Kraton CVD Slider Set vs Stock Drive Shafts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC-RAD

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Kraton 4s
  4. Mojave
  5. Outcast 4s
Just got two pairs of the CVD slider sets for the 4s line. Going to install a pair at the rear of my K4S and O4S when the stock driveshafts break since that’s all my broken driveshafts occur.

When I held them in my hand they felt beefier and heavier (much heavier) so I weighed then to compare. A pair of stock driveshafts are 2.61oz/73.99 grams and a pair of the cvd sliders are 5.01oz/142.03 grams. Almost twice as heavy.

Would the increase in weight cause more strain on the diffs? I’m assuming yes. Everyone’s thoughts? I’m curious if ARRMA will come out with a aluminum diff gears for when they update the 4s line. I know Hot racing has them but they are out of stock and my diffs having been holding up for awhile now.

3A693445-F28E-4ACF-904E-8C3C503D3AC6.jpeg

9C11C1AC-9D9D-44B4-9E2F-9D83D4AEA406.jpeg

There will obviously be a small increase in overall vehicle mass and wheel rotational inertia but if you are concerned with the inertia increase... with the mass conentrated so close to each drive line centre it wont feel anything like having say a 30g increase in the tyres instead.

Consider that small inertia increase compared to motor torque and it seem relatively insignificant but then the Kraton is already a heavy truck and the diffs are not exactly strong.
I don't like adding weight but if thats a part the breaks easily I'd go ahead and just try to offset the weight increase elsewhere maybe by Lipo choice etc

There will obviously be a small increase in overall vehicle mass and wheel rotational inertia but if you are concerned with the inertia increase... with the mass conentrated so close to each drive line centre it wont feel anything like having say a 30g increase in the tyres instead.

Consider that small inertia increase compared to motor torque and it seem relatively insignificant but then the Kraton is already a heavy truck and the diffs are not exactly strong.
I don't like adding weight but if thats a part the breaks easily I'd go ahead and just try to offset the weight increase elsewhere maybe by Lipo choice etc

Got it. Thanks for explaining in physics terms totally makes sense. Good to know my physics class years ago is paying off.

Just got two pairs of the CVD slider sets for the 4s line. Going to install a pair at the rear of my K4S and O4S when the stock driveshafts break since that’s all my broken driveshafts occur.

When I held them in my hand they felt beefier and heavier (much heavier) so I weighed then to compare. A pair of stock driveshafts are 2.61oz/73.99 grams and a pair of the cvd sliders are 5.01oz/142.03 grams. Almost twice as heavy.

Would the increase in weight cause more strain on the diffs? I’m assuming yes. Everyone’s thoughts? I’m curious if ARRMA will come out with a aluminum diff gears for when they update the 4s line. I know Hot racing has them but they are out of stock and my diffs having been holding up for awhile now.

View attachment 90466
View attachment 90467
The additional weight is nothing i think its goign to be more harmful if you use thick diff oil instead than this.if you have the diff yokes from hotracing diff shimmed correctly you should have nothing to worry about

The additional weight is nothing i think its goign to be more harmful if you use thick diff oil instead than this.if you have the diff yokes from hotracing diff shimmed correctly you should have nothing to worry about

Good to know. I might just install the CVDs now since the driveshafts on both my rigs have been chewed up by rocks and debris at both ends. I'll have the spare stock ones as backup. I'm still using stock diff gears and yokes since my slipper has been dialed in for some time now.

My first full run with the CVD's on my Granite, the rear diff blew. But I think that had less to do with the extra mass of the sliders, and more about my little girl leaving the throttle pinned while the truck cartwheeled for 30' after a bad jump... "Look daddy, the truck is breakdancing!" Well, it broke, anyway... LOL

My first full run with the CVD's on my Granite, the rear diff blew. But I think that had less to do with the extra mass of the sliders, and more about my little girl leaving the throttle pinned while the truck cartwheeled for 30' after a bad jump... "Look daddy, the truck is breakdancing!" Well, it broke, anyway... LOL
LOL

I typhon a-arms on 2-3s rides.with arms axles are stretched to max an keep breaking.ive try 4a axles to long.bout granite integy axles to short.wish I could find a good axle to run
Wonder if those cvd sliders would work

Attachments

• 20200717_182354.jpg
    20200717_182354.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 58
I typhon a-arms on 2-3s rides.with arms axles are stretched to max an keep breaking.ive try 4a axles to long.bout granite integy axles to short.wish I could find a good axle to run
You will need to run the Hot Racing 17mm hex adapters for the Granite as the Typhon hexes won't fit the stub axles.

You will need to run the Hot Racing 17mm hex adapters for the Granite as the Typhon hexes won't fit the stub axles.
Like these?? Left side stock BR..right side with typhon arms..Axles maxed

View attachment 90466
View attachment 90467
Could I see a side by side of stock vs cvd axle fully compressed together??

View attachment 90466
View attachment 90467

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200719-022004_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200719-022004_Photos.jpg
    631.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

6f653380-5efa-41f0-bace-00290e770408-jpeg.90678

Attachments

• 6F653380-5EFA-41F0-BACE-00290E770408.jpeg
    6F653380-5EFA-41F0-BACE-00290E770408.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 310

Yeah those hexes will bolt up to the Granite cvd sliders, the 4s sliders won't fit unless you swap out to the 4s a arms, chubs and axle carriers.

I have the same setup typhon arms with mx28s no axles issues hexes extendors have their cons

Thought I'd revive this thread instead of starting another.

It's been some time what's the general consensus on these cvds? Are they worth the $100? My Duratrax six packs bit the dust yesterday prematurely and mx28s all way round are close enough to the price of what it would cost me to finish out my outcast conversion that I think I'm just gonna do that.

I got my Slipper sorted so I think she'll take those backflip LPs fine now. I only need arms, turbuckles and hub carriers to complete the build already have everything else and my Granite is beefed up for 4s already.

Just trying to decide whether to spend ~$40 on the stock shafts and wait and see how they do or ~$90 on the cvds...

I run primarily on grass or pavement not much dirt around here

Last edited:

View attachment 90466
View attachment 90467
I have a question for you a little bit off subject. Looking at the stock 4s driveshafts… how do they compare to the stock 3s driveshafts? Are they basically the same thing, just longer, or are they beefier all the way around?

Thought I'd revive this thread instead of starting another.

It's been some time what's the general consensus on these cvds? Are they worth the $100? My Duratrax six packs bit the dust yesterday prematurely and mx28s all way round are close enough to the price of what it would cost me to finish out my outcast conversion that I think I'm just gonna do that.

I got my Slipper sorted so I think she'll take those backflip LPs fine now. I only need arms, turbuckles and hub carriers to complete the build already have everything else and my Granite is beefed up for 4s already.

Just trying to decide whether to spend ~$40 on the stock shafts and wait and see how they do or ~$90 on the cvds...

I run primarily on grass or pavement not much dirt around here
Yes they are worth it. I have yet to break these CVD. If you are tired of breaking your stock shafts or popping them off then they are worth it.
I have a question for you a little bit off subject. Looking at the stock 4s driveshafts… how do they compare to the stock 3s driveshafts? Are they basically the same thing, just longer, or are they beefier all the way around?
From what I remember they are beefier and I think longer. I don’t own a 3S.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back