Kraton New Castle Creations Cobra 8 Combo vs Hobbywing G2 Max6 Combo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksunshine

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I've been thinking about upgrading the motor/esc on my Kraton 6s v5. I was going to go with the Hobbywing G2 Max6 w/ 4990 1650kv motor, but a lot of the videos I've watched seems like that almost too much power, if that's such a thing. Now I'm kind of thinking the new Castle Creation Cobra 8 w/ 1515 2200kv motor. I know with the Cobra 8 being new there's not a lot of, "drive time with it", but it seems like it would have more controllable power. I know pinion/spur size plays a big roll in everything, but that's cheap and easy to adjust. The Castle Creations is more expensive, but money really isn't an object for me. I'm certainly open to suggestions on other motor/esc combos too.

I'm installing a Max6 G2 in my truck now. It replaces a Max6 G1 system. I don't think it's too much power, I think it's the motor the truck should have come with in the first place.

20240222_194054.jpg

Hello all, I've been thinking about upgrading the motor/esc on my Kraton 6s v5. I was going to go with the Hobbywing G2 Max6 w/ 4990 1650kv motor, but a lot of the videos I've watched seems like that almost too much power, if that's such a thing. Now I'm kind of thinking the new Castle Creation Cobra 8 w/ 1515 2200kv motor. I know with the Cobra 8 being new there's not a lot of, "drive time with it", but it seems like it would have more controllable power. I know pinion/spur size plays a big roll in everything, but that's cheap and easy to adjust. The Castle Creations is more expensive, but money really isn't an object for me. I'm certainly open to suggestions on other motor/esc combos too.
I don't no how people go with the stock diffs on a kraton 6s v5 with more power

I don’t know why it would make sense to spend $100.00 more for the Castle system and limit yourself to a 4s experience (all of their combo options are 4s only, even though the ESC says it’s capable of 6s) especially now that the Max-6 G2 has data logging and is fully sensored. Depending on the KV you choose, you can set up the HW G2 from 4s to 8s. The Cobra 8 seems to have more limited options, to say the least, and costs roughly 30% more.

2200kv is not right for a Kraton. Everyone who has tried it found it runs hot on anything over 4s.

The Max6 combo is ideal for these rigs. (I have one being delivered today for mine)
I would say you can adjust the expo or other details on the radio to make it drive the way you want.

I went with the Max6 G2 combos with the 1650 motor for both my Kraton V5 and my Big Rock 6S. I would not hesitate again to make another purchase from HW. Gearing and diff fluid have helped a lot as well.

I run a castle MMX 8s ESC and 1717 1650kv motor in my Kraton 6s. It does require me to turn down the punch a bit to keep it from doing wheelies all the time, but I can still wheelie on command with a quick pull of the trigger. With the punch turned down just a bit, the Kraton is fast yet easily controllable. I run a 20T pinion, which is plenty fast.

Kraton motor and ESC.jpg

I was part of Cobra 8 testing and have a few months behind the wheel with it. I’d consider it a refresh of the Monster X with maybe a little more power and some new features. It’s a solid ESC but I wouldn’t expect a big power increase going from stock to Cobra 8 / 2200kv.

The Kraton really wakes up with a bigger motor. I run the Monster X 8S / 1717 1650kv and it has been solid. Fast, runs cool, and I like the data logging. I’m sure the Max6 G2 performs similarly.

If you’re looking for a little more power without going extreme, check out the Monster X 8S /1520 combo or a Max 6 / 4092 piecemeal combo.

all of their combo options are 4s only, even though the ESC says it’s capable of 6s
You sure about that? Doesn’t sound right to me. Maybe you’re thinking of just the 1512 motor targeted for buggy racing?

Can't speak to Kraton, but the Max8 G2 2250kv combo felt like it woke up the Outcast significantly. Max6 wasn't out yet but honestly I think the Max6 would be far too much for the Outcast. I can hardly get to 80% throttle on a 14 tooth pinion on the Outcast without flipping over. Now Kraton should be a bit more stable, but I can't see spending the extra on the Castle combo unless you really really want the extra data logging capabilities. The Max8 and Max6 are both excellent but if you're comparing Hobbywing to Castle, Max8 g2 is the competitor to the Cobra, and Max 6 is the competitor to the MMX8s.

Thanks for everyone's replies, looks like the Cobra 8 is out, but now I'm looking at the mmx8/1520 combo @dure16 mentioned, it's pretty pricy compared to the max6 though, so leaning towards the max6.

Thanks for everyone's replies, looks like the Cobra 8 is out, but now I'm looking at the mmx8/1520 combo @dure16 mentioned, it's pretty pricy compared to the max6 though, so leaning towards the max6.
Reminder that you never have to pay full price for Castle products. Tower Hobbies coupon codes work. Just Google “tower coupon codes” for the current discount. They always have something active.

Being a super saver member costs $10 per year and includes a $10 gift card on your birthday. Plus then you get access to discounts like this.

1708710223814.png

Reminder that you never have to pay full price for Castle products. Tower Hobbies coupon codes work. Just Google “tower coupon codes” for the current discount. They always have something active.

Being a super saver member costs $10 per year and includes a $10 gift card on your birthday. Plus then you get access to discounts like this.

View attachment 350377
Additionally, Amain has 15% off either Castle or Hobbywing (or lots of other stuff) with coupon code NCF24 or NCF24A or NCJ24 right now until end of April. I just bought Max6 with the big motor for my outcast 8s for 242.25

Additionally, Amain has 15% off either Castle or Hobbywing (or lots of other stuff) with coupon code NCF24 or NCF24A or NCJ24 right now until end of April. I just bought Max6 with the big motor for my outcast 8s for 242.25
Great deal. I think Hobbywing direct has some always-on coupon codes too but I can never remember what they are.

I run a castle MMX 8s ESC and 1717 1650kv motor in my Kraton 6s. It does require me to turn down the punch a bit to keep it from doing wheelies all the time, but I can still wheelie on command with a quick pull of the trigger. With the punch turned down just a bit, the Kraton is fast yet easily controllable. I run a 20T pinion, which is plenty fast.

View attachment 350366
What do you have your punch set to with the 20t pinion?

IIRC, I have it set at 4. I set it over two years ago, and I haven't needed to reset it.
Thanks man. I have a K6 I'm building. Max6 G2 & 4990 combo. I have 4s & 6s backflips tires I can run. I was leaning to a 17t or 18t to start. Later a 20t. Don't know if the punch settings are comparable between systems but thanks for sharing!

Thanks man. I have a K6 I'm building. Max6 G2 & 4990 combo. I have 4s & 6s backflips tires I can run. I was leaning to a 17t or 18t to start. Later a 20t. Don't know if the punch settings are comparable between systems but thanks for sharing!
I use the same combo and also a 20T pinion. I have punch control set to 40%, which would be equivalent to setting punch at 6 out of 10 in the Hobbywing.

Any less punch control (i.e. higher punch) and the car just flips on its back at any speed when I hit full throttle.

I started with an 18T with Backflip 6s, but the temps were so low I could go up to the 20T pinion without much of a temp penalty. I tried on purpose to see how high the temps got with the 20T, but I could only get temps up to 140F after 15 minutes of full throttle runs.

Back