New Castle Creations Cobra 8.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New ESC drop! I’ve been lucky enough to have one of these for a few months now. In short, it’s a new 6S 1/8 scale ESC that is more powerful, runs cooler, and has more features than the MMX6S. The new Castle Link software is a great improvement as well. Better logging and viewing along with some new settings.

Feel free to ask any specific questions and I’ll do my best to answer.

And here's a quick video by James McCoy on the ESC and software.

IMG_9765.jpeg
IMG_9766.jpeg
IMG_9763.jpeg
IMG_9764.jpeg
IMG_9767.jpeg

Last edited:
What’s the rated power handling capabilities? Versus real world testing.

Castle says MMX8S is rated for 130A but we know it definitely handled much more
That's a good question and I haven't seen a spec sheet. I assume it will officially be rated by vehicle weight rather than current ratings, like other Castle ESCs.

I would place it between the MMX6S and MMX8S based on what I've experienced.

Spec page just went live:
https://www.castlecreations.com/en/cobra/cobra-8-esc-25-2v-esc-010-0172-00

As the inaugural product in a new line, the Cobra 8 is engineered with cutting-edge technology tailored specifically for 1:8th scale vehicles weighing up to 15 lbs.

The Cobra 8 boasts a state-of-the-art 32-bit, dual-core processor, ushering in a new era of precision and performance. Its enhanced data logging capabilities offer extended recording times, faster sampling rates, and a wealth of data points, enabling users to delve deeper into their vehicle's performance than ever before.

Last edited:
Interesting location for the fan exhaust vent. While i think effectiveness of cooling would increase with that design (flow through rather than flow across), i'd worry moreso now that it's at the bottom about foreign objects lodging in there and blocking flow. Will be interesting to see how it does!

New ESC drop! I’ve been lucky enough to have one of these for a few months now. In short, it’s a new 6S 1/8 scale ESC that is more powerful, runs cooler, and has more features than the MMX6S. The new Castle Link software is a great improvement as well. Better logging and viewing along with some new settings.

View attachment 346261View attachment 346262View attachment 346263View attachment 346264View attachment 346265

@Surchaufeur beat you by 15 minutes. I merged the 2 threads.

View attachment 346261View attachment 346262View attachment 346263View attachment 346264View attachment 346265
What is the Amp output?
Also, what new setting can you adjust?

In my brief time looking at the difference between this and the MMX8s, why would someone choose this over a MMX8s for a $10 difference? I think they would have killed it with a 12s XLX3 far more than this
I haven't looked is it even smaller?

The cobra is smaller but the biggest difference is 9mm length. MMX8s being longer, for the 1/8 trucks they are targeting with the cobra there is plenty of room for a mmx8s

Yeah they’re targeting the new TC and Arrma releases as upgrades. I’d consider it in the $140-160 range…

What is the Amp output?
Also, what new setting can you adjust?
Castle doesn't rate their ESCs for amp output.

As far as new setting/software stuff that sticks out most to me:
  • Current limiting is a setting you can choose to protect your electronics
  • Brake lockout time can be adjusted which has been surprisingly useful
  • It can store about 10X the log data of any other Castle ESC and the software automatically sorts it by session
  • The log graph now shows motor timing which captures the variable timing Castle ESCs use for sensorless motors
  • The log graph charts accelerometer movement from the ESC
In my brief time looking at the difference between this and the MMX8s, why would someone choose this over a MMX8s for a $10 difference? I think they would have killed it with a 12s XLX3 far more than this
It makes sense that they would refresh for 1/8 scale before anything else since the MMX6S is by far the oldest of their surface ESCs. I also hope for an XLX3 sometime soon though.
Pretty sleek looking ESC. Totally forgot this was dropping today.
It feels great in the hand. All aluminum casing and solid construction.
It's bigger than the MMX6S and smaller than the MMX8S.

The log graph charts accelerometer movement from the ESC
Would it be technically possible for castle to implement an experimental traction control? If the esc has the wheel acceleration (motor RPM) and the "real" acceleration (accelerometer) it could sense an imbalance between the two. Or am I wrong?:unsure:
After a calibration acceleration was made with no wheel slip...

Would it be technically possible for castle to implement an experimental traction control? If the esc has the wheel acceleration (motor RPM) and the "real" acceleration (accelerometer) it could sense an imbalance between the two. Or am I wrong?:unsure:
After a calibration acceleration was made with no wheel slip...
Definitely an interesting idea. Castle said they are working on new/future capabilities that will take advantage of the accelerometer, but they did not share further details.

McCoy told me it's just a MMX6s replacement and not a high amperage ESC like the MMX8s or XLX2.
Drawing some conclusions from what I have seen and heard its not an ideal speed run ESC but will be great for bashers. (maybe good for smaller 1/10 scale on-road speed runners though)

Back