Castle Creations XLX-2 just released

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious if anyone else has seen this before, because I've owned an original XLX, an XLX2 and my brother has owned an XLX2 + the MMX but we've never seen BEC voltage behave like this?
It's averaging 6.4v (It's set to 6v), however it's peaking at 10.1v?

1623544032901.png

Just curious if anyone else has seen this before, because I've owned an original XLX, an XLX2 and my brother has owned an XLX2 + the MMX but we've never seen BEC voltage behave like this?
It's averaging 6.4v (It's set to 6v), however it's peaking at 10.1v?

View attachment 151790
When are you seeing those 10.1v BEC voltage spikes? Is it during hard braking? If possible post the .CSV data file, I'd like to take a look.

When are you seeing those 10.1v BEC voltage spikes? Is it during hard braking? If possible post the .CSV data file, I'd like to take a look.
Been rather busy the last few days, hence the late reply.
The forum doesn't appear to allow that file format, so I've uploaded it to Mega.nz
https://mega.nz/file/fpAR1IrI#Z_Zj3Jjk94DCUD7uqhrWnQSAaJEe10UdE9X5uIPbYmo
I've noticed prior to this run that the BEC voltage was all over the place, I tried a different set of batteries and it did the exact same thing.
I have also been toying with the torque limiter setting hooked up to my handset to variably adjust it - Near the end of the session I realised the torque limiter was flittering on/off around 60-70% throttle and that was causing my wheels to spin free and slide the car, so I set the limiter to 0% which allowed me to apply the throttle in a more controlled manner.
That 400A load near the end is probably when my 1/5th GRPs exploded and both the front/rear diff shattered, though that's definitely not the cause of this weird BEC behaviour.

This is somewhat unrelated but I have seen people touting that a cap pack is detrimental to the performance of an XLX2, could you confirm or deny that? Personally it sounds like bs but I have yet to install my cap pack. I'm only hitting 0.93v ripple but there's no harm in lowering that if I have a spare cap pack sitting around.
Cheers.

Been rather busy the last few days, hence the late reply.
The forum doesn't appear to allow that file format, so I've uploaded it to Mega.nz
https://mega.nz/file/fpAR1IrI#Z_Zj3Jjk94DCUD7uqhrWnQSAaJEe10UdE9X5uIPbYmo
I've noticed prior to this run that the BEC voltage was all over the place, I tried a different set of batteries and it did the exact same thing.
I have also been toying with the torque limiter setting hooked up to my handset to variably adjust it - Near the end of the session I realised the torque limiter was flittering on/off around 60-70% throttle and that was causing my wheels to spin free and slide the car, so I set the limiter to 0% which allowed me to apply the throttle in a more controlled manner.
That 400A load near the end is probably when my 1/5th GRPs exploded and both the front/rear diff shattered, though that's definitely not the cause of this weird BEC behaviour.

This is somewhat unrelated but I have seen people touting that a cap pack is detrimental to the performance of an XLX2, could you confirm or deny that? Personally it sounds like bs but I have yet to install my cap pack. I'm only hitting 0.93v ripple but there's no harm in lowering that if I have a spare cap pack sitting around.
Cheers.
Whoa. Yea, there's definitely something funky going on there. There are also a couple of excessive load error codes thrown in the mix.

What motor are you running? What transmitter, receiver, and steering servo? Are you running an external steering servo gyro? Anything tapped into the ESC's battery wires (IE telemetry wires)?

A cap pack will never be detremential to ESC peformance. It's just not really necessary on the XLX2 to keep the ripple voltage numbers in check. The layout of the caps on the XLX2 pretty much eliminates high ripple. So they're not needed to protect the ESC's internal caps from damage due to high ripple/temperatures.

You may see a very slight performance increase on hard launches with a cap pack; they can hold the pack voltage a bit higher on hard initial acceleration; but on speed runs they wont' do much for actual performance enhancement.

Whoa. Yea, there's definitely something funky going on there. There are also a couple of excessive load error codes thrown in the mix.

What motor are you running? What transmitter, receiver, and steering servo? Are you running an external steering servo gyro? Anything tapped into the ESC's battery wires (IE telemetry wires)?

A cap pack will never be detremential to ESC peformance. It's just not really necessary on the XLX2 to keep the ripple voltage numbers in check. The layout of the caps on the XLX2 pretty much eliminates high ripple. So they're not needed to protect the ESC's internal caps from damage due to high ripple/temperatures.

You may see a very slight performance increase on hard launches with a cap pack; they can hold the pack voltage a bit higher on hard initial acceleration; but on speed runs they wont' do much for actual performance enhancement.
Motor: 1100kV 2028 that was bundled with the XLX2
Transmitter/receiver: Futaba T4PM + R204SB
Steering servo is an old TowerPro MG995
I'm not running any gyros, my setup is very standard at the moment.
Concerning the excessive load error codes, what would that entail as I figure 400A isn't particularly excessive with people pulling more than that.

Appreciate the response on caps, I figure if I can get any additional smoothing it can only help.
Thanks again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back