Vendetta ESC Cutting out 6s Spectrum Firma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minnox

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Vendetta
When I hit full throttle after a second or two the ESC cut power. The car was still pulling when the ESC cut out. I know there is more in it!
Here is my set up.

6s 150a ESC Spectrum Firma
Stock motor
46t spur MOD1 on a spool
21t Mod1 pinion
2- 3s batteries 120c
AVC turn all the way down
Controller on 100%
clean road

102MPH

In general the Firma 150 does have an Amp threshold that cuts rather early on, when speed running hard pulls.
The first and best thing to always do is Drop the ESC's Punch Level ALL the way down completely when speed running with Hard pulls. Reducing Amp cuts greatly. (y)
How the Hard core speed runners always set it this way. How I fly.
It's the first thing you adjust with your ESC.
AVC has nothing to do with your issue. I find that AVC Gain is best around 10% or less, FWIW. Very little is needed to work correctly and keep it tracking straight during passes.
The rest is simply trigger control. And sometimes an inadequate Lipo pack is part of the issue. Improper gearing as well. But the Firma 150 should handle a 20T Pinion in a lightweight Detta rather easily.
Give that a try.
BTW, 102 MPH is impressive for a Detta.
Running space and Radio range limiting, you should get even faster PB's with your setup.
My RadioLink RC6GS gets me the range I need without loss of control. I find the Spektrum radios not great for long range. Always test your range. Loss of signal creates major carnage. Been there.
:cool:

Last edited:
If you're gradually easing into full trigger with speed your Lipo probably isn't up to the task.

+1
Especially if the Punch setting is not dropped all the way down. The more punch, the more amp burst that occurs. Hence amp cuts.
Lipos are def. part of this equation.. The rest is a steady gradual trigger control.
Perfect Pass Thr. limiter is one upgrade option.

I took about 200 feet to get up to full throttle and I am running brand new Hoovo 3s 120c lipos. And i understand I am running amazon batteries but cant afford SMC's right now.

I will adjust my punch control before the next run.

Thanks
Mike

Absolutely drop the Punch completely down. It really works. The only way to speed run.
It is a thing.
Let us know what your PB's are when you try next run in.
I would also drop the ESC's Motor Timing all the way down. It only increases RPM's slightly, and just creates more motor heat, if anything. Once you have maxxed out your PB's and consistently so, Dial Up the ESC's Motor Timing just one notch at a time, and evaluate, to see if you can eek out that 1 or 2 mph more. A good motor fan solution is always a given right out the gate.
Trust me on this.

Last edited:
I took about 200 feet to get up to full throttle and I am running brand new Hoovo 3s 120c lipos. And i understand I am running amazon batteries but cant afford SMC's right now.

Thanks
Mike
Hoovo is probably not helping, but CNHL is a good middle ground between SMC and Amazon. Highly recommend their racing packs. I have 5 CNHL Racing packs and they are all outstanding.

Thanks
Mike
200 feet is not enough space before full sustained trigger/ 100% power IMHO. You are dumping amps too fast, too hard, too early.
Typical passes are 1000 ft give or take long runs with 100+ mph passes.,
And let her breathe for several seconds at 100% power, as Raz would say.:LOL:

Last edited:
When I hit full throttle after a second or two the ESC cut power. The car was still pulling when the ESC cut out. I know there is more in it!
Here is my set up.

6s 150a ESC Spectrum Firma
Stock motor
46t spur MOD1 on a spool
21t Mod1 pinion
2- 3s batteries 120c
AVC turn all the way down
Controller on 100%
clean road

102MPH
I have the same problem with my Limitless, i use a 160a one and I don't run on hot days because it cuts out on me.
I am running my vendetta with the same ESC and the 2050kv motor. I have gotten 59mph on 3S with 50% power in.
102mph is very nice for a Spektrum, keep it up!!!! Try the longest trigger pull as possible.

I run AMZ Yoowoo Graphene 3s packs with my 6s Infr and Lim. No issues.
But with speedrunning, Lipos do matter.
I don't think you always need SMC's or necessarily expensive packs, especially with a lightweight 4x4 platform running 6s electrics.
Heavier rigs with poor Aero draw the most amps.

200 feet is not enough space before full sustained trigger/ 100% power IMHO. You are dumping amps too fast, too hard, too early.
Typical passes are 1000 ft give or take long runs with 100+ mph passes.,
And let her breathe, as Raz would say.:LOL:
Ya, I have a 6s trigger pull when I am running my limitless and I am only going 80mph. getting to 100% is more important than WOT.

When this happens, pay attention to the LED on the ESC. It will blink and tell you why it cut-off. Either LVC or overcurrent.
Overcurrent - don't squeeze the trigger so fast
Low voltage - your Lipos are anemic and can't handle it. Hoovoo are some of the worst with respect to overstating specs, but they are cheap. Maxamps sucks even more for 10x the price. Amazon only has lipos that are cheap, and they typically only differ in the wrapping and price. The cheaper, the worse they get.
I do not recommend lowering the LVC setting in the ESC, it's already way too low (3V - default)

LED flashes red with short single pulses - LVC protection activated
LED flashes green with short single pulses - The ESC is in thermal shutoff mode
LED flashes green with three short pulses repeating - The ESC has exceeded the continuous current limit

Last edited:
You need one of these my friend. Huge difference in power output. And no current limiting. And data logs.

You could get a lot more speed out of that stock motor.

https://a.co/d/dl46vG2
Yeah you simply need a better CC ESC. (y) The Spektrum ESC's reach a speed wall. They are limited. Known fact.
The stocker 2050 motor can supply some decent speed, with a better ESC.
Max PB's are achieved when you can sustain 100% output for at least 300 + feet within a 1200 ft pass. Give or take. Takes several seconds to allow the motor to catch up/breath and supply max RPMs/max attainable speed. 100% power and allowing it to spool up to max speed is the objective. A full trigger alone for a second or 2 won't cut it. Especially with very tall gearing. (Larger pinions)
Cool downs are a must between each pass. Temp gun in hand.

Last edited:
Well, some time has passed and not trying to empty my bank account overnight I have finally got a Castle MMX and I did a test run in front of the house and so far, so good. Now I need time to get to "The Road" and make a full run. I will post my results as soon as I get them. I have started to acquire the stuff to put GRPs on it (wheel adapters and the Big Rock hubs, still need the stub axels) then hopefully it will be done....LoL

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back