Senton ESC issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick smith

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
  2. 4x4-Mega
hi all. Just got my new truck and already having ESC issues. No reverse or brake at times? If I re-power it, reverse sometimes comes back for a minute. Played with the jumper for NiMh and LiPo and same deal.

Unfortunately caused me to crash and snapped upper front left link.

Are parts available to replace? Maybe get lucky with warranty?

hi all. Just got my new truck and already having ESC issues. No reverse or brake at times? If I re-power it, reverse sometimes comes back for a minute. Played with the jumper for NiMh and LiPo and same deal.

Ufortunately caused me to crash and snapped upper front left link.

Are parts available to replace? Maybe get lucky with warranty?[/QUOTE\

The same thing happened to me today. You can try setting the limits on the controller, this improved my breaks a little, it also helped the reverse issue. I've had reverse and break issues from day one. I invested in 2s lipos and charger only to find it was slower than the stock battery. Holding the throttle down 100% with the car of the ground, it revs up for a second then slows down then spikes in rpms.? I'm new to rc, I think the esc is going bad?

Parts are readily available online. You can try Tower Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, eBay etc. It helps to have already downloaded the exploded diagram for your truck from Arrma's website that way you have part numbers available to you.

Adjusting dual rates and end point limits sounds like a good idea, but you should remember that it could also be something happening with your receiver too. You might also try re-binding your transmitter to the receiver per your instruction manual if End Point Adjustments don't work out for you.

With that being said, I also have problems going into reverse with the stock esc. If my throttle dual rates aren't set just right I'll end up having to give the tiniest amount of throttle before I can get it to go into reverse.

Hope this helps.

I've had my reverse stop on me several times even with my 1/8 cars. Most of the time it was because of the throttle trim being off enough to screw with the control. With the ttx300, it seems to be able to turn 10% either way & not affect the car's movement, but the upper bound of that 10% is a dead zone where the controls will screw up. I.E. the point right b4 the throttle trim makes the car move forward or reverse.

Hi guys, Rick and I picked up these trucks together and both have experienced the same issues last night. Trucks performed so well until his quit (about 10 min run time) and caused a crash and broke a few parts. I got lucky and didn't break anything when mine quit. We tried swapping out transmitter and receiver but didn't fix the issue. Playing with jumpers fixed for a moment then resorted back to no reverse. We will try adjusting endpoints tonight to ensure they are set properly however I'm leaning towards the ESC being the issue. Maybe it doesn't like snow or cold temperatures up here in Canada.

Man what a fun truck though!!!!! Great job Arrma!!

Can't wait to get ESC sorted. Maybe will try stuffing it in a ziploc bag with elastic band to keep snow off it tonight to see if its a moisture issue.

I found the 2s maybe didn't have the same top speed as the 8.4V NiMh (hard to compare), but it definitly had more overall power, and more consistent punch over total run time of the battery, plus longer run time. What is the C rating of your 2s? I tried a 5000mah, 40C 2s and the truck loved it until lost reverse.

Reverse on mine acted really finicky till I messed with the throttle trim. I had to dial it a little further forward than mid point. Then reverse came back. Are you running it in really rough terrain? Blown out the motor. That motor has some huge vents and an impeller to help with heat but that impeller will pull in dust and debris pretty easily.

I've had my reverse stop on me several times even with my 1/8 cars. Most of the time it was because of the throttle trim being off enough to screw with the control. With the ttx300, it seems to be able to turn 10% either way & not affect the car's movement, but the upper bound of that 10% is a dead zone where the controls will screw up. I.E. the point right b4 the throttle trim makes the car move forward or reverse.

I noticed this delay between the stock Tactic TTx300 transmitter vs my Futaba 4PLS transmitter, didn't think anything of it though as I have got this same transmitter on 3 other trail trucks and have never had an issue with it aside from losing binding on the odd occasion. Rick and I actually swapped out the trasnmitter and receiver for another tactic system i had on the shelf from another truck and it didn't seem to change anything. Works fine for a few minutes then out of no where looses reverse and or just cuts out all together with no forward or reverse (steering servo still gets power through ESC/Receiver when this happens). Turn ESC off and back on, truck works fine for another minute or two... then does it again. Is there anything that can be done to improve this deadband or just ensure the endpoints are set correctly? Sounds like adjusting throttle trim mentioned below may help.

Reverse on mine acted really finicky till I messed with the throttle trim. I had to dial it a little further forward than mid point. Then reverse came back. Are you running it in really rough terrain? Blown out the motor. That motor has some huge vents and an impeller to help with heat but that impeller will pull in dust and debris pretty easily.

We are running in winter conditions around -8*C, light snow fall. Tried covering one chassis with a leg stocking to keep snow/water out (stocking worked great!), left the other truck open and exposed. Both trucks still did same thing after a few minutes of run time. I'm thinking these ESC are not are tempermental to temperature.

I noticed this delay between the stock Tactic TTx300 transmitter vs my Futaba 4PLS transmitter, didn't think anything of it though as I have got this same transmitter on 3 other trail trucks and have never had an issue with it aside from losing binding on the odd occasion. Rick and I actually swapped out the trasnmitter and receiver for another tactic system i had on the shelf from another truck and it didn't seem to change anything. Works fine for a few minutes then out of no where looses reverse and or just cuts out all together with no forward or reverse (steering servo still gets power through ESC/Receiver when this happens). Turn ESC off and back on, truck works fine for another minute or two... then does it again. Is there anything that can be done to improve this deadband or just ensure the endpoints are set correctly? Sounds like adjusting throttle trim mentioned below may help.

We are running in winter conditions around -8*C, light snow fall. Tried covering one chassis with a leg stocking to keep snow/water out (stocking worked great!), left the other truck open and exposed. Both trucks still did same thing after a few minutes of run time. I'm thinking these ESC are not are tempermental to temperature.

Sounds like the ESC really is screwing around. That's the basic part of troubleshooting. It sound like it got wet or damaged somehow. I had a blx200 smoke on me shortly after hitting a deep puddle. The forward & reverse cut out so I turned it off and turned it back on. It worked for a little bit and cut out again, then proof.

Good to know options to make links work from other available suppliers in a pinch. I located some stock links locally and they are very reasonably priced for a set, picking up today. These didn't break from normal abuse, was cold out, snow, and hit curb.

UPDATE on the ESC issue. I wrapped my esc in a ziplock bag to waterproof it last night and ran a full battery through the truck. HIgh speed extended runs, lots of turns/start/stops/reverse. Absolutely no troubles at all when kept dry, worked perfectly. Will try a few more batteries before I rule out any other issues but happy to report it worked when dry, and isn't suspected that glitching was due to overheat or transmitter/receiver issues (-8*C in Canada so wasn't too worried about heat).

This thing rips for a brushed truck and cornering stabiility is awesome!

I'm happy with the truck overall. It handles great and is tough. I put it through some BIG jumps. It is tough!! My only complaint is over loose rocky terrain, rocks tend to get stuck in the steering linkage. This caused a wreck that broke a front shock. Some brushes mounted over the steering linkage openings and a aluminum guard over the lower shock mount are on my to do list. As far as my esc quitting on me...well that's the perfect excuse to go brushless!!
EDIT
I was looking over the truck and decided to give it one more shot before I order a new esc/motor. It wouldn't do anything when I gave it throttle but steering worked. While holding the throttle I rolled the truck on the floor causing the motor to spin and it took off. I drove it for about a minute and it died. Again I applied the throttle and rolled it on the floor and it took off. So now I'm thinking my motor is burnt out instead of my esc. It does smell like something is burning in the motor. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I switched mine out to a waterproof helion 30a. Since then any shuttering issues have gone away. I mounted mine backwards so that the Lvc switch Can be routed into the receiver box. I have no intentions of going back to nimh, and the switch will stay protected in the rx box. No more jumpers for lipo and this model has full time reverse.

Update on the ESC issue. After narrowing down that the stock ESC wasn't very waterproof, I swapped it out for a Castle sidewinder SCT ESC last night. I picked up a 3800KV SCT combo, however only replaced the ESC at this time and used castle link to set up for 12T brushed motor. Eventually I will swap in the 3800kv but waiting until I complete other upgrades mentioned in this forum.

That being said, I ran two batteries through the truck last night at -8*C and hitting as much fluffy snow as I could find. Absolutely no issues and truck performed great. Can't wait to beef it up a little and install the brushless power!

Hopefully replace the ESC in Ricks truck tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_4200.JPG
    IMG_4200.JPG
    276.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Leyland....I picked up the same esc\motor since my motor was burning up. How did you mount the esc? I used double sided tape, mounted it between the receiver box and the motor. It didn't hold up to the castle power!

Leyland....I picked up the same esc\motor since my motor was burning up. How did you mount the esc? I used double sided tape, mounted it between the receiver box and the motor. It didn't hold up to the castle power!
Hi Cbl522. I used standard double sided hobby foam tape in both mine and Rick's trucks. has held up fine so far after one weekend of bashing around in snow. Megasty mentioned some double velcro tape he had used which looks awesome if can be sourced easily (can't seem to find his post off hand but its in this forum).

Thanks guys, I bought proteck double sided tape but it isn't working. There's two blank holes beside the receiver box. I'm gona try and design a part to mount the esc in the two holes and have it 3d printed.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I bought proteck double sided tape but it isn't working. There's two blank holes beside the receiver box. I'm gona try and design a part to mount the esc in the two holes and have it 3d printed.

B4 you do that, I would definitely try the 3m Dual lock.

@2:58 I talk about it & literally pick up the whole car by it.

Nice vid! I have the dual lock on the way. Thanks for the help Magasty. Im doing the 3d printed part mainly for fun just to see if I can make it work.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back