Kraton Did Arrma need to redesign the diffs in the EXB?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think theres more than one reason why the rear diff is failing you can put as many shims as you want and still have reports of the diff failing after 5 mins of street run. So far the asnwer from arrma is shim the diffs and thats pretty much it or buy the lsd plates no annoncement of any other fix yet after a month the car has been released
A month?! Do you think there's magic elves working at the engineering table at Arrma? Designing and then redesigning takes time and money. Once that's done, implementing those changes into an already busy manufacturing process is like threading a needle. The quick fix is already in with the lsd plates. I'm sure that's not the permanent fix though. Likely we would see some redesign late in the year or early into 2021.

A month?! Do you think there's magic elves working at the engineering table at Arrma? Designing and then redesigning takes time and money. Once that's done, implementing those changes into an already busy manufacturing process is like threading a needle. The quick fix is already in with the lsd plates. I'm sure that's not the permanent fix though. Likely we would see some redesign late in the year or early into 2021.
Hopefully the k8s fix didnt take long thats why im pointing this out

Hopefully the k8s fix didnt take long thats why im pointing this out
I thought you posted last week that you just get the EXB, yeah? Have you even driven it yet or are you waiting for the magic elves to make bulletproof solutions to the known diffs first before you even give it a rip? ?

I thought you posted last week that you just get the EXB, yeah? Have you even driven it yet or are you waiting for the magic elves to make bulletproof solutions to the known diffs first before you even give it a rip? ?
Did not ran it yet waiting for those lsd plates
Going to update my build thread later today

Arrma has a fix for the rear diff issue. That much I know. What it is though I do not. If it's something like they did with the Kraton 8S I expect a lot of butthurt and probably justified. You know they just aren't going to hand out the "fix" for free even though I think they should in this case. Time will tell.
Im actually totally happy with paying for an updated diff. That ain't cheap to make, and in my mind because the lsd diffs DO work, these could be considered an upgrade.

Did not ran it yet waiting for those lsd plates
Going to update my build thread later today
Elves then ?
Drake 26082020194924.jpg

Lmao exactly i know my diff going to explode in 5mins so why even try lol you know my luck
You've broken almost everything you can break on the 3/4s trucks before so it seems silly to change it up now. WHERE'S YOUR SENSE OF ADVENTURE?!?

But on a serious note I think you should try to run it because why not since you gotta wait for parts anyways. Running it gives you more perspective on the whole diff thing and overall 6s class truck thing that you can't get just from reading about them. Just my opinion, I'll be quiet now and let you go back to admiring the truck on the shelf ?

You've broken almost everything you can break on the 3/4s trucks before so it seems silly to change it up now. WHERE'S YOUR SENSE OF ADVENTURE?!?

But on a serious note I think you should try to run it because why not since you gotta wait for parts anyways. Running it gives you more perspective on the whole diff thing and overall 6s class truck thing that you can't get just from reading about them. Just my opinion, I'll be quiet now and let you go back to admiring the truck on the shelf ?
Im going to post a video about it to show you why im not going to run it before i get the lsd plates. My kraton 4s did not had drivetrain issue for a long time since i got the yokes pretty much. Drivetrain issues and breaking the truck at high speed crash is another thing heres my thread https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/surchaufeurs-kraton-6s-exb.26767/

Im going to post a video about it to show you why im not going to run it before i get the lsd plates. My kraton 4s did not had drivetrain issue for a long time since i got the yokes pretty much. Drivetrain issues and breaking the truck at high speed crash is another thing heres my thread https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/surchaufeurs-kraton-6s-exb.26767/
I don't need to see a video dude. I was just trying to help you get over your anxiety and get you to try to have fun. You jumped in with both feet with the whole 6s thing and reality is this stuff will break and you will need to get your hands dirty. If you want to wait and not get any fun out of it in the meantime that's your call. I'll send it til the wheels fall off in the meantime.

I don't need to see a video dude. I was just trying to help you get over your anxiety and get you to try to have fun. You jumped in with both feet with the whole 6s thing and reality is this stuff will break and you will need to get your hands dirty. If you want to wait and not get any fun out of it in the meantime that's your call. I'll send it til the wheels fall off in the meantime.
I know but i know the rear diff just wont survive and would be 25$ down the drain for trying its not shimmed correctly at all
Was not upset dude ??
I was going to make a video about it anyway to show(posted on my thread)

Last edited:
Did Arrma really need to redesign the diffs in the EXB? Did we really need LSD diffs? Could they have just used stronger pins and upped the center diff fluid to 300k-500k?

I really think they tried to reinvent the wheel and it blew up in their faces. The V4 diffs are fine and people have run 8S through them without issue. I would have no issues if they used the same diffs.

What do you guys think, especially the people that bought one. Would you have still bought it if the diffs were the same as the RTR?
No definitely not they are an improvement if it wasn't for bad quality control we wouldn't even be talking about it. The v4 difs aren't fine at all the break easily and are pain to maintain. Hence why Arrma tried to reinvent the wheel as you say. It's funny really because over here in the UK there hasn't been that much trouble with the difs as we got the second batch of EXBs that seem to have been checked a bit better before leaving the factory.

Mine had the rear shimmed correctly but droop screws were upside down. Seems you cannot have it all.

No definitely not they are an improvement if it wasn't for bad quality control we wouldn't even be talking about it. The v4 difs aren't fine at all the break easily and are pain to maintain. Hence why Arrma tried to reinvent the wheel as you say. It's funny really because over here in the UK there hasn't been that much trouble with the difs as we got the second batch of EXBs that seem to have been checked a bit better before leaving the factory.
I disagree with the V4 diffs breaking easily. That certainly hasn't been my experience.
Mine had the rear shimmed correctly but droop screws were upside down. Seems you cannot have it all.
I think they mean for them to be that way. I'm assuming that you had to adjust them from underneath and not the top? I found it way easier to adjust from the bottom.

Landing on throttle. Takes time to make that stop, but it's a very likely candidate

I have tried to pay attention to this, but I bet you are right. I sometimes run in a small space and i need to prevent hitting things and in this situation I may not be noticing this, or breaking in the air and not releasing soon enough. Thanks!

I have tried to pay attention to this, but I bet you are right. I sometimes run in a small space and i need to prevent hitting things and in this situation I may not be noticing this, or breaking in the air and not releasing soon enough. Thanks!
The way to get better is with practice. That means you have to break a few eggs to make a cake. Ask any of the long time members here on the forum, and they'll tell you that I'm the mega destroyer of parts that they didn't think could be broken. I started the 'what did you break today" thread so I could have a place to input all my own follies. Things are much better now, but that doesn't mean that I'm not pushing limits each time I go out. The thrill of this hobby is the moment you hit that move that you've seen on a video, but never thought it would be you could do it. If you watch @bicketybam , @Rich Duperbash , @TpPartsRcXtr and rcdude 81 all the time, than you better set up a line of credit with Horizon Hobby and your local hobby store. Watch what they did in the beginning and where they are now. Don't just bash. Break, fix, an then blast!

The way to get better is with practice. That means you have to break a few eggs to make a cake. Ask any of the long time members here on the forum, and they'll tell you that I'm the mega destroyer of parts that they didn't think could be broken. I started the 'what did you break today" thread so I could have a place to input all my own follies. Things are much better now, but that doesn't mean that I'm not pushing limits each time I go out. The thrill of this hobby is the moment you hit that move that you've seen on a video, but never thought it would be you could do it. If you watch @bicketybam , @Rich Duperbash , @TpPartsRcXtr and rcdude 81 all the time, than you better set up a line of credit with Horizon Hobby and your local hobby store. Watch what they did in the beginning and where they are now. Don't just bash. Break, fix, an then blast!

I'm totally with you. I went into this knowing I was gonna break everything and I have. Could I have broken less? Sure, but I've been going hard right out of the gate and loving all aspects of it (except the hit to my bank account). Wrenching and modding is just as fun! Thanks for the feedback.

I disagree with the V4 diffs breaking easily. That certainly hasn't been my experience.

I think they mean for them to be that way. I'm assuming that you had to adjust them from underneath and not the top? I found it way easier to adjust from the bottom.
IMG_20200825_213056.jpg
this happens a fair bit if you land badly. I've melted 3 dif cases over the years. Had pins snap regularly and in general not much joy with them and I know of lot's of other people that have the same experience. Even the Armma engineer I know reckons the new difs are a step up from the standard 6s dif. From what I gather from people using them is that it makes for a much smoother driving experience as well. I'll definitely be switching to the EXB drive train on at least one of my 6s.

Arrma doesn’t want to invest money here as it’s cheaper to buy cast gears in volume. Manufacturers such as Mugen Seiki (and a few others) understands the importance of quality gears. Simply put, Arrma is all about numbers, not the quality, and rely on the consumers to be their ginea pigs. This fiasco with the LSD units will not cost Arrma anything as they will charge us for replacement parts required.

I would have rather have machined diff gears than all the blingy, non-7076 aluminum eye candy.

I'm new to the hobby, recently acquiring an EXB and previously owning a Kraton 6s V4.

I took apart the diffs (front, center, and rear) to put fresh oil in before ever running it. Glad I did, since there was almost no oil in them. My questions are - are the Mugen Seiki gears better (assuming, yes) and why? Which set should I go with?

I appreciate any help.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back