29mm exb diffs worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnowAir

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Mojave EXB
I've been fighting some demons with my Mojo exb rear diff for a while now. They are 2 years old so nothing to complain about really. I recently suffered my second broken diff cup. So I ordered up a couple before even disassembling it.. what I didn't find was a broken cup seems my shimming is off, maybe the internals are just getting too worn, not sure. What I did find was 3 teeth on the ring gear that are rounded off. My question is, are the exb diffs worth buying the parts for? I mean the complete exb takeoff diffs are basically out of stock everywhere now, just a ring and pinion is $40, plus internals vs $45 for an assembled 6s blx with outdrives, case and bearings from JRC. Should I even bother with rebuilding the exb diff? Tough call. My brother has several blx rtr Arrma's and the diffs have been fine.

Yeah, EXB 29mm LSD diffs are becoming shortlived if you ask me. As went the 6s EXB lines.
I always felt the main benefit was not so much the LSD design, but the more stout Input and Main gears. If you are just running 6s electrics , I feel the Open 6s diffs are just fine. EXB diffs are costly, retail wise.
And JennysRC is already out of them. I did see only 4 left of the Center 29mm diff there and was on sale for $44. each. They are getting rid of them clearing out EXB inventory. It is no more. All EXB stuff is strictly from Arrma/HH Retail now.

Yeah, EXB 29mm LSD diffs are becoming shortlived if you ask me. As went the 6s EXB lines.
I always felt the main benefit was not so much the LSD design, but the more stout Input and Main gears. If you are just running 6s electrics , I feel the Open 6s diffs are just fine. EXB diffs are costly, retail wise.
And JennysRC is already out of them. I did see only 4 left of the Center 29mm diff there and was on sale for $44. each. They are getting rid of them clearing out EXB inventory. It is no more. All EXB stuff is strictly from Arrma/HH Retail now.
Yeah, not sure the exb is worth it for my use, which is mainly track. I confess, I already ordered the blx diff before I even posted. LOL.
The LSD stuff is straight gimmick IMO. I have also deleted that from f/r in both of my exbs already..just trying to feel it out by asking the question I guess.
FWIW, clearly we haven't seen the last of the exb diffs by them being included in the BR 6s. But I think I'm over the whole EXB nonsense, more hype than content IMO.

Yeah funny how everyone embraced EXB like it was gold or something, even with all the issues when released.
EXB's are finished. For now at least.
I feel the Open 6s RTR diffs have been slightly improved over the years.
Open diffs are best IMHO. Always will be.
LSD diffs were over internally engineered, parts wise, and not as consistent and predictable as fully Open diffs.

The exb diffs are bulletproof. LSD or not. They will become the main RTR diff on the v6 pretty sure now that the bigrock crew cab 6s has it by default. They don't even label it EXB anymore. The outdrives suck same for the RTR ones you will need m2c outdrives because the stock ones deteriorate quick

The exb diffs are bulletproof. LSD or not. They will become the main RTR diff on the v6 pretty sure now that the bigrock crew cab 6s has it by default. They don't even label it EXB anymore. The outdrives suck same for the RTR ones you will need m2c outdrives because the stock ones deteriorate quick
I think you're right about them becoming standard on 6s going forward. As to the outdrives, all original still here. Just now after 2 years am replacing center driveshafts due to the pins wearing out.. I put a Rocket 4092 in the Mojo, which eventually became a Kraton XL. Think the 4092 is going to be retired, too much motor IMO. I'll go back to a 4074 and enjoy the longevity of drivetrain parts since that's what belongs in it. We all do it differently right?🍻

I think you're right about them becoming standard on 6s going forward. As to the outdrives, all original still here. Just now after 2 years am replacing center driveshafts due to the pins wearing out.. I put a Rocket 4092 in the Mojo, which eventually became a Kraton XL. Think the 4092 is going to be retired, too much motor IMO. I'll go back to a 4074 and enjoy the longevity of drivetrain parts since that's what belongs in it. We all do it differently right?🍻
Change the pins for mugen seiki

I've been watching these pins wear and thinking they gotta be replaceable? They must be tapered right? You happen to know the size or have a p/n?
They are press fit
I think part number is C0270. Its the pins that go on the outdrives.
129E27FC-9214-4C14-B6E6-B96DB8A24AE8.jpeg

They are press fit
I think part number is C0270. Its the pins that go on the outdrives.
View attachment 329895
Oh, I see. You're talking about pins inside the diff. I don't have any problems there. I'm talking about pins in the center driveshaft or dogbones..
This is an original outdrive..LOL. Guess I'm not in the class y'all are if you're blowing outdrives and pins..😉

20231103_113106.jpg

20231103_113005.jpg

Oh, I see. You're talking about pins inside the diff. I don't have any problems there. I'm talking about pins in the center driveshaft or dogbones..
This is an original outdrive..LOL. Guess I'm not in the class y'all are if you're blowing outdrives and pins..😉

View attachment 329898

View attachment 329899
No im talking about the dogbones bins since i changed them they have berely worn. The mugen ones are tool steel. They have went trought twice the life span of the original pins

FWIW the new Big Rock comes factory with EXB diffs, so once jennys starts getting those in we should have a cheaper option for EXB diffs again.

Go with RCAwd EXB open diffs , I can do all 3 aluminum full assemblies with (2) AliX alloy bulkheads for the price of one Arrma EXB composite bulkhead assembly 😂

Go with RCAwd EXB open diffs , I can do all 3 aluminum full assemblies with (2) AliX alloy bulkheads for the price of one Arrma EXB composite bulkhead assembly 😂
My dealings with RCAWD have been less than favorable. Lacks quality.

I have been looking at the RCAWD diffs.. I see the 29mm versions are sold in pieces whereas the standard diffs can be bought fully assembled. Was concerned about possible quality issue to but then again, whether we're talking Arrma or RCAWD they're all coming from china so IDK.

Back