Dirt in diff - Reasons and potential solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
Hi,

The last two times I have opened the rear differential housing on my Typhon 6s (the outer plastic, not the inner differential) there is dirt inside.

Obviously my concern is that this gets on the gears and causes premature wear.

My first thought was the chassis was bent and I wasn't getting a good seal between the chassis and the diff housing but after the first time it happened, I cleaned it all out and then looked for gaps using a light but couldn't see any.

Now that is has happened again, I am looking for the cause and solutions.

Between the chassis and the diff housing is the only way I could imagine dirt getting in. As a fix, I thought I could buy a sheet of 1mm rubber and cut out a gasket to put between the two.

Does anyone have any other ideas how dirt is getting in?

Has anyone tried making a gasket before?

Thanks,

Simon

I’m not a typhon owner but I did make a gasket using the Tekjo as a template. one sheet is 1/16 the other is 1/8 . I used 1/16 and the Tekjo together on my Mojave exb with a Vitavon bulkhead. Only a few runs on it so far. It’s holding up okay.

5E6E5062-6E92-419D-BBAE-0E0CE7EB0964.jpeg

09473519-D80C-4645-A73E-5BC7FFA59FFF.jpeg

Awesome, I didn't even know these existed. I'll have to get some.

what version do you have I think the latest has a built in gasket do you mean major dirt or just a few specs of dirt
I have an older version, no built in gasket.

There is enough dirt that it is very obvious. It isn't just a spec or two.

I’m not a typhon owner but I did make a gasket using the Tekjo as a template. one sheet is 1/16 the other is 1/8 . I used 1/16 and the Tekjo together on my Mojave exb with a Vitavon bulkhead. Only a few runs on it so far. It’s holding up okay.

View attachment 128568

View attachment 128569
Curious as to why you made your own using rubber as opposed to the Tekjo ones?

Price? Performance?

I assume you checked for crack. You could add some grease around all the edges to see where it might come from. I don't see it coming in from the seal between chassis and diff unless you have stripped screws.
Only other possibility is the cover, are you sure all 4 screws are snug? They can deform under load and some dirt might get in that way.
There are no other openings i.e. its a 50/50 thing. The large M4 on the bottom are typically rock solid.

Awesome, I didn't even know these existed. I'll have to get some.

I have an older version, no built in gasket.

There is enough dirt that it is very obvious. It isn't just a spec or two.

Curious as to why you made your own using rubber as opposed to the Tekjo ones?

Price? Performance?
I used both. The Vitavon bulkhead and Mojave exb chassis were not a good fit.

I assume you checked for crack. You could add some grease around all the edges to see where it might come from. I don't see it coming in from the seal between chassis and diff unless you have stripped screws.
Only other possibility is the cover, are you sure all 4 screws are snug? They can deform under load and some dirt might get in that way.
There are no other openings i.e. its a 50/50 thing. The large M4 on the bottom are typically rock solid.

I'll give it another look over tonight and if I can't see anything, try a gasket.

Thanks for the help guys.

what version do you have i think the latest has a built in gasket do you mean major dirt or just a few specs of dirt
Only the 8s rigs have a seal at the bulkheads. If you pack a bit a grease on the bulkhead where it meets the chassis, it will seal out much. What I do. TeckJoe and Basher Queen make gaskets also.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back