Kraton Charger issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy15086

Very Active Member
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton EXB
My charger keeps saying "input voltage too high". Then it shuts off sometimes. Sometimes it's on 1 channel or both. The settings for the battery's are correct. I never had this issue with other batteries. Is my charger f'd? I did get it used with an RC I bought a while back. It's an HTRC 240c Duo. Seems odd like it may be failing. 🤔

Could be the charger. That happens to me once in awhile, I just unplug it and try again and will start charging.

I tried another plug. It starts and then goes into it again. I'll try another battery tomorrow.
Trying another plug outlet won't solve anything. Could be your battery, did you check the voltage.

Check the balance plug on your battery for contamination or defects as well.
Most likely, one wire is loose or corroded. Could also be a bad pin on the charger. I hope you do not plug them in directly and use a sacrificial extension.
A picture of the entire setup would be good.
Note: Don't just zoom in on the display, wire connection matter.

Most likely, one wire is loose or corroded. Could also be a bad pin on the charger. I hope you do not plug them in directly and use a sacrificial extension.
I always charge them in the bag but took them out to better show the setup. I see nothing wrong with the balance board wires or any other. No pins bent. I can't see any issues. The battery's are brand new. I have only charged them twice on this charger. The battery charger wires are brand new.

20220203_215128.jpg

20220203_215324.jpg

20220203_215331.jpg

20220203_215335.jpg

I just unplugged everything, plugged it all back in and then started the charge again. It took about 20 seconds to come up with warning again.

Attachments

• 20220203_220555.jpg
    20220203_220555.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Try charging one battery only on one channel, then do same on other channel. Try to find the problem. Can't see 2 new lipos with fault. If you don't have a backup charger, try a friends with your new lipos. Try to eliminate the culprit.

You said you got it used with a RC, maby it has a issue when you got it. Charges are not that expensive.

Only other suggestion from my side, reading the manual and per @Jimbobjr
This error message relates to charger input voltage and is unrelated to the attached lipo, should show up even without a battery connected.
Do not connect a lipo to this charger until that is resolved.

If you have it connected to AC, your charger is defective. If you are running on DC, lower the input voltage.
Looks like you are plugged into the wall and your charger crapped out.
--
Do you have an external lipo checker to verify the cell voltages or another means to check?
https://smile.amazon.com/Tenergy-Battery-Intelligent-Digital-Balancer/dp/B0178P8H9U

If not, get one but make sure that it can measure internal resistance, will come in handy in the future.

---
Clipboard01.jpg

Only other suggestion from my side, reading the manual and per @Jimbobjr
This error message relates to charger input voltage and is unrelated to the attached lipo, should show up even without a battery connected.
Do not connect a lipo to this charger until that is resolved.

If you have it connected to AC, your charger is defective. If you are running on DC, lower the input voltage.
Looks like you are plugged into the wall and your charger crapped out.
--
Do you have an external lipo checker to verify the cell voltages or another means to check?
https://smile.amazon.com/Tenergy-Battery-Intelligent-Digital-Balancer/dp/B0178P8H9U

If not, get one but make sure that it can measure internal resistance, will come in handy in the future.

---
View attachment 197750
Yes, I think you have it there. PS is probably bleeding some ac volts passed it and to protect the unit and batteries it does not let you charge. I think using dc from a car battery or another ps that supplies supplies less than 18v to the other input would bypass the internal one and get him going until he gets another charger.

@Jimbobjr @Jeremy15086 Yes, the DC input might still be useable. Typically, they are separated inside the charger.
Your call if you want to take that chance, i.e. might just be the internal supply that has gone bad.
I'd chuck it in a bin and get a new charger.
Actually, I'd take it apart first see what is going on and then chuck it in the bin, but for other reasons.

I am pretty sure it's the charger. Not a high end unit and I got it used about a year ago. Probably time for a new one anyways... Gonna stop by the LHS tonight to get a new one most likely.

+1.
Beat me to it.:LOL: First thing came to mind.
@Jimbobjr @Jeremy15086 Yes, the DC input might still be useable. Typically, they are separated inside the charger.
Your call if you want to take that chance, i.e. might just be the internal supply that has gone bad.
I'd chuck it in a bin and get a new charger.
Actually, I'd take it apart first see what is going on and then chuck it in the bin, but for other reasons.
Agree. Not worth chancing a lipo fire.
Charger is tired.
Who knows how it was used before you got ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back