Kraton New Castle Creations Cobra 8 Combo vs Hobbywing G2 Max6 Combo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tested the Max6 G2 combo (4990 motor) yesterday. I have to say it is really nice to pull the rig up beside you and change the punch settings from the app without needing to remove the body. Also checking motor temp, ESC temp, and battery voltage before continuing your bash.

I could absolutely do these things manually with a cell checker and IR temp gun but this convenience is something I can certainly get used to!

So far I have zero second thoughts about running a Castle system in a basher over this Max6 combo.
Speed running is still all XLX2 for me.
Dude that's awesome. I just got the same exact combo for my K6 & somewhere in here asked if anyone had used the app. Nice to hear it's that good!

Dude that's awesome. I just got the same exact combo for my K6 & somewhere in here asked if anyone had used the app. Nice to hear it's that good!
It takes a second to connect to the ESC but other than that you will love it.

Just today swapped electrics out of my over powered Typhon into the newly built Kraton ( Parts & pieces from the ground up build )
Set up now ( Kraton ) .... Hobbywing XR8 Plus G2 ESC / Hobbywing 4274 2250kv G2 MT spec motor. Primary use 4S and Bash racing, minimal jumping.

t.jpg

In the last year I burned up a max8 with hw 2200kv motor and mmx6s with castle 2200kv. I finally decided those setups weren’t really meant for 6s. Now both my rigs have mmx8s and I’ll never look back. The 2200kv is still in the noto and runs hotter than the 1650kv Kraton but I can’t remember the last time the thermal protection kicked in and I have the temp limit set low.

In the last year I burned up a max8 with hw 2200kv motor and mmx6s with castle 2200kv. I finally decided those setups weren’t really meant for 6s. Now both my rigs have mmx8s and I’ll never look back. The 2200kv is still in the noto and runs hotter than the 1650kv Kraton but I can’t remember the last time the thermal protection kicked in and I have the temp limit set low.
What the hell gearing did you have on the max8 to burn that out? I'm not exactly kind to mine but I've never hit thermal shutdown...

Might be time for a bearing kit.

What the hell gearing did you have on the max8 to burn that out? I'm not exactly kind to mine but I've never hit thermal shutdown...

Might be time for a bearing kit.
I wasn't totally clear in my post. The HW stopped working in the field and caught fire when I got home to evaluate it. The castle shutoff after that mini speedrun in the noto and never turned on again. Both Notos were running maybe 14-15 tooth. It's possible something else was the culprit in both cases but I wont bother with those escs anymore.

Hello all, I've been thinking about upgrading the motor/esc on my Kraton 6s v5. I was going to go with the Hobbywing G2 Max6 w/ 4990 1650kv motor, but a lot of the videos I've watched seems like that almost too much power, if that's such a thing. Now I'm kind of thinking the new Castle Creation Cobra 8 w/ 1515 2200kv motor. I know with the Cobra 8 being new there's not a lot of, "drive time with it", but it seems like it would have more controllable power. I know pinion/spur size plays a big roll in everything, but that's cheap and easy to adjust. The Castle Creations is more expensive, but money really isn't an object for me. I'm certainly open to suggestions on other motor/esc combos too.
I’m late to the party, again… I really like the Castle UI a lot better, as well as the data logging. Apparently the C8 has doubled the max sample rate which is insane and the log capacity has increased 8 fold… 🤯 I haven’t had the greatest luck with either system, I’ve cooked my share of Ez Runs/Spektrums this past year, including 3 Max 5 V1, 1 160a Spektrum, 2 BLX 180s.
I only have a handful of Castle ESCs but still mages to cook 2 sidewinders and an MMX 6S. It might just be because I’m retarded, but what I’m not is abusive. I really did not beat ESCs at all. I’m going to buy the Cobra 8 personally, I’m interested to find out what you chose and why..?

Back