Diff gears - straight vs curved teeth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandracer_NL

Very Active Member
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Mojave EXB
After opening the front diff of the Kraton I noticed the input and diff gears have straight teeth, whereas my buggy has curved teeth.
Does one shape have (dis)advantages over the other (e.g. strength wise)?
Curved teeth do like cool though, but then again you’ll only see them when working on them?

After opening the front diff of the Kraton I noticed the input and diff gears have straight teeth, whereas my buggy has curved teeth.
Curved teeth do like cool though, but then again you’ll only see them when working on them?
Kraton does also have spiral cut gears, but just so slightly curved that it looks almost straight.

Straight have less engagement area, so more stress on the teeth.
Curved (spiral) produce axial load, so more stress on the bearings.

If you're not limited by space (by the gearbox size) then straight teeth is better, as you can make teeth larger and you avoid the axial load.

That's said, on Arrma, the truck cars have (slight) spiral gears, and the buggy (Typhon) and on-road cars uses straight cut gears.

You got that backwards. Kraton should be spiral and Typhon should be straight.

The Kraton’s are indeed a bit spiraled after real close inspection, but the ones on my buggy (not an Arrma) are way more spiraled; real good visible. That’s way I wondered the pro and con of both shapes.

BTW, Arrma's new EXB diffs are more spiral than the v4 diffs. 15 degrees versus the old 5 degrees (as per Arrma's site)
Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 16.11.15.png

The Kraton’s are indeed a bit spiraled after real close inspection, but the ones on my buggy (not an Arrma) are way more spiraled; real good visible. That’s way I wondered the pro and con of both shapes.
Ahh not sure why I assumed you had a Typhon when you said buggy.

BTW, Arrma's new EXB diffs are more spiral than the v4 diffs. 15 degrees versus the old 5 degrees (as per Arrma's site)View attachment 106906
Yeah, my buggy has teeth like the ones on the right; looks like it’s a FTX DR8 EXB, without FTX even knowing it; marketing opportunity??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back