Talion Droop screw install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Learn by doing, not by staring at it. Just be organozed with your screws when dissassembling. Take pix before each wrenching task. Really helps.

@PatMarcus172 100% agree with SrC! I am fairly new at wrenching. I was nervous also to take everything apart. I started wrenching a few months ago.....I have now, in all 7 of my rigs (well 6, haven't dug into my new Infraction yet) changed diff, replaced bearings, servos, recievers, changed shock oil, parts that broke, etc. Thanks to all the YT vids and the awesome people here!!! 👍

Some tips from a former "I gotta take all this apart?" :unsure:🤯😯

*Organized pit area

*Have proper tools (MIP drivers, oils, stands, cleaning cloths, proper lighting, EXTRA PARTS!)

*Go slow and label everything. I have a lot of those little magnetic trays and use little stickies to label where the screws came from. Trust me, I still have an extra screw or 2 where I'm like, "Well heck, that went somewhere!" 😂

*Take lots of photos of each step...helps you put it all back together again, especially if you have to stop in the middle of something till the next day

*RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH.....while everyone here is always willing to help.....help yourself by searching YT and this Forum before requesting assistance. You will learn a lot quicker and retain it more researching and doing it yourself 👍 Plus it's fun trying to solve a problem or learn something new

*Be patient and don't give up. Walk away if you start to get frustrated. I have a Redcat BO XTE that I effed something up on it when I was changing diff oil and I'm still taking it apart to determine what I did as it won't move on ground. Frustrating as can be but I am determined to figure it out!

*And finally, just have fun! You don't need to repair these to get to work or drive kids places....it's a hobby....technically these are toys.....DON'T JUST BASH. BLAST!! ARRMA TOUGH BABY!!!! 👊✌️

Finally got round to watching this properly and it really helps explain it, as does a Bars & Tone one I found. However, what this doesn't show is how to actually install new, better droop screws. Im still so new to wrenching on my talion that taking it apart fills me with fear. Ive failed to find any videos that help. Any suggestions ?
In 2020 I felt the same way. SrC and many others were here for questions.

Times I could not find a video like you I wanted a play-by-play. If I could not I took tons of pic at each step so I could remember how it goes back or what it should look like when I forget. Next, I line the nuts, screws, etc in order as I took them off and put the screws back in the parts that came off so they stay together. Pictures were my best friend for each item I took off. I get ya I was the same on all of it....diff, motor, slipper clutch etc.

I could remove the shock enough to get the M2C droops in there so I could flex the arm up enough....but it would have still been easier if I had the arm off so the hole would not get jacked up. Go slow, take your time.

I still say today the hardest part of RC is understanding and learning to shim correctly...diffs, gears, input gears, etc...as jondilly1974 said it is like a PHD. Once you get a feel and learn it, it helps to keep moving items that change over usage in the correct order and not damage or break anything. SHIMMING is next on the list.

There are many here that learned the Hobby only recently, and after several months are pros now. Like @parcou and @Smilinbri stated. They are correct and are pros at this now.
You need to embrace the wrenching aspect of this hobby. Or you will either go broke dropping your rig off at a LHS every time it breaks ( some guys actually do this :rolleyes:) or you will get frustrated and end up with a broken rig for a Shelf Queen.

@PatMarcus172 100% agree with SrC! I am fairly new at wrenching. I was nervous also to take everything apart. I started wrenching a few months ago.....I have now, in all 7 of my rigs (well 6, haven't dug into my new Infraction yet) changed diff, replaced bearings, servos, recievers, changed shock oil, parts that broke, etc. Thanks to all the YT vids and the awesome people here!!! 👍

Some tips from a former "I gotta take all this apart?" :unsure:🤯😯

*Organized pit area

*Have proper tools (MIP drivers, oils, stands, cleaning cloths, proper lighting, EXTRA PARTS!)

*Go slow and label everything. I have a lot of those little magnetic trays and use little stickies to label where the screws came from. Trust me, I still have an extra screw or 2 where I'm like, "Well heck, that went somewhere!" 😂

*Take lots of photos of each step...helps you put it all back together again, especially if you have to stop in the middle of something till the next day

*RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH.....while everyone here is always willing to help.....help yourself by searching YT and this Forum before requesting assistance. You will learn a lot quicker and retain it more researching and doing it yourself 👍 Plus it's fun trying to solve a problem or learn something new

*Be patient and don't give up. Walk away if you start to get frustrated. I have a Redcat BO XTE that I effed something up on it when I was changing diff oil and I'm still taking it apart to determine what I did as it won't move on ground. Frustrating as can be but I am determined to figure it out!

*And finally, just have fun! You don't need to repair these to get to work or drive kids places....it's a hobby....technically these are toys.....DON'T JUST BASH. BLAST!! ARRMA TOUGH BABY!!!! 👊✌️
I started at ground level working on volteges. I drew an out line of the chassis etc on a large piece of card board and stuck the screws in each corosponding place. Also took pictures. After a few full rebuilds I had volteges down and moved to 3s cars.

Did the same cardboard trick twice during full rebuilds and had 3s cars down. Four, 3s cars later I got an old Notorious and did a full tear down and rebuild. I didn’t bother with card board or pictures. Just winged it and boy was it a challenge! Like a kit with no instructions it took a couple months and many repetitive re-builds….but I got 6s cars down during, so picked up a new Kraton and did a full tear down and rebuild in just a few days before it’s first drive.

All this is over a 2 year period and I collected tools, learned techniques like soldering etc, watched tons of wrenching videos and asked many questions here during my learning process. Now working on these things is fun and a great stress reliever. The best way to not be intimidated by wrenching is to dive in and do it, a lot. Good luck bud!

^^^+!
you need a dedicated work space/table and gather the best/correct tools your wallet will permit. Need some quiet time to focus. Maybe some good music and a brewsky.:LOL: No need to rush. take all the time you need. AF will always be here for moral support.:giggle:
It really is relaxing IMHO. A stress reliever. The results are satisfying. Wrenching for me is just as much fun if not more than Driving.
Doing this for 35+ years. Never put RC down. 17 rigs later.:cool:
The more you wrench, the more you learn how all the parts work together, will be easier to diagnose issues as you progress.
Eventually you will even feel more connected to your rig , understanding how it drives when bashing.

Last edited:
^^^+!
you need a dedicated work space/table and gather the best/correct tools your wallet will permit. Need some quiet time to focus. Maybe some good music and a brewsky.:LOL: No need to rush. take all the time you need. AF will always be here for moral support.:giggle:
It really is relaxing IMHO. A stress reliever. The results are satisfying. Wrenching for me is just as much fun if not more than Driving.
Doing this for 35+ years. Never put RC down. 17 rigs later.:cool:
The more you wrench, the more you learn how all the parts work together, will be easier to diagnose issues as you progress.
Eventually you will even feel more connected to your rig , understanding how it drives when bashing.
Maybe not too many brewskis. I’ve forgotten things like screws, put diffs in backwards and other goofy stuff. Between beer 3 and 4 is when poop gets interesting 🙃

In addition to a dedicated workbench, proper tools, etc. mentioned above, go to the dollar store and buy yourself a dozen of the small Rubbermaid containers (usually 3 or 4 for $1) and use that to group parts. Much easier than grouping them directly on your workbench and then accidentally knocking them off :)

RMC.jpg

Thanks all so much. I know I need to "man up" on this though you are all too kind to say it. Today I boiled then fitted an RPM wing mount and a new wing for the Talion. It took probably three times as long as it should but I did it. Its weird how paniced I am about working on this car, given how much I love the truck.

As a total contrast I am right in the middle of doing a complete chassis swap on my Big Rock and I don't feel fazed about that in the same way at all. I imagine its because I have a couple of 3S verhicles and they seem very simple now.

In addition to a dedicated workbench, proper tools, etc. mentioned above, go to the dollar store and buy yourself a dozen of the small Rubbermaid containers (usually 3 or 4 for $1) and use that to group parts. Much easier than grouping them directly on your workbench and then accidentally knocking them off :)

View attachment 225613
Excellent idea! I also use a few of these below when changing diff oils. Works great. Not too deep and keeps everything on tray. I also use a plastic bathroom cup, cut a hole in the bottom and it holds the diff perfectly while letting it settle/getting bubbles out 👍 ✌️
20210331_182704.jpg

20220616_094731.jpg

Thanks all so much. I know I need to "man up" on this though you are all too kind to say it. Today I boiled then fitted an RPM wing mount and a new wing for the Talion. It took probably three times as long as it should but I did it. Its weird how paniced I am about working on this car, given how much I love the truck.

As a total contrast I am right in the middle of doing a complete chassis swap on my Big Rock and I don't feel fazed about that in the same way at all. I imagine its because I have a couple of 3S verhicles and they seem very simple now.
It’s only intimidating when you’re not familiar with something. Often when I’m working on my cars I will do the same repair several times over to make sure it’s right. I forget things or put stuff in backwards so when I realize I’ve done something wrong I take a deep breath and go back and redo it. My wife has gotten used to me saying, ‘well I fiddlesticked that up so now I got to take it apart again, and since this is the third time around maybe I’ll do it right this time.’ 🙃
In short, I don’t stress about doing things wrong and repetitively fixing it because it makes me better at what I’m trying to do.

6s is quite easy to wrench on. Eventually you will see how it can be broken down quickly into sub assemblies.
Since it is prebuilt, the manual is not best for this, like with scratch built kits. The instructions are much more precise in Kit/part form. Every single assembled part is addressed.

6s is just new to you. You already have the skills there.

6s is quite easy to wrench on. Eventually you will see how it can be broken down quickly into sub assemblies.
Since it is prebuilt, the manual is not best for this, like with scratch built kits. The instructions are much more precise in Kit/part form. Every single assembled part is addressed.

6s is just new to you. You already have the skills there.
Peep the new Kevin talbot video talking about the forum. you made it on there hahahaha

Since it is prebuilt, the manual is not best for this, like with scratch built kits. The instructions are much more precise in Kit/part form.
You are SO right. I think the biggest single complaint I have for Arrma are the crap manuals that come with them. Even the exploded parts views are not particularly helpful when doing certain tasks, especially for regular maintenance jobs like pulling diffs. Before I got comfortable with it I was disassembling much more than necessary, and it was quite frustrating. The ironic thing is that Arrma could basically do just one single build manual for all the 6s vehicles as they are essentially an all modular design between models. And yet they don’t. Come on, Arrma! Even my Associated RTR’s came with proper build guides.

I will admit, that the my TLRT manual was the best example that Arrma could produce.
Take a look at it. Download it. It is directly written for a Racer.
And yet, still short procedurally, if you ask me.

I will admit, that the my TLRT manual was the best example that Arrma could produce.
Take a look at it. Download it. It is directly written for a Racer.
And yet, still short procedurally, if you ask me.
Thanks for that, I’d never thought to look at the TLRT manual before. Yes, that’s a quantum leap compared to the regular Typhon manual. Dollars to donuts says Losi wrote it and Arrma had nothing to do with it, lol. The setup info is super valuable.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back