New Castle Creations Mamba ESC Cobra 8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it doesn't. MMX8s does. MMX is older. I was saying that the price for this isn't worth it. In the end they're electronics and both brands can screw up. Castles have caught fire, and I have a Max 6 that's only been used a few times that is now glitching. In the end, they're not worth the money they're charging. ESPECIALLY Castle. It's corporate greed. If you knew how much it really costs to make and package this stuff, it would astound you. YOU know! You're the one telling most here to get the HR style aluminum bulkheads from AliExpress. You absolutely know. From plastic to aluminum machining, it does not cost that much. In the end... they're toys. It's a way to rip off the nerds. Sports rip off sports nuts, automobile companies... don't get me started on them. Point is, Castle needs to get off their high horse like most businesses. I'm not impressed with Castle's new ESC.

Yeah. They probably will. If you put out a plate of dog 💩, take a picture of it and announce that it's new on marketplace or eBay, I wouldn't doubt that you'd get people asking "is this still available?"
Yes, Castle is more expensive. And they also seem to be pretty successful, especially for being based in the US and competing against the behemoth Hobbywing out of China. I would guess Castle’s margins are much smaller than Hobbywing’s.

So the question becomes why. Why is Castle successful with higher prices? Why is someone like me who buys cheap whenever possible, willing to pay a premium for Castle products?

The big reasons for me are:
-support for US company
-great warranty & customer service
-no amp limiting
-data logs I can geek out on
-slightly better temps overall
-editable, automated motor temp cutoff

They deliver a better product at a higher price IMO. I wouldn’t call that corporate greed, but it’s definitely not for everyone. It’s good to have options as a consumer.

We don't even know how many amps this new esc can handle. The only thing we know is it cost almost as much as an mmx8s but can't do 8s and im willing to bet money the max amps not as high as the MMX8S as well. So for 110$ more than a max 6 g2 you get slightly more data logging? Less cell support? we don't even know about temps because the new hobbywing stuff runs much cooler than the old stuff

Personally the only reason I own so much castle stuff is because the increased amps and lower temps but this pricing got me like wtf? They mentioned nothing about increasing the max amps or anything of the sort. I'd feel a helluva lot better if they mentioned it at all on any of the pages. I don't even see the point if the amps are the same as before.

I guess we will just have to wait for real people to test em out.

Where can I buy a Max6 G2 for $100?
castle bluetooth is 55$ extra charge that I have to spend on almost every castle esc I purchase. I'm currently at at least 23 B links. Thats damn near 1500$ with tax etc and Tis something that should be simple to install into the esc from the factory for someone like castle. Built in app support is an amazing feature which is why I keep buying B links 😭

Last edited:
We don't even know how many amps this new esc can handle. The only thing we know is it cost almost as much as an mmx8s but can't do 8s and im willing to bet money the max amps not as high as the MMX8S as well. So for 110$ more than a max 6 g2 you get slightly more data logging? Less cell support? we don't even know about temps because the new hobbywing stuff runs much cooler than the old stuff

Personally the only reason I own so much castle stuff is because the increased amps and lower temps but this pricing got me like wtf? They mentioned nothing about increasing the max amps or anything of the sort. I'd feel a helluva lot better if they mentioned it at all on any of the pages. I don't even see the point if the amps are the same as before.

The drag race specific version has pulled over 750 amps and survived. The MMX nor 8S can touch this thing in power, tunability or durability. It's anticipated this ESC is going to be "game changing" for the community based on the results so far from the development racers.

The new ESC gets the new V2 tuning software which is closer to something you would see in a racing ESC. I know most of that will be lost for the average "basher", but racer and those truly experienced will appreciate the new features

The drag race specific version has pulled over 750 amps and survived. The MMX nor 8S can touch this thing in power, tunability or durability. It's anticipated this ESC is going to be "game changing" for the community based on the results so far from the development racers.

The new ESC gets the new V2 tuning software which is closer to something you would see in a racing ESC. I know most of that will be lost for the average "basher", but racer and those truly experienced will appreciate the new features
What drag race specific version?

And what do you mean about the tuning software? I’ve been using the V2 software for months. Yes it’s an improvement, but how is it more race-oriented than the V1 software?

750 amps would be amazing if true

And what do you mean about the tuning software? I’ve been using the V2 software for months. Yes it’s an improvement, but how is it more race-oriented than the V1 software?
https://www.ghost-rc.com/shop/p/cobra-8-ace

Yes, Castle is more expensive. And they also seem to be pretty successful, especially for being based in the US and competing against the behemoth Hobbywing out of China. I would guess Castle’s margins are much smaller than Hobbywing’s.

So the question becomes why. Why is Castle successful with higher prices? Why is someone like me who buys cheap whenever possible, willing to pay a premium for Castle products?

The big reasons for me are:
-support for US company
-great warranty & customer service
-no amp limiting
-data logs I can geek out on
-slightly better temps overall
-editable, automated motor temp cutoff

They deliver a better product at a higher price IMO. I wouldn’t call that corporate greed, but it’s definitely not for everyone. It’s good to have options as a consumer.
Yeah. They do make a nice ESC. The two MMX's I have, have not glitched once. I haven't ran them in the wet all this time yet though. I'm sure this new one is most likely capable of more amps. I'm sure it's a fantastic ESC, but it's the price that floors me. I'm all for supporting US manufacturing, but I also know that things do not cost what's being charged for them all across the board. Being from where I live, I'm pro Union too. Anti big business. The opposite of trickle down economics. So, I frown upon making profit by overcharging to compensate for selling lesser numbers. Companies like General Motors. They've aimed to sell less vehicles for exorbitant prices to compensate. That's what I see with Castle's pricing. I'm all for more production, more jobs, cranking more out and charging more reasonably. Getting profit through reaching a bigger audience. Not hyping product up as so debonair that only the elite, 'SOPHISTICATED,' hobbyists get. It's..... pretentious and snobbish. Then I see innovation RC on YouTube get a free one to hype it up to us losers who have to pay. He hyped it up so much you'd swear he did a line of cocaine. Personally, I find that kind of behavior to be unsavory. I'm tired of social media being about money and advertisement. Hardly anyone is just themselves without looking to make a buck anymore. Disappointed with it all.

Last edited:

The Ghost RC Ace Edition. There was a 3 hour live on NPRCTV Live last night explaining the details before the sale went live. They sold out in 14 minutes.

The control in the V1 software outright sucks as far as timing is concerned.V2 allows much l better control over building timing advances, throttle mapping and few other details. I've only played with the Ace's version and it's somewhat similar to an R1 Wurks Digital 3. To be fair, I haven't played with the Corba 8's version of software which I understand lacks few things. That's probably ok for most of their users I'm starting to realize.
Oh cool. I knew about the MMX6S version but didn’t realize there’s a Cobra version launching now as well.

750 amps sounds very optimistic though.
Believe it or not, there is another no prep ESC in development that survived 900 amps.

To make power(watts) you need voltage and amps. You only get 8.44v in no prep drag racing. It takes a lot of amps to push a 6 lbs car out of the VHT tire prep snail trails to over 100 mph in less than 1.5 seconds on 2S. Nothing last long and the cost is killing the sport. Castle is the 1st manufacturer to step up and build something from the ground up that allegedly can handle the worse abuse you could imagine.

Last edited:
something tells me you have no experience / education in "business finance".

my take is it's pretty remarkable castle is able to continue to exist. Competing with developing market wages / input cost. I suspect the business model extends into commercial as well...I'd be VERY surprised to hear it's just RC hobby revenues they pull in.

Also I'd imagine Kansas is comparatively a pretty cheap place to operate out of.

can clearly tell from your wording your basis is largely emotive / a narrative you simply side with. Likely "fueled" by not being on the "castle is affordable" side of the rc market...you basically said as much.

the idea castle has been able to "develop" a new esc highlights Castle's model is doing just fine.

Note I cannot really afford castle stuff. I can afford the used prices, could NEVER buy just a motor. Can only barely justify their combo pricing (300$ CAD for a 1717?? that's literally stoopid and clearly a "supports US based business" price point for a dang motor. BUT...I do understand this isn't "corporate greed", it's US based company pricing.

Also there's basically two rc hobby ESC makers (excl. tekin & some old esc factory still pumping out super cheap ecss).

The way you describe the situation there is a lot of margin for a competitor to work with entering the market....even horizon hobby, as big and aggressive in buying up RC market as it is...does not do electronics. (if i understand right the "chip market" is very tough to work with at "mass production" levels. Wouldn't be surprised if that's why this new castle esc is coming out in 2024 instead of 2020 lol
Oh, I have no "education" in business/finance. Oh my feelings are forever hurt. 🙄 You just made me feel SOOOO inferior and ignorant. Oh, whatever shall I DO!? 🥱

One word to describe that snide comment. Pretentious. It's people like you who give big business the excuse to export jobs away from the US to avoid unions and liveable wages. People like you claim that these poor companies just can't afford to pay fellow Americans a fair living. They can. I can't speak entirely on Castle in that regard, but the overall point is that businesses are far more greedy than you are willing to acknowledge. Come to MI and see all barren land where the GM shops were torn down. All because they'd rather pay a foreigner sweatshop labor pay, ship it to the US and charge us enough money to put the averagee (working poor) person into debt the rest of their life. Then big business hoards the money by never circulating it BACK INTO the United States. CEO's just keep on growing their bank accounts. Hence...inflation. I don't need a pretentious college degree. I'm intelligent enough to know what's going on, and Robert Reich has this world's greed figured out. Federal Reserve has to keep printing more money to have something in circulation as the rich keep hoarding it like the game Hungry Hungry Hippos. Look how patriotic business REALLY is. All the manufacturing is abroad. If we had a world war we could be in trouble. You're sympathetic to greed. A sycophant. You'll have an excuse for unreasonable prices no matter how high. I don't care if Castle is making them here.... they're overcharging. If they can make product for the military, I highly doubt they struggle.

Last edited:
Okay. I have a reasonable solution for Castle. Make a basher edition of this ESC. No data logging, no sensor capability, same BEC and get rid of that terrible switch in favor of a HW style water resistant button for $100 less. Then I'd happily get one. A new Mamba 2. Bashers who don't need or want anything more would flock to it. Bashers are a huge part of the RC market, so if Castle wants to compete with HW, then they'll have to get out of their superiority stupor.

Okay. I have a reasonable solution for Castle. Make a basher edition of this ESC. No data logging, no sensor capability, same BEC and get rid of that terrible switch in favor of a HW style water resistant button for $100 less. Then I'd happily get one. A new Mamba 2. Bashers who don't need or want anything more would flock to it. Bashers are a huge part of the RC market, so if Castle wants to compete with HW, then they'll have to get out of their superiority stupor.
But then you have to look at the competition, hobbywing has data logging and they can still reach a good price point. No argument from me if it's pushing 100% more amps than a max 6 g2 though.

Oh, I have no "education" in business/finance. Oh my feelings are forever hurt. 🙄 You just made me feel SOOOO inferior and ignorant. Oh, whatever shall I DO!? 🥱

One word to describe that snide comment. Pretentious. It's people like you who give big business the excuse to export jobs away from the US to avoid unions and liveable wages. People like you claim that these poor companies just can't afford to pay fellow Americans a fair living. They can. I can't speak entirely on Castle in that regard, but the overall point is that businesses are far more greedy than you are willing to acknowledge. Come to MI and see all barren land where the GM shops were torn down. All because they'd rather pay a foreigner sweatshop labor pay, ship it to the US and charge us enough money to put the averagee (working poor) person into debt the rest of their life. Then big business hoards the money by never circulating it BACK INTO the United States. CEO's just keep on growing their bank accounts. Hence...inflation. I don't need a pretentious college degree. I'm intelligent enough to know what's going on, and Robert Reich has this world's greed figured out. Federal Reserve has to keep printing more money to have something in circulation as the rich keep hoarding it like the game Hungry Hungry Hippos. Look how patriotic business REALLY is. All the manufacturing is abroad. If we had a world war we could be in trouble. You're sympathetic to greed. A sycophant. You'll have an excuse for unreasonable prices no matter how high. I don't care if Castle is making them here.... they're overcharging. If they can make product for the military, I highly doubt they struggle.

if arguments are measured by passion you've certainly "won" this one

am with you on that, I finally agree with castles "recommend by weight"; but they would have awesome data on what the escs can handle and should let people know.
Worse is them not saying makes next thoughts, it must not be a good marketing point so keep it to themselves.

Where I think the actual reason is because there are too many variables for their engineers to be comfortable giving a number or even a range.

but also, I don't see any content creators (;)) making vids on testing castle escs for max amp

max amps aside, I wonder if this esc can push an arrma 6s well. I use a mmx8s in a mojave and it rarely turns the fan on lol

but it would be SO MUCH easier if castle said the amp handling. Then I could simply look at data log of mmx8s in mojave and know if the cobra 8 could push arrma 6s. Using weight instead correlates....but I wanna know the POWER!

Anyways, just measure my mojave with mmx8s and 1717 and has some aluminum bits and it weighs just under 16lbs
from the cobra 8 product page "tailored specifically for 1:8th scale vehicles weighing up to 15 lbs"

i'd guess is a 130 amp esc, only because thats what arrma has for their 6s

Last edited:
To summarize, is this supposed to replace the MMX6s? I thought I read someone post it wasn't for bashing though?

It is unfortunate that companies always try and elevate themselves into areas of the market where they sell more expensive items but fewer of them. Nothing we can do about that unfortunately but buy hobbywing.

To summarize, is this supposed to replace the MMX6s? I thought I read someone post it wasn't for bashing though?
Yes, my understanding is that this is meant to replace/update the aging MMX6S model.

And yes it is an all-around ESC good for most applications, including bashing.

if arguments are measured by passion you've certainly "won" this one

am with you on that, I finally agree with castles "recommend by weight"; but they would have awesome data on what the escs can handle and should let people know.
Worse is them not saying makes next thoughts, it must not be a good marketing point so keep it to themselves.

Where I think the actual reason is because there are too many variables for their engineers to be comfortable giving a number or even a range.

but also, I don't see any content creators (;)) making vids on testing castle escs for max amp

max amps aside, I wonder if this esc can push an arrma 6s well. I use a mmx8s in a mojave and it rarely turns the fan on lol

but it would be SO MUCH easier if castle said the amp handling. Then I could simply look at data log of mmx8s in mojave and know if the cobra 8 could push arrma 6s. Using weight instead correlates....but I wanna know the POWER!

Anyways, just measure my mojave with mmx8s and 1717 and has some aluminum bits and it weighs just under 16lbs
from the cobra 8 product page "tailored specifically for 1:8th scale vehicles weighing up to 15 lbs"

i'd guess is a 130 amp esc, only because thats what arrma has for their 6s
"Passion." Why not? Society seems to embrace passion. You feel high and mighty about my emotive responses. But when you break it down, boil it to the bones, that's what we're here for, no? Perhaps some more than others. What's the alternative? Stoicism to the point of detachment akin to an automaton? If that should be the case, then lead by example and don't even bother with the RC hobby pastime. To enjoy is to indulge. All emotions are an indulgence.

Edit- The experience of existence itself is a distraction.

Last edited:
"Passion." Why not? Society seems to embrace passion. You feel high and mighty about my emotive responses. But when you break it down, boil it to the bones, that's what we're here for, no? Perhaps some more than others. What's the alternative? Stoicism to the point of detachment akin to an automaton? If that should be the case, then lead by example and don't even bother with the RC hobby pastime. To enjoy is to indulge. All emotions are an indulgence.
Are you related to @Diem Turner 🤯

Back