EV fire inside garage // EV Fire Blanket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the point I am trying to make is that if people want to buy electric cars then I am fine with that. What I am not ok with is the government telling me I HAVE to buy an electric car when the technology is obviously not sufficiently developed. They did not mandate purchase of Pintos or Model T cars.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that if people want to buy electric cars then I am fine with that. What I am not ok with is the government telling me I HAVE to buy an electric car when the technology is obviously not sufficiently developed. They did not mandate purchase of Pintos or Model T cars.
Where is it LAW that you HAVE to buy electric cars?

Where is it LAW that you HAVE to buy electric cars?
2035 gov wants only new electric cars sold on lots. That's what I read in the news. California in particular.

I'd be curious to see what percentage of EVs that are sold end up catching on fire. I think it's important to make sure we look at data in the correct context.

Did a quick google and a lot of the top results were from EV-related websites (obviously). Scrolling past those, I found this article on Motortrend, which is hopefully less biased towards EVs:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/you-are-wrong-about-ev-fires/

A bit annoying to read as it's one of those "gallery" articles that makes you click through each image to read the next chunk of text, but the takeaway is that proportionally, EVs account for a very tiny percentage of all vehicle fires.

They cite data from Sweden (apparently this kind of data is not available in the US), but "gas- and diesel-powered cars account for 98.1 percent of all passenger vehicle fires in Sweden each year on average."

Still doesn't mean much, unless we look at the ratio of electric vs combustion vehicles in Sweden. In 2017, plugin EVs and hybrids made up 5.2% of the total vehicles registered. The numbers quoted above, i believe, are from 2018-2022. So we can only assume EV registrations went up since 2017, but I'm too lazy to dig for more current data :ROFLMAO:

My takeaway is that proportionally, EVs account for fewer vehicle fires than their combustion engine counterparts (1.9% of vehicle fires were EVs, but 5.2% of vehicles on the road are EVs).

*EDIT: Granted, there are tons of ways a vehicle can catch fire. Lots more data to unpack here, and I am no data scientist by any means. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

I'd be curious to see what percentage of EVs that are sold end up catching on fire. I think it's important to make sure we look at data in the correct context.

Did a quick google and a lot of the top results were from EV-related websites (obviously). Scrolling past those, I found this article on Motortrend, which is hopefully less biased towards EVs:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/you-are-wrong-about-ev-fires/

A bit annoying to read as it's one of those "gallery" articles that makes you click through each image to read the next chunk of text, but the takeaway is that proportionally, EVs account for a very tiny percentage of all vehicle fires.

They cite data from Sweden (apparently this kind of data is not available in the US), but "gas- and diesel-powered cars account for 98.1 percent of all passenger vehicle fires in Sweden each year on average."

Still doesn't mean much, unless we look at the ratio of electric vs combustion vehicles in Sweden. In 2017, plugin EVs and hybrids made up 5.2% of the total vehicles registered. The numbers quoted above, i believe, are from 2018-2022. So we can only assume EV registrations went up since 2017, but I'm too lazy to dig for more current data :ROFLMAO:

My takeaway is that proportionally, EVs account for fewer vehicle fires than their combustion engine counterparts (1.9% of vehicle fires were EVs, but 5.2% of vehicles on the road are EVs).

*EDIT: Granted, there are tons of ways a vehicle can catch fire. Lots more data to unpack here, and I am no data scientist by any means. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

Yes.
And of the gas and diesel vehicle fires...Were they caused from vehicle accidents... as in a collision?
Or someone was smoking and putting fuel in the vehicle??

Did those said ICE vehicles just suddenly burst into flames parked at a Dealership lot or inside someone's home, ie: in a garage??
Like the way EV vehicles do..

Yes.
And of the gas and diesel vehicle fires...Were they caused from vehicle accidents... as in a collision?

Did those said ICE vehicles just suddenly burst into flames parked at a Dealership lot or inside someone's home, ie: in a garage??

I wonder if any ICE vehicles catch fire by themselves?

And I wonder of all the EV fires that are reported, how many are from external causes vs. catching fire while sitting there, as you mention? Your post makes it seem like you are confident that number is close to 100%, but I would be curious to see what the actual numbers are.

I don't have the data. Maybe somebody does?

Yes.

Food for thought...
Ford Motor Company has issued a new ( 2023) recall for 125,322 model year 2020-2023 Ford Escape, 2022-2023 Ford Maverick and 2021-2023 Lincoln Corsair vehicles for a risk of fire due to engine failure.
As well, they stopped production of the f150 lighting ( a useless vehicle IMO) last March due to a fire in an unsold vehicle and recalled 18 vehicles. In 2022 Ford recalls over .5 million SUVs for fire risks worldwide...
Not sure what other manufactures have had similar issues.

I'm not an EV proponent yet. I feel the development is still in its infancy and without infrastructure were just shooting ourselves in the foot. Improve range, battery technology, infrastructure, and cost and I might get on board, until then I'll take a hybrid or my 1 ton dually diesel any day of the week over one. I work my truck, can't have something that's gonna take away my ability to pull 25k#s around on long hauls when I need to.

Back