Kraton Castle vs Stock?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMDUK

Premium Member!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon TLR
My Kraton v5 comes with the Spektrum ™ Firma ™ 4074 2050Kv fitted. I have my eye on the Castle MMX8S 1717 1650Kv combo.

The Castle has a lower Kv rating but from what I’ve read here, it’s still considered an upgrade to stock.

Am I really gaining with this ‘upgrade’ path?
I think this upgrade would produce more torque…?

Thanks.
David

My Kraton v5 comes with the Spektrum ™ Firma ™ 4074 2050Kv fitted. I have my eye on the Castle MMX8S 1717 1650Kv combo.

The Castle has a lower Kv rating but from what I’ve read here, it’s still considered an upgrade to stock.

Thanks.
David
Hi Castle for speed Hobbywing for bashing is how the saying goes. I run the Hobbywing max 6 combo in my Kraton and it rips. the same size & kv as the Castle 1717 but not as expensive. used to run the MMX8S 1717 combo in my infraction had some overheating with the MMX8S .

Thanks.
David

I have 2 Kratons, one with the stock system in it and one with the Hobbywing Max6 4985 1650kv combo the performance difference between the two is night and day. The stock system struggles do even complete 1 backflip the Max6 you could easily pull doubles without trying. Stock system I've not managed to do a standing backflip Max6 does them without breaking a sweat. The stock system runs much hotter as well.

I have the Castle MMX 8s/1650kv motor combo in my Kraton 6s. I mostly run fast runs on dirt: I don't either do speed runs or bash with high jumps. The Castle system turned my Kraton into a beast: I can do a 360-degree backflip from a standing start on grass: no part of the Kraton hits the ground until the wheels hit. Once the wheels hit the ground, it will take off like a scared rabbit.

Kraton motor and ESC.jpg

I run the MMX8S / 1717 combo in a few bashers, including a Kraton 6S, and it is absolutely amazing. Huge power on 6S and drives like a dream.

They have been extremely reliable in my experience. Racing, jumping, snow, rain, hot, cold, etc. Great system.

Regarding your kv rating question about speed - think of kv simply as motor RPM. Bigger motors typically have lower kv ratings, but they have the torque to overcome it. You install a bigger pinion to make up for the lower motor RPM and gain even more speed than stock along with improved torque and temps.

I have the stock systems in most of my cars its plenty of power like said above they just get hot in summer you can put high speed fans on the motor to keep it cooler but you still have to go careful not to fry your motor

I have 2 Kratons, one with the stock system in it and one with the Hobbywing Max6 4985 1650kv combo the performance difference between the two is night and day. The stock system struggles do even complete 1 backflip the Max6 you could easily pull doubles without trying. Stock system I've not managed to do a standing backflip Max6 does them without breaking a sweat. The stock system runs much hotter as well.
Thats odd, I run the stock system and have zero issues doing double flips.

2nd that...still running stock myself....just gotta learn to adjust timing and punch for desired outcome.

Thats odd, I run the stock system and have zero issues doing double flips.

100% box stock diffs, gearing and esc settings. This is with the BLX185 not the Firma but performance between the 2 should be 100% the same. I was also running dBoots backflips instead of the Copperhead 2s. Honestly the rtr feels like a worse handling version of my ET48.3 on 4s. It just feels so underpowered compared to the EXB.

100% box stock diffs, gearing and esc settings. This is with the BLX185 not the Firma but performance between the 2 should be 100% the same. I was also running dBoots backflips instead of the Copperhead 2s. Honestly the rtr feels like a worse handling version of my ET48.3 on 4s. It just feels so underpowered compared to the EXB.
Yea I have also no reference to compare it too either since thats all I have had arrma wise. But I do have max punch setting and a 13t pinion in there (stock is 12t i believe.)

I'm running a Axial Vanguard XL system in my Kraton, it's just a re-branded Castle system that was made for Axial. Thing has GOBS of power. I had to turn my punch almost completely down. Standing backflips are absolutely no problem. My next 6S build will most likely have Castle electronics in it as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back