1/10 Arrma "Tyton" 6S BLX from spares (mostly)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 6s
  2. Typhon 6s
Figured I have enough spare parts to build at least 2 cars.
Those parts should be just right to build one.
IMG_20200509_162146.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going short wheelbase
Long wheelbase? Stretch a typhon... :)

I'm going SWB.
Unfortunately I don't have enough space to drive something bigger. That's why I tore apart a perfectly fine Talion (2018) after it had collected dust for half a year.

I did not have time to start building yet, but found a nice way to store my cars.
IMG_20200510_153638__01.jpg

What is the little one? Tacon Valor?

This was originally a LC racing EMB-1 buggy (which would be a Tacon Soar).
Now has Louise 2.2" Louise ST Pioneer wheels and body-mounts for a Pro-Line PRO3238-31 body.
Unfortunately, the shell and 3d-printed rear body-mount are currently broken after a nasty crash.

20200511_140309.jpg

It's a nice little car for limited space.

Built the diffs today.

IMG_20200512_213711.jpg

80k / 200k / 60k

Spiral cut (Kraton/Outcast) gears.

Front and rear have GPM cups, center hot-racing.
Internal gears and shims as well as the outdrives are Mugen MBX7.

Lubed and shimmed in their new homes.
IMG_20200512_221259.jpg

I will be using the Mugen MBX7 drive shafts that I had in my Typhon.
IMG_20200512_221858.jpg

Last edited:
For the hinge pin holders I'm not sure if it's better to use the stock composite parts (with 7075 inserts in the rear) or use the GPM parts.

IMG_20200513_112640 (1).jpg

Any suggestions, which would be the more rigid solution?

For the hinge pin holders I'm not sure if it's better to use the stock composite parts (with 7075 inserts in the rear) or use the GPM parts.

View attachment 79965

Any suggestions, which would be the more rigid solution?
I would use stock mounts, and GPM only for the front upper... the GPMs created more slop on the front lower and rear arms for me, and the delrin inserts in the rear oval out and wear too quickly

The diffs and driveshafts look fantastic

I would use stock mounts, and GPM only for the front upper... the GPMs created more slop on the front lower and rear arms for me, and the delrin inserts in the rear oval out and wear too quickly

I had similar doubts about the GPM parts after I had put it together. Maybe I'll change it.

Got something today:

Boots and shell.
These are actually new and intentionally "obscured". Will show them, when I'm finished.

20200516_165134.jpg

Last edited:
Reverted the hinge pin holders to stock and installed lower arms and shocks.
IMG_20200516_213015.jpg
IMG_20200516_214509.jpg

Same in the rear, but forgot to take a picture.

I have used some turnigytrackstar shocks that are shorter than stock Typhon.
This allows the car to bottom out with this shock tower and the wheels I'll be using (while still having decent ground clearance).

Last edited:
Reverted the hinge pin holders to stock and installed lower arms and shocks.
View attachment 81082View attachment 81083

Same in the rear, but forgot to take a picture.

I have used some turnigy shocks that are shorter than stock Typhon.
This allows the car to bottom out with this shock tower and the wheels I'll be using (while still having decent ground clearance).
Those shocks look awesome... I'm actually looking for some upgrade shocks for my 3s Typhon. Reckon these will fit it? Do you have part numbers for F&R?

Those shocks look awesome... I'm actually looking for some upgrade shocks for my 3s Typhon. Reckon these will fit it? Do you have part numbers for F&R?

I was slightly wrong about the shock brand. It's Trackstar shocks bought from hobbyking:
Front 90mm, rear 106mm with corresponding standoffs, shock boots and black shock caps.

My setup with 90 / 106 mm might be a bit too short for the 3s Taphon. There is also a 126 mm shock set, but 106 / 126 may be a bit too long.

From what I read in the thread Arrma 6s, Arrma Mega 4x4, BLX 3s and BLX 4s shocks upgrades and information, the 3s shocks are 100/115mm.
That thread could have some useful information for you.

I was slightly wrong about the shock brand. It's Trackstar shocks bought from hobbyking:
Front 90mm, rear 106mm with corresponding standoffs, shock boots and black shock caps.

My setup with 90 / 106 mm might be a bit too short for the 3s Taphon. There is also a 126 mm shock set, but 106 / 126 may be a bit too long.

From what I read in the thread Arrma 6s, Arrma Mega 4x4, BLX 3s and BLX 4s shocks upgrades and information, the 3s shocks are 100/115mm.
That thread could have some useful information for you.
Thanks very much... yep I've given that thread a good read. I've seen the Trackstar shocks but not with the black shock caps, they look great

...one more not-quite-right prototype of custom 3d printed side skirts.

But I'm getting closer to what I want with every iteration :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200519_153102.jpg
    IMG_20200519_153102.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 52
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back