Big Rock Esc problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmer101

Reaction score
Hi .. I have just installed a hobbywing max 10 into my big rock but when I turn on I get 3 beeps from the motor.

Also when I try to calibrate it does below also beeps coming from motor.. any ideas please ?

The initialization beep tones of all ESC's is actually generated through the Motor. It doesn't come from the ESC at all. In case you never knew.
Like stated above, the ESC counts out the number of cells based on the packs voltage you are using when you first start it. Normal. Pay attention to this. Then you will hear a final beep with a different tone confirming all is in order. Ready to drive it.

Thank you so much for your help .

I just can't get the controller to bind to esc.

I have put another video below help!

You gotta hold it!?

Screenshot_20230516-094754.png

Sorted ! I had the plug round the wrong way into the server but I have another prob. . the esc is fitted with a t plug female which fits into my t plug battery but am I right in saying these can overheat ? I should have ordered a esc with a ec3 connector ):

I recommend upgrading the T (Deans) plug to EC5 rather than to an EC3. The EC5 is rated at more amps than either the Deans or EC3, and batteries with EC5/IC5 plugs are common.

The initialization beep tones of all ESC's is actually generated through the Motor. It doesn't come from the ESC at all. In case you never knew.
Like stated above, the ESC counts out the number of cells based on the packs voltage you are using when you first start it. Normal. Pay attention to this. Then you will hear a final beep with a different tone confirming all is in order. Ready to drive it.
Hmmm .when I turn the power button on the ESC I don't get any beeps at all.but everything is working fine.i don't ever remember having beeping. Sounds even when my Big Rock was new.ik it should but for some weird reason it don't.i also remember before I changed out my servo my stearing would reset when I turned it on and now it don't but yet it's all working great..very odd

I absolutely believe you.
Has happened with a few old BLX Arrma ESC's. It's actually the ESC causing this IMHO. It works fine, just that the ESC is not sending the Beep tone signals/ fequency to the motor. So you don't hear it. But the ESC still does initialize. It has to, or it won't power up. I used to think it was the motor causing it. But I changed out motors to see, It is just the ESC that is not sending the beep tones to the Motor.
There are a very select few ESC's that actually emit the initialization beeps/tones.

Last edited:
I absolutely believe you.
Has happened with a few old BLX Arrma ESC's. It's actually the ESC causing this IMHO. It works fine, just that the ESC is not sending the Beep tone signals/ fequency to the motor. So you don't hear it. But the ESC still does initialize. It has to, or it won't power up. I used to think it was the motor causing it. But I changed out motors to see, It is just the ESC that is not sending the beep tones to the Motor.
There are a very select few ESC's that actually emit the initialization beeps/tones.
I kinda wished it would.i just like the way it sounds .kinda cool.i bought a castle MM2 combo that I need to get installed so I can go 4s . hopefully that makes them cool beeps.

I actually hate the sound. It is rather screetchy to me. :LOL:Some motors sound different than others. The Motor is the speaker.
If you look closely at the Pinion when it initializes. The pinion actually vibrates with each beep.

I actually hate the sound. It is rather screetchy to me. :LOL:Some motors sound different than others. The Motor is the speaker.
If you look closely at the Pinion when it initializes. The pinion actually vibrates with each beep.
Wow never knew that.i allways assumed there was a micro speaker in the ESC lol.
When I watch Raz turn on his cars they all sound so nice.different beep tones
Initialized

Yeah, Raz's CC ESC's sound nicer maybe?? IDK. On video can sound different also. But in the end, each motor could have a slighly different tone. At least, how I always saw this. I could be wrong.
:unsure: No one else really commented on this before. But I noticed this over the years.
I don't have a CC ESC, mostly HW and some Arrma ones.

Hi everyone .. it seems the problem starts when I tighten the screws (with the red plate) into the motor and then the motor starts to stutter .. when the motor is in its own it is fine ! It's strange because the red plate does not seem bent .. maybe the screws are to long ? Lol

IMG_20230519_093303_614.jpg

Hi everyone .. it seems the problem starts when I tighten the screws (with the red plate) into the motor and then the motor starts to stutter .. when the motor is in its own it is fine ! It's strange because the red plate does not seem bent .. maybe the screws are to long ? Lol

View attachment 300617
Those screws are WAY too long! They should only extend beyond the motor plate by a few millimeters, maybe around 6mm or so.

Yeah WAAY too long dude. Why the long screws?
What happened to the stockers? Should have used the same length as the stockers to begin with.
Hopefully you didn't ruin the Motor's Stator at this point.:rolleyes:
Aside from hitting the vital Stator, you don't want any Ferrous metal extending well into the Magnetic field of the motor. The operating Magnetic Flux is interfered with. If you never opened up your motor before, you won't undersrtand it. Open it up, and you will see the the potential damage you can do with incorrect Long Screws. While the motor is opened, a good time to clean and lube the BB's. Need to do that often enough as well.
Cut those screws down at the very least.
Or just source the OE proper ones.
:cool:

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back