Chewing up DIFFS??!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it was Slick who posted a picture of the gpm ring gear with the teeth sawed in half. There is nothing wrong with the stock gear set and gpm is known for pretty crappy products. I’d avoid them like the plague.
Never used GPM other than this gear set, I have a stock new set as well, I’ll keep that in mind. All of the parts I have on my Talion and kraton are either hot racing or t bone racing I heard some good things about the GPM bulkheads so I figured I’d give these gears a shot, if they chew then I’ll install the stock set

If the factory is now doing it, and they are on the hook for warranty which means their own wallet and time, then to me that means yes- do it.

They aren't making changes for no reason, and I am sure they are also testing / measuring before they widespread release an update.

If the factory is now doing it, and they are on the hook for warranty which means their own wallet and time, then to me that means yes- do it.

They aren't making changes for no reason, and I am sure they are also testing / measuring before they widespread release an update.
You literally can't put those shims in my Notorious diffs. It binds them.

Dude- you literally said "You literally can't put those shims in my Notorious diffs. It binds them. "....and then admit you haven't tried them?

Next time say something like "You probably can't".....

On forums people saying things halfassed that new guys read and take as truth and then it gets passed around and becomes common 'advice' even if wrong from the start.

Your diffs came with no internal shims laterally. Go look at the new pic breakdown. 2 laterally internal, 2 external now.

Dude- you literally said "You literally can't put those shims in my Notorious diffs. It binds them. "....and then admit you haven't tried them?

On forums people saying things halfassed that new guys read and take as truth and then it gets passed around and becomes common 'advice' even if wrong from the start.

Your diffs came with no internal shims laterally. Go look at the new pic breakdown. 2 laterally internal, 2 external now.

My bad. If the new sun grear shims are made out of rice paper they will fit in my diffs.

I just started shimmimg my diffs a little different, I'll see if they hold up long term. I've been putting a shim between the pinion(input diff gear) and the large bearing inside the gearbox case, as well as one on the diff cup before the bearing goes on and two on the crown gear(diff gear main) before the bearing goes on. I kept chewing up pinion gears, but this has tightened up the mesh and feels really solid at the moment. The shim size is 8x10mm with 0.2mm thickness. I use them to shim my wheel bearings too.

WOW!:oops: I've never had that happen. I'd clean your diff case really good and inspect for any cracks. You shouldn't have that much dirt inside your case. A little dust is okay but whenever I had that much, I had a busted case and didn't know it. I'd definitely use sealed bearings on the input and larger inner. Really keeps things clean and should keep that from happening. You also might want to put a thicker oil in the front. Over time it will melt everything down. The Arrma stock fluid is a basis then people can set them up for their liking. Not really meant to run hard in stock form IMHO. Also do you run a second shim on the outer bearing to tighten up the crown gear? Good luck bro! ?
Being new to Arrma and 4wd can you point to a good source to get a better understanding of the issue and the fix? YouTube? Thanks!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

More locations than before. Look in the new v4 parts thread there is an exploded diagram picture.
Haha, that's funny, that's exactly what I started doing the last time I rebuilt mine, the only difference is that I put the old mugen shims in the diff cup. I've started using the small outdrive shims on the diff cup and main diff gear like Arrma. See post above.

I agree with bicketybam I been running 40k rear.....200k center 80k front for four months with no problems knock on wood.....and many batteries.....time will tell so far so good lol.............I may blow a diff now that i bragged!......How much speed will i gain going from 12t to a 13t on my notorious. I would not be afraid of 500k i just like what i am using

Last edited:
If I remember correctly each tooth on the gear was worth about 4mph...somebody did a calculation in a recent thread.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back