Kraton Kraton Motor/ esc Decision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBOB

Reaction score
Thinking about pulling my current motor and esc and going with a setup that I can reach 80-85 mph on 8s. Will the xLX2 paired with a castle 1100kv be a better combo to try to achieve my goal or should I go with a hobby wing motor and esc combo? (8s) I want to keep my kraton on (8s) 4s smc v2 extreme 9700mah 4s 120c batteries most of the time I run off road

Last edited:
I've seen the K8s get to 100mph with Foamie wheels and an XLX2.
30+ pounds of weight going that fast is no joke.:rolleyes:

How do those two TP motors stack up against CC 1100kv motor? Castle provides fewer specs...
I like the tp motors more. The castle motor is expensive and the sensor port will go to poop in a basher so the extra you pay is worthless. I still think the castle motor is pretty nice but I've never had a problem with a tp motor ever.

I like the tp motors more. The castle motor is expensive and the sensor port will go to poop in a basher so the extra you pay is worthless. I still think the castle motor is pretty nice but I've never had a problem with a tp motor ever.
I am a Sensor guy when I do upgrade. I got spoiled with Sensored gear. I agree the traditional standard Sensor wires and ports are a bear to deal with for hard Bashing use. the mud and water etc.
But I think the newer HW Max G2 ESC's having that sealed WP Sensor lead setup is worth considering. If you are all into HW.
TP motors rule of course. At different pricepoint however.
I promise I will have a TP motor ... one day, as well as a CC ESC.

Got it, thanks. I'm gonna have to get one some day. Good point on fragility of sensor port - although I'm now spoiled by having the motor temp sensor. How does one monitor motor temp of a TP motor? (Hopefully there's a way other than temp gun :) ) I'm sure there's some sort of telemetry thermometer you can wrap around it, but seems like testing that internal temp is key. I could see myself being really paranoid that motor was overheating without that sensor. (So paranoid, I don't raise the cutoff above 180F on my CC 1100kv)

Some background context: when I was crushing life, driving my nitro Rustler back in 1998 :ROFLMAO:, the method used was spitting on the motor's heat fins. If it evaporated instantly - you were running too hot.

How does one monitor motor temp of a TP motor? (Hopefully there's a way other than temp gun :) ) I'm sure there's some sort of telemetry thermometer you can wrap around it, but seems like testing that internal temp is key.
I’ve found the wraparound thermometers to be fragile. They always break within the first few bashes.

Castle sensor ports have proven plenty durable for me. I own maybe a dozen Castle motors and have never had an issue.

You can buy sensored TP motors.

Got it, thanks. I'm gonna have to get one some day. Good point on fragility of sensor port - although I'm now spoiled by having the motor temp sensor. How does one monitor motor temp of a TP motor? (Hopefully there's a way other than temp gun :) ) I'm sure there's some sort of telemetry thermometer you can wrap around it, but seems like testing that internal temp is key. I could see myself being really paranoid that motor was overheating without that sensor. (So paranoid, I don't raise the cutoff above 180F on my CC 1100kv)

Some background context: when I was crushing life, driving my nitro Rustler back in 1998 :ROFLMAO:, the method used was spitting on the motor's heat fins. If it evaporated instantly - you were running too hot.
I do enjoy the castle motor cutoff feature as well tbh. At least I did, I don't really check temps too often anymore as I now have an idea on what my temps will be since I pretty much bash the same way every time I take them out. Temp Gun is your best bet sadly!! haha man I've taken some tp motors to 220f can temps and they took it like champs.
I’ve found the wraparound thermometers to be fragile. They always break within the first few bashes.

Castle sensor ports have proven plenty durable for me. I own maybe a dozen Castle motors and have never had an issue.

You can buy sensored TP motors.
Lucky!! I have one 1717 and one 2028 that got busted sensor port. I say busted but maybe they need a good cleaning? I don't know but they sure not working right as is :eek:

^^^
Spraying out the sensor port pin outs with elect. contact spray is in order.
You already know the drill... what to do.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back