Fire extinguisher effective against lipos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lithium isn't equal lithium. We mainly use LiPo Lithium Polymer which I believe has different properties but honestly never cared enough about it.
Look at the video and you have maybe 1-2 second to grab that fire extinguisher, aim and try to prevent that mess from blowing all over the place.

Not a strong believer that I would get to a fire extinguisher, in time, to make any significant impact.

More fire extinguisher options. They don't test against a LiPo fire but if it won't put out a camp fire, it's not going to put out a Lipo fire.

It's not exactly a scientific experiment; however, if the average person can't make it work under controlled circumstances it's hard to believe that it's useful under duress. Good old ABC seems to work best. I've used them many times. They are a mess but they work.

I am using Extover fire granules for added peace of mind. But will definitely get a few of these types of cans.

I purchased this last week to keep all my batteries contained a little better. I put some water bottles up top and my aquarium water tank is next to it. Hopefully I never need to see if it works.

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

Lithium isn't equal lithium. We mainly use LiPo Lithium Polymer which I believe has different properties but honestly never cared enough about it.
Look at the video and you have maybe 1-2 second to grab that fire extinguisher, aim and try to prevent that mess from blowing all over the place.

Not a strong believer that I would get to a fire extinguisher, in time, to make any significant impact.
+1
Better have a plan in place during charging to toss it very quick outside your home. A window nearby etc. You nearby with a steel bucket with sand perhaps to toss it in ,Leather gloves nearby. It all happens real fast. An extinguisher is only good to prevent other surrounding Combustibles from igniting. Like your house and furnishings. I have a nitrogen extinguisher and ABC one near. Myself.. But it will not extinguish a Lipo fire.
Fire departments don't bother putting it out. They have special blankets to cover burning EV cars for this reason. To merely contain it till it goes out on its own.
Lipos are self sustaining and consume themselves., feed themselves. before stopping.
What usually burns a home down is them left being Unattended. Thermal runaway happens quick. Be observant for that initial Pop Pop sound, and then white smoke oozing out. The cells will start to immediately Puff out and expand.. A firework show ensues.
Been there.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
+1
Better have a plan in place during charging to toss it very quick outside your home. A window nearby etc. You nearby with a steel bucket with sand perhaps to toss it in ,Leather gloves nearby. It all happens real fast. An extinguisher is only good to prevent other surrounding Combustibles from igniting. Like your house and furnishings. I have a nitrogen extinguisher and ABC one near. Myself.. But it will not extinguish a Lipo fire.
Fire departments don't bother putting it out. They have special blankets to cover burning EV cars for this reason. To merely contain it till it goes out on its own.
Lipos are self sustaining and consume themselves., feed themselves. before stopping.
What usually burns a home down is them left being Unattended. Thermal runaway happens quick. Be observant for that initial Pop Pop sound, and then white smoke oozing out. The cells will start to immediately Puff out and expand.. A firework show ensues.
Been there.:rolleyes:

For that very reason, I only charge outside. It's only a matter of time before insurance companies start putting restrictions on having an EV in your garage or charging batteries.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back