29mm exb diffs worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, keep in mind I'm pretty much a one trick pony. I rarely run anywhere but home on my hard pack clay track. It does get boring at times, but there's just no place like home. I've done the traveling thing back before buying my house 10 years ago. New locations are fun and exciting no doubt, guess I'm just old, lazy and boring.🤷‍♂️🤣🤣
Being able to walk 3 steps out your house and throw down a Rig to run is a blessing, no matter how you slice it. On your very own track is golden. I hate loading up my car to drive even 20 minutes away.

Another great all-around tire, but you’ll need big torque and a well built rear diff.

*Losi SBR 2.0 bead-lock wheel with KM3 BFG tire, need a +5mm adapter or wide stub/hubs.

IMG_6517.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a set due this weekend, if they’re the same thickness as the bigger Jun RC ones they’ll be tough as well. Been 65+mph on road and have never required reglue.
I find that when I glue up fresh sets of tires myself , they never unglue at the beads, unlike many factory premounts. Having to glue these yourself is actually a good thing IMHO.(y)

I find that when I glue up fresh sets of tires myself , they never unglue at the beads, unlike many factory premounts. Having to glue these yourself is actually a good thing IMHO.(y)
I've never had tires I glued myself come off, hell I've even tried removing some of the tires I have glued from the wheels and it was much harder to remove them than with factory premounts.

Agreed on gluing your own tires, acetone and it’ll never separate with adequate CA.

Yep, planetary set and sun gears are poor cast material in that first one I ordered.

IMG_0949.jpeg

IMG_0947.jpeg

Agreed on gluing your own tires, acetone and it’ll never separate with adequate CA.

Yep, planetary set and sun gears are poor cast material in that first one I ordered.

View attachment 333465

View attachment 333466
Oof, do you know if the arrma stock internals fit as well?

Edit: the way those gears are wearing it looks to me like the internals needed shims.. ?

I have some thick slow dry CA from Hobby King, amazing stuff... They do not carry it anymore, hope I can find it elsewhere.

I can't use the fast dry glue :ROFLMAO:
hurrying lisa simpson GIF

Last edited:
Acetone and even 100% Simple Green seems to prep the rubber well enough for some quality CA that is "Fresh" not old.
CA stores best when stored in the Fridge. Fact.
Even New unopened CA will go bad and become weak if left at room temp. for a long time. Been there.

I have some thick slow dry CA from Hobby King, amazing stuff... They do not carry it anymore, hope I can find it elsewhere.

I would bet that the Stocker 29mm internals will fit. I'm a betting man.:giggle:

Edit: the way those gears are wearing it looks to me like the internals needed shims.. ?
View attachment 333490
When the sun gear teeth and outdrive pin engagement broke it locked up and those were obviously slipping due to the havoc being created by all off the shards skipping around. It was all tight and meshed well when topped in flud and buttoned up initially. I’ve had probably 10 more packs through after it locked up.

Ring and pinion/outdrive pins are still like new. I do have an gear set incoming for replacement, Arrma had issues with this occurring as well. Not sure if it’s still a problem but it’ll be open next time with heavier wt fluid.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2851696866...ar=587045110210&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Last edited:
When the sun gear teeth and outdrive pin engagement broke it locked up and those were obviously slipping due to the havoc being created by all off the shards skipping around. It was all tight and meshed well when topped in flud and buttoned up initially. I’ve had probably 10 more packs through after it locked up.

Ring and pinion/outdrive pins are still like new. I do have an arrma gear set incoming for replacement, Arrma had issues with this occurring as well. Not sure if it’s still a problem but it’ll be open next time with heavier wt fluid.
Time for some fish tails!

Satisfying Burn Out GIF by JcrOffroad

By the way did the screws need any Loctite to keep that diff together?

Time for some fish tails!

Satisfying Burn Out GIF by JcrOffroad

By the way did the screws need any Loctite to keep that diff together?
Yes and they come installed with ample amounts where I’d recommend heat to remove so the head doesn’t break/strip.

View attachment 333490

Hobbyking ca glue was rebranded Bob Smith Industries at least the stuff I had was. So I would check out their website and see if they make it.

Hobbyking ca glue was rebranded Bob Smith Industries at least the stuff I had was. So I would check out their website and see if they make it.
Thanks Slick!

1) I went ahead and ordered some Vitavon HD diff gears as well as OEM arrma gears. I'm thinking I'll put the HD gears in the rear diffs. Seems like the rear would be the best place for the HDs. Can anyone confirm this?

2) Maybe a stupid question but hey I'm a stupid person: on an EXB LSD diff, can/do you shim the satellite gears despite the lone lsd plate being there?? I know on the opens diffs you do

Last edited:
1) I went ahead and ordered some Vitavon HD diff gears as well as OEM arrma gears. I'm thinking I'll put the HD gears in the rear diffs. Seems like the rear would be the best place for the HDs. Can anyone confirm this?

2) Maybe a stupid question but hey I'm a stupid person: on an EXB LSD diff, can/do you shim the satellite gears despite the lone lsd plate being there?? I know on the opens diffs you do
Yes on both accounts I run blx aluminum cups in the fronts of mine with better pin material and 31mm Vitavon ring/input gears.

All the EXB friction plates do is create a little more drag on the back of the gear-set so replacing with flat washers/shim of similar thickness is appropriate. Obviously fluid weight should be upped slightly to simulate the desired power transfer.

With an even grind or sand you should smooth the back of the gears so it doesn’t prematurely wear through the shim however.

Last edited:
Back