Charging in fields? Car battery? generator? Other?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orbita

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Typhon 3s
I’m looking for some kind of power device I can use to power my skyrc charger (ac or dc, pref both) to charge my 2x 3s/5000 batteries at least a couple of times each while I'm at the park as quickly as possible. Ideally something that could be carried in one hand but that's not a hard requirement.
What would you recommend?

I’m looking for some kind of power device I can use to power my skyrc charger (ac or dc, pref both) to charge my 2x 3s/5000 batteries at least a couple of times each while I'm at the park as quickly as possible. Ideally something that could be carried in one hand but that's not a hard requirement.
The only things that I know of are a generator or a larger lipo pack.

If your charger is AC/DC, then all you need is a car battery. If it’s AC only, then you need a car battery and an inverter.

Edit: Why not just bring more charged Lipo packs? That would be the easiest to carry and the quickest to run back to back.

I used to take 8+ packs with me (my big trucks run pairs), but usually would end up breaking something and would then have to discharge a bunch of large packs when I got home. Now I take 4 packs (2 pair for my big trucks) and 2 packs (2 single 3S higher capacity) for my small truck as I always take a big one and a little one when I go. I bought a charger to use off my car battery. Luckily, my battery is in my trunk.

I learned early on though to only charge when the car is running as charging packs takes a lot of juice out of the car battery. Was out bashing with a couple guys and I recharged my 7200 2S packs twice and he recharged his 5000mah 3S twice, maybe a 3rd charge from the other guy. Went to leave and all my car would do was click. Had to get a jump. Now I only charge when the car is running.

I just use a cheap 12Ax2/150Wx2 HTRC charger to charge a pair of packs at a time, usually when driving from one bash site to another. I bought a second iSDT charger that can either charge a 3rd lipo or I use it to charge my remote or receiver packs in my nitro trucks. One nice thing about the HTRC is it has a USB out as well to charge my gopro session. I have a few packs for my hero, but the session only has the built in one.

2019-0420-ChargingInMyTrunk01.jpg

I can't think of anything you'd want to drag around with you. Generators are big and noisy, car batteries are heavy...
You could get a bigger lipo to power the charger, but that doesn't make much sense either.
I doubt you can park your car near the place where you run your RCs, being in London

Looks like you'll need to buy a couple more of those 3s lipos :)

My charger has a DC input. I made 2 different cables- one for my power supply at home, and another that goes to alligator clips to plug onto a battery.

Please be aware that a powerful charger can drag down a car battery pretty quick- and car charging systems aren't designed for that. You can cause damage to either your battery or charging system if abused. I would tell you to have the car running while charging.

I used to take 8+ packs with me (my big trucks run pairs), but usually would end up breaking something and would then have to discharge a bunch of large packs when I got home. Now I take 4 packs (2 pair for my big trucks) and 2 packs (2 single 3S higher capacity) for my small truck as I always take a big one and a little one when I go. I bought a charger to use off my car battery. Luckily, my battery is in my trunk.

I learned early on though to only charge when the car is running as charging packs takes a lot of juice out of the car battery. Was out bashing with a couple guys and I recharged my 7200 2S packs twice and he recharged his 5000mah 3S twice, maybe a 3rd charge from the other guy. Went to leave and all my car would do was click. Had to get a jump. Now I only charge when the car is running.

I just use a cheap 12Ax2/150Wx2 HTRC charger to charge a pair of packs at a time, usually when driving from one bash site to another. I bought a second iSDT charger that can either charge a 3rd lipo or I use it to charge my remote or receiver packs in my nitro trucks. One nice thing about the HTRC is it has a USB out as well to charge my gopro session. I have a few packs for my hero, but the session only has the built in one.

2019-0420-ChargingInMyTrunk01.jpg
I have a Group 31 AGM battery in my work van with a 250A alt. I also have a 750W inverter wired in the cab.

I have TWO group 49 AGM backed by a 300amp liquid cooled alternator.

I would still advise running the car while charging- and go direct to battery, ignore the invertor for this. Keep it for plugging in your laptop.

I have TWO group 49 AGM backed by a 300amp liquid cooled alternator.

I would still advise running the car while charging- and go direct to battery, ignore the invertor for this. Keep it for plugging in your laptop.
I’ve ran 1000W of audio plus my 750W inverter for over an hour while bashing and starts like a champ. Noted it’s nice and warm out. I wouldn’t try that in the dead of winter. ??

For those using car batteries how fast is the charging relative to running off AC at home? Is it the same?

It's tricky to park at the point of bashing and leave car running without risk of someone nicking my car, so yes, I'll probably just get more Lipos.

For those using car batteries how fast is the charging relative to running off AC at home? Is it the same?

It's tricky to park at the point of bashing and leave car running without risk of someone nicking my car, so yes, I'll probably just get more Lipos.
Usually a DC charger is faster (higher W output) than an AC charger. But if you can already charge your lipos at 1C on AC, there’s no reason why it shouldn’t be capable of the same on DC.

I too would recommend just getting more Lipo's, its the easiest way at the end of the day...

More bashing time, less chance of flat battery and car getting stolen..?

Just incase you didn't know.. have a look at Hobbyking.com for batteries, way cheaper than most and good quality too...??

I use these and can vouch for how good they are for the money...

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-heavy-duty-5000mah-3s-60c-lipo-pack-w-xt-90.html

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back