Castle & Hobbywing combo ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeppyjep

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Outcast 6s
  4. Outcast 8s
  5. Typhon 6s
So I decided to throw an XLX 2 in my 5th scale outcast with a 1100 KV hobby wing never crossed brands before . Does anyone have any experience good or bad with mixing the 2 ?

315F36A7-5348-4CE7-970B-C7AA341A6753.jpeg

D10CE233-E6F5-449F-85A6-5CE5E115C14C.jpeg

C5EB5786-C4F4-4ACC-964F-A7856AA912FB.jpeg

BBFD4FCE-569A-472E-A704-C697489543F0.jpeg

I bet that castle esc will make the hw motor feel smoother than a hw esc will.

Good !!! I hope so to ..trying to get some winter rigs Fun approved nahh mean , hopefully they marry well together

I’ve done an MMX8S with both the Hobbywing 4274 2200KV and the 4985 1650KV. Worked great in both instances. Whatever the motor needs the MMX8 provides. It’s a good combo with either of those so I don’t see why it wouldn’t work with what you’re trying. The 4985 actually runs a little cooler than the Castle 1717 1650KV and seemed to run smoother but the 1717 had more punch to it. HW ESCs will cut your fun if they get too hot but the MMX8S just kept giving. The XLX2 should bring out the best in the motor you’re running.

I’ve done an MMX8S with both the Hobbywing 4274 2200KV and the 4985 1650KV. Worked great in both instances. Whatever the motor needs the MMX8 provides. It’s a good combo with either of those so I don’t see why it wouldn’t work with what you’re trying. The 4985 actually runs a little cooler than the Castle 1717 1650KV and seemed to run smoother but the 1717 had more punch to it. HW ESCs will cut your fun if they get too hot but the MMX8S just kept giving. The XLX2 should bring out the best in the motor you’re running.

So I just took it down my street on a 36 pinion up from the factory 25 with this new combo and it’s absolutely hell on wheels I definitely just pissed my neighbors off at almost midnight running a 5th scale screaming down the road 🤣 I flipped it 2 times because the front end didn’t want to stay down . I can’t wait to get it in the dirt

There is something very satisfying about the way the K8S drives down the road... Glad it worked out!

So I just took it down my street on a 36 pinion up from the factory 25 with this new combo and it’s absolutely hell on wheels I definitely just pissed my neighbors off at almost midnight running a 5th scale screaming down the road 🤣 I flipped it 2 times because the front end didn’t want to stay down . I can’t wait to get it in the dirt
LOL the street I RC on outside of my complex is right next to a senior living complex and I be feeling so guilty out there at like 12 or even 2 am! one of the old dudes said they all go to sleep early and can't hear anyway so I'm good :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

So I decided to throw an XLX 2 in my 5th scale outcast with a 1100 KV hobby wing never crossed brands before . Does anyone have any experience good or bad with mixing the 2 ?

View attachment 255125

View attachment 255126

View attachment 255127

View attachment 255128
I've been mixing and matching Hobbywing and Castle for a while now. Since your running sensorless, then you're good to go. I like Hoobywing esc's in my bashers more though, as I can make small adjustments on the fly with the power button. Castle's have to be plugged in to your computer for changing something as simple as punch level. Just my 2 cents. Both brands are amazing and the differences are negligible

I've been mixing and matching Hobbywing and Castle for a while now. Since your running sensorless, then you're good to go. I like Hoobywing esc's in my bashers more though, as I can make small adjustments on the fly with the power button. Castle's have to be plugged in to your computer for changing something as simple as punch level. Just my 2 cents. Both brands are amazing and the differences are negligible
Nah, no kahputah necessary. You can do it through beep codes (totally not recommended) or, get one of these. The beauty about this thing is it doubles as a USB adapter for when you do have a PC handy.
1667888904528.png

What is this pc or field link device you speak of? in the year 2022 we use Bluetooth and our phones!! :eek: :eek: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

1667891400957.png

That moment when you realize you've bought 18 54$ castle B links :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited:
What is this pc or field link device you speak of? in the year 2022 we use Bluetooth and our phones!! :eek: :eek: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 255135

That moment when you realize you've bought 18 54$ castle B links :eek: :eek: :eek:
As you know from all of my pictures, I live in 2014. Oh, and my phone doesn't have BT.
1667901942481.png

View attachment 255135

Look at that line up kidddddddddd!! A crazy

Nah, no kahputah necessary. You can do it through beep codes (totally not recommended) or, get one of these. The beauty about this thing is it doubles as a USB adapter for when you do have a PC handy.
View attachment 255134
I'd actually never seen one of these even though I know it existed. Opening up the receiver box is already a pain in the a$$ when I have to do it on my speed runner, and I'm not likely investing in the Bluetooth module to run the app on my phone. I didn't know you could program a Castle without a plug in. The simplicity of the Hobbywing is you can program with the power button or easily plug a program card to the fan port. Maybe I need to research Castle programming more since at least half of my rc's use them

I'd actually never seen one of these even though I know it existed. Opening up the receiver box is already a pain in the a$$ when I have to do it on my speed runner, and I'm not likely investing in the Bluetooth module to run the app on my phone. I didn't know you could program a Castle without a plug in. The simplicity of the Hobbywing is you can program with the power button or easily plug a program card to the fan port. Maybe I need to research Castle programming more since at least half of my rc's use them
I think you might be able to circumvent the receiver box problem by adding a Y-harness. Or, should that not work for whatever reason, move the ESC connector to outside the box and put a small extension outside -> inside that connects through to the receiver.

I think you might be able to circumvent the receiver box problem by adding a Y-harness. Or, should that not work for whatever reason, move the ESC connector to outside the box and put a small extension outside -> inside that connects through to the receiver.
That’s what I did..!!👍🏼 ( y-harness )

View attachment 255125

View attachment 255126

View attachment 255127

View attachment 255128
What I know......
According to HW, their HW sensored motors have an identifier chip that the sensored HW ESC recognizes. So the ESC knows there is a HW motor connected to it. Hybrid Sensored mode (may default to Full sensored Mode) or some other features may not work with HW ESC parameters using a Non HW motor. With another Brand motor, like motor temp cutoff, etc. may not be available, or in the HW data Log. ( App)
Any brand motor will run. Whether it is sensored or not.
All BLX motors will always run with other brand BLX ESC's, however.

I'm not sure how using a CC ESC and HW motor will affect ESC parameters. If it will. I don't believe CC uses any CC specific Identifier chip in their motors.
Many people mix and match brands of Motors and ESC's. Very common. Usually no issues.

Last edited:
What I know......
According to HW, their HW sensored motors have an identifier chip that the sensored HW ESC recognizes. So the ESC knows there is a HW motor connected to it. Hybrid Sensored mode (may default to Full sensored Mode) or some other features may not work with HW ESC parameters using a Non HW motor. With another Brand motor Like motor temp cutoff etc may not be available in the HW data Log. ( App)
Any brand motor will run. Whether it is sensored or not.
All BLX motors will run with other brand BLX ESC's, however.

I'm not sure how using a CC ESC and HW motor will affect ESC parameters. If it will. I don't believ CC uses any CC specific chip in their motors.
I don't think they do either. As far as I know, the only thing the sensor in CC motors does is check the position of the rotor for smooth starts and allow for temp readings for the ESC/data logs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back