brake cleaner didn't seem to work. I have some mineral spirits is that safe enough to use on the metal pieces to clean up? I've already thrown the gear at the top, the pin behind it, and a shim in some but haven't done anything with the parts pictured. I assume most of it's not going to be salvageable anyway.

Also, I can't seem to pull it out with pliers, aren't they supposed to slide out easily?

20220313_132705.jpg

Last edited:
Plastic melted? Outside casing is all lumpy and scraped bits of plastic off from behind the top planetary gear. Might explain why I can't get the satellite gears out. Don't think it's supposed to look like this lol

Plastic melted? Outside casing is all lumpy and scraped bits of plastic off from behind the top planetary gear. Might explain why I can't get the satellite gears out. Don't think it's supposed to look like this lol
Yep it ran dry and overheated the gears, melting the cup. Pretty standard when the diff gasket fails or the screws aren't fully seated. Buy a new diff on Jenny's RC.

Yep it ran dry and overheated the gears, melting the cup. Pretty standard when the diff gasket fails or the screws aren't fully seated. Buy a new diff on Jenny's RC.
Thanks, I ordered one from Jenny's...do they sell OEM or is it an "upgrade?"

I've learned a lot in the last couple of years being new to RCs...I guess in the future I'll be sure to take the diffs apart to fill them up since there was barely any fluid in the front and rear on my rig. At least that will ensure that the screws are seated properly so I don't have this issue again. Would think quality control would be better from the factory so these types of issues don't happen to new hobbyists. I kinda want to pull them out again to make sure they're shimmed properly since I just learned that's a thing too.

Thanks, I ordered one from Jenny's...do they sell OEM or is it an "upgrade?"

I've learned a lot in the last couple of years being new to RCs...I guess in the future I'll be sure to take the diffs apart to fill them up since there was barely any fluid in the front and rear on my rig. At least that will ensure that the screws are seated properly so I don't have this issue again. Would think quality control would be better from the factory so these types of issues don't happen to new hobbyists. I kinda want to pull them out again to make sure they're shimmed properly since I just learned that's a thing too.
Jenny's buys rigs and takes them apart to sell piece by piece.

My notorious sounds crunchy and I put a new center diff in and still sounds crunchy

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back