Typhon Just out of curiousity.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Street football was the best! Never got hit but did have a young kid on a bike with no brakes fly down a hill right into traffic and I clipped him with my car. I was only 17 at the time and it freaked the heck out of me. Cops asked if I wanted to press charges......really? Yea, put the little kid on a bike in jail. :rolleyes: He ended up okay.....was my brother's age and he told me one time he did have a big scar on his face from it when they were in high school. Guess his dad told him to okay in the street.

We were constantly told to go outside and play. Not in traffic. We did that on our own. Street hockey, skateboarding, bikes and RC's. Every Thursday night during summer break was go-kart races. Had a big hill at the top of the street. Every kid in town knew about it. The only rule was that it had to be home made. After it was determined who's was the fastest, it kinda turned into a Mad Max demolition derby. And some showed up just for that and went home in pieces. Rebuild, improve and come back next week. Lol.

Luckily, I grew up on a dead end street. So it wasn't often we heard.....CAR!!!!!

Yup, climbing trees, making forts, riding bikes. I also grew up on a dead end street. We made a really nice baseball diamond across the street in an empty lot. Every Saturday all of us would divide up into teams and have a great game. A lot of our parents would also attend to watch and drink some beers together. A simpler time. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Wish my kids and grandkids could experience those times. Sadly, we can't go back.

Raise Hand GIF by Nick Jonas

Yup, climbing trees, making forts, riding bikes. I also grew up on a dead end street. We made a really nice baseball diamond across the street in an empty lot. Every Saturday all of us would divide up into teams and have a great game. A lot of our parents would also attend to watch and drink some beers together. A simpler time. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Wish my kids and grandkids could experience those times. Sadly, we can't go back.
We rode our bikes everywhere, i rode all over Melbourne, the distance's we achieved still blows my mind even now...being kids we never got tired.

I lived on a dead end street also, we had a park over the road and all the neighbours would be out playing football, soccer and cricket.
Making forts was great fun.

But we went crazy with billcarts, we had a huge hill and we would fly down it..we once built a 6 seater billy cart...i remember putting my finger on the rear wheel bearing when we were flying down the road...it tore the nail from my finger completely off. :sick:

Baseball is so much fun, loved playing that at school.

Sometimes when we got too rambunctious, we were sent outside and told what time the door would be unlocked so we could go back in, usually 2-5 hours , they didnt tell us what to do or not do...šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

I ground my children to the outdoors all the time! Even if its raining... These boys would sit with a screen glued to thier faces 24/7 if it weren't for Rc and that..

As a kid I had very little rules. I stayed out till the street lights came on and pretty much did whatever I wanted.
Dad definitely told me to go play in the street though. He is/was always a huge stooges fan and would always be saying crazy stuff like them... like "hey! wake up and go to sleep!"

I used to ride my single speed bike down our gravel driveway and cross what is now a very major highway. :ROFLMAO: Wasn't busy 35 years ago, lol. I would go to one friends house where another friend would meet and we would ride trio around gathering up people to play basketball. There were about 10-12 homes that we all knew we were welcome to come play on their driveway hoop anytime without having to ask... just get out of the way when they are coming and going lol. It was usually a mom/dad or aunt/uncle of someone we played ball with. A lot of times they would just bring stuff out for us to snack on/drink if we got a good group going and they would watch and talk to other parents who may have dropped their kid off after someone called them AT HOME ON A LANDLINE :ROFLMAO: to invite them to play ball.
Hard to imagine how different it must be today...:unsure:o_O:cool:

I have 4 kids, I try to keep them outside as much as possible when they're with me! I'm lucky enough to have a little property and I make sure the kids are always on a quad or mini bike of some kind, running rc's, helping me do yard work, basketball, whatever... the 2 little ones will even ride the zero turn with me.. when I was a kid, we raised hell, and paid the price for it, from sun up to sun down, everyday... never malicious, but always on the brink of disaster lol.. sure do miss those days, everything was so much simpler

Back