Car stand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacktavious

ora et labora
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
  2. Typhon 3s
So I’m thinking about picking up a car stand. There are many to choose from on Amazon, most of them are aluminum with adjustable heights, and a magnetic strip on the base to hold parts. I kind of like the Duratrax one with the parts tray in the base. My LHS keeps the Duratrax in stock for a little more than what Amazon sells them for. Any thoughts out there on what’s good? Any thoughts on building a homemade one?

Attachments

• 38ECEBE8-10A0-47FE-94C3-7918E92E89C8.jpeg
    38ECEBE8-10A0-47FE-94C3-7918E92E89C8.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 88
  • F0C5E737-A8E2-43EA-8DB0-26C1E14A048A.jpeg
    F0C5E737-A8E2-43EA-8DB0-26C1E14A048A.jpeg
    406.5 KB · Views: 72
  • D117934C-AEF7-4D68-829A-2DB762B7D705.jpeg
    D117934C-AEF7-4D68-829A-2DB762B7D705.jpeg
    442.4 KB · Views: 67
Man, I just use yoga blocks but I've been thinking of a standing design with parts trays similar to a wheel grinder stand or lighter vice stand.
The blocks are tall enough for 1:8 and cheap. I have a couple other stands too but the blocks always seem to be the go-to.

https://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Essentials-Yoga-Block-Set/dp/B075W63K67/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3OFZJWVTKATYL&dchild=1&keywords=yoga+blocks+2+pack&qid=1583383578&sprefix=yoga+blocks,aps,171&sr=8-5&th=1

I want something like this on wheels but with movable, magnetic parts trays surrounding at different levels.

https://www.amazon.com/Grinder-HTC-...rds=wheel+grinder+stand&qid=1583383748&sr=8-1

Man, I just use yoga blocks but I've been thinking of a standing design with parts trays similar to a wheel grinder stand or lighter vice stand.
The blocks are tall enough for 1:8 and cheap. I have a couple other stands too but the blocks always seem to be the go-to.

https://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Essentials-Yoga-Block-Set/dp/B075W63K67/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3OFZJWVTKATYL&dchild=1&keywords=yoga+blocks+2+pack&qid=1583383578&sprefix=yoga+blocks,aps,171&sr=8-5&th=1
I have always used cans of Baked Beans haha. Not real stable.

Attachments

• E3ECD222-4032-4EDE-8E2E-D356D5E4A43A.jpeg
    E3ECD222-4032-4EDE-8E2E-D356D5E4A43A.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 46
I have a few. The above I don't have. I find some of them are not tall enough for my 6S rigs with the wheels on. The pictures don't describe the size well enough. I made some stands out of 4x4 blocks of would and finished them with stain and Varnish. I also see others use Yoga blocks that are large enough. I have parts trays (magnetic )separately for parts. But the one stand I do have that is too short most of the time has a shock holder which is invaluable when rebuilding your shocks. The one you are looking at does also. With 4 holes as shock stands so oil doesn't spill out while they aerate to let the air out when rebuilding them. I would buy large yoga blocks next time around. The swivel features of some stands don't really help IMO. But some like that feature. :)

I have the duratrax one and I like the parts tray for convenience. What I don't like is that the bottom has no feet, its just the plastic mold sitting on the table so it slide away from me a lot when working on stuff. I added my own rubber feet to keep it from sliding and called it good. If you get one of those get a light/bright colored one because it's easier to see the tiny black screws vs a tray that's black or dark blue lol. I personally went with obnoxious orange.

I have the duratrax one and I like the parts tray for convenience. What I don't like is that the bottom has no feet, its just the plastic mold sitting on the table so it slide away from me a lot when working on stuff. I added my own rubber feet to keep it from sliding and called it good. If you get one of those get a light/bright colored one because it's easier to see the tiny black screws vs a tray that's black or dark blue lol. I personally went with obnoxious orange.
Agreed for vision. I made a mistake of getting black hobby mats and regret it.

I have the duratrax, had it for years and still kicking.

I’ve been using a 4 foot aluminum step ladder. Set the car on top, use the flip down tray to hold a magnetic parts bowl and tools. Good solution if you don’t need to sit down to work on them.

I use a piece of 4x4 (deck post cut off) with felt furniture pads. I like that it stays put and doesn't swivel and its cheap.

I’ve been using a 4 foot aluminum step ladder. Set the car on top, use the flip down tray to hold a magnetic parts bowl and tools. Good solution if you don’t need to sit down to work on them.
I use my 4ft fiberglass ladder when out bashing as a “race stand” ?? works great

I use a piece of 4x4 (deck post cut off) with felt furniture pads. I like that it stays put and doesn't swivel and its cheap.
Did the same. 4x4 block Works like a charm. Swivel seems great on stands. But in reality, its a PIA. Works against you.

I've heard of using a drum stand. I thought about a camera tripod with something mounted on top. For a tray, you could get a dollar store baking sheet and drill a hole in the middle, put it between lower parts of whatever stand if it has multiple parts that screw together.

I just use a small cardboard box. I've thought about a stand, but a box is free and works fine for me . . .

I started with the Duratrax but it swiveling on its own, sliding when trying to apply pressure, and not being fully secured pushed me towards the Red Stand you have pictured. I was able to find it in Blue and you can lock the swivel part with a grub screw, along with having some decent height for the stand itself. Shock Holder design is just genius, can't go without now.

As other have stated as well Yoga blocks, 4x4 Wood Blocks, I've also seen people use the thicker plastic Tupperware square bowls as stands and flip them over to collect all the parts and screws for their repair/upgrade/breakdown. ✌ ?

I started with the Duratrax but it swiveling on its own, sliding when trying to apply pressure

One or two wraps of masking tape on the shaft stiffens the swivel enough for me.

Also for when I am in the field I use harbor freight magnetic parts trays, keeps me from losing screws when out and about. I leave it magnetically stuck on the lift gate of my truck with a microfiber cloth under it. One time I even forgot it was there and I drove home on the highway 20 miles and when I got home it and all the screws were still accounted for lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back