ESC working intermittently

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantalyra

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 6s
So my truck out of the box works intermittently. It drives around.. then cuts out but still steers. Then suddenly works again and then cuts out again. Sometimes it cuts out for 10 seconds, sometimes it cuts out for longer. Again, while it cuts out, it still steers.

What could cause this? I am using fully charged batteries in both the truck and remote.

Try another battery and see if the issue goes away. Also, what truck is it? And are you using a lipo or a nimh? And finally, how long does it run till it cuts out.

Try another battery and see if the issue goes away. Also, what truck is it? And are you using a lipo or a nimh? And finally, how long does it run till it cuts out.
I am using 2 cobra 4s 8000mah Lipos on my Arrma Kraton 8s. It goes about a minute before it cuts out. Then goes another 30 seconds to a minute, then cuts out. Sometimes it cuts out a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes. I don't have another battery to use, all i could do is run 4s one at a time. I am using cheap Chinese batteries in the controller. Could that be an issue?

I am using 2 cobra 4s 8000mah Lipos on my Arrma Kraton 8s. It goes about a minute before it cuts out. Then goes another 30 seconds to a minute, then cuts out. Sometimes it cuts out a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes. I don't have another battery to use, all i could do is run 4s one at a time. I am using cheap Chinese batteries in the controller. Could that be an issue?
I don’t think that’d make it cut out. It’d be a lot easier to help you if the truck was in front of me... just like full scale automobiles, the hardest issue to diagnose is an intermittent issue.

Do you have a balance charger? Check the individual cell display and see if batts are balanced.

What is the C rating on those packs? I can’t find Cobra lipos online ??‍♂️

Yes, i have a balance charger. A Graupner Ultramat 18. I will check the individual cells later today.
What is the C rating on those packs? I can’t find Cobra lipos online ??‍♂️

40c but they are never hot, neither is the esc or the motor when i check them and it cuts off.

Yes, i have a balance charger. A Graupner Ultramat 18. I will check the individual cells later today.

40c but they are never hot, neither is the esc or the motor when i check them and it cuts off.
They recommend a discharge rate of 50C.

page 7: 2x 4s lipo, 50c, 5000mah minimum req.
Thanks, i read online before i ordered the truck that the minimum was 35c. I am new to this, maybe i screwed up and read about the 6s. So the lower discharge rate could cause the truck to just not work? Could it be triggering the low voltage or something?

If you are drawing more amps than the pack is rated for, the voltage will sag and induce LVC prematurely. The cure for this is higher rated packs.

If you are drawing more amps than the pack is rated for, the voltage will sag and induce LVC prematurely. The cure for this is higher rated packs.
This could be your trouble, intermittent lvc. Hard to tell though without trying another set of packs. I have a some 3s and 6s packs I run in my other arrmas that are 35c (hrb may only be 30c...). Hobbystars and two 3s HRBs, I don't see any difference between those and my 50c packs. The k8s being over twice as heavy as the 6s rig I imagine is much more hungry. Probably best at least to try some higher c packs and see how it goes.

Ok, ordered some "bashing" brand 70c 6000mah 4s packs today. Thanks everyone, if this works I will be very happy.

Hey everyone, thanks for all your help. With the corona-virus here in China, shipping was shut down and cities closed and my batteries got stuck in a warehouse far away and well, the whole country went into lock down. Well now things are kind of moving again, the batteries made it here to my city. I balanced them and popped them in. Everyone was right, it was the batteries. Car rips till the batteries are dead now! Huge thanks to everyone here for the advice. Now i have these 40c 4s 8000mah batteries and nothing to run them in. Maybe I should buy another car that can use them!

Hmm....40C/8000mah and it wouldn't run?
Those packs are just plain defective. IMO.
They are more like 5C's.:unsure::LOL:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back