Mojave EXB recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan B.

Area man
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 6s
  7. Typhon 6s
So, I’m FINALLY supposed to receive my truck today. I saw some threads here for some other 6S models that suggested the “must have” upgrades for reliable running, but nothing specific for the Mojave. It is the EXB, so it already has a slew of billet upgrades on it, and I already have the M2C +2mm double nut hubs ready to install. I also ordered an extra set of body mounts, as it seems like every Mojave bashing video on YouTube results in a broken rear mount. Beyond that, here are some questions:

1. What parts typically fail in the near term, and what upgrades are recommended?
2. To Foam or Not to Foam the upper body mounts? Some say it’s a must, others suggest it actually contributes to the broken mounts.
3. What initial service(s) are recommended? I know for sure the rear diff has been gone through already, I’ll probably leave the diffs as is for now, and I‘ll double check fasteners throughout the truck.
4. Any specific areas to torque with loctite? I typically do everything that screws into metal, are there any real problem areas?
5. Any other pre-run bits required or recommended?

I have to set end points and link everything to my Futaba TX and RX and do whatever most of you recommend for pre run service and hopefully have some fun without breaking anything right off the rip. Thanks!

I've got about 10-15 packs into mine. Max6 1650kV setup. I added foam and have not broken body mounts despite many many poor landings. What I have worn out are:
Hub bearings (mostly outer). The balls are small and really take a beating on side landings.
Broke a rear shock piston
Popped a rear dogbone out and chewed up the outdrive. The brake line I used as a shock compression limiter did not survive and probably allowed this and the previous failure.
Started peeling the rubber lower bumper out. I drilled a hole on either end and secured it with rivets. Bulletproof so far.
No issues with the stock hubs and wheels. I'm using a touch of blue loctite and an impact to install the nuts.
Like my Senton, put extra reinforcement around the taillamp area of the body. It's not well protected.

That's it so far

I've got about 10-15 packs into mine. Max6 1650kV setup. I added foam and have not broken body mounts despite many many poor landings. What I have worn out are:
Hub bearings (mostly outer). The balls are small and really take a beating on side landings.
Broke a rear shock piston
Popped a rear dogbone out and chewed up the outdrive. The brake line I used as a shock compression limiter did not survive and probably allowed this and the previous failure.
Started peeling the rubber lower bumper out. I drilled a hole on either end and secured it with rivets. Bulletproof so far.
No issues with the stock hubs and wheels. I'm using a touch of blue loctite and an impact to install the nuts.
Like my Senton, put extra reinforcement around the taillamp area of the body. It's not well protected.

That's it so far
That’s great information, thanks. I had seen recommendations for shock limiters. I have some RC gas tubing that should be good. What length did you use? Did you do it on front and rear? Also, my “new” truck (built by RCNetwork and supposedly having run just one set of packs through it) will already be arriving with a crack on the left rear taillight area! ShoeGoo it is…
Also curious, since you’re running the same electronics what pinion are you using and how are the results?
Thanks again for the feedback!

I used about 4mm of silicone tubing all around but I think it split and disappeared from the rears. I replaced it with 3 1.5mm (I think) green nitrile o-rings from a Harbor Freight kit when I re-did the rear shocks. We'll see how durable they are, I only ran one pack since repairing it. I also put the rubber Arrma shock boots on at the same time and those will probably also perform some amount of damping as they bunch up on compression.
I can't remember what pinion I bought. It's either 19, 20 or 21. I did add cheap dual fans to the motor and it still gets fairly warm driving back and forth on grass.
Oh, also - move your battery tray to the forward position for better weight distribution.

I will absolutely take your advice, thanks for the great information. Looking forward to this!

Foaming the body mounts is a delicate art. Put too wide of foam in, and now just final wing absorbs the impact and it breaks there. Put a narrower piece of foam, and it lasts longer. I no longer use foam in the front, but I do use a narrow piece of softish foam in the rear secured with zip ties.

The bumpers will crack at some point. And the bumper mounts also. Install a windshield on the body. It will not lift at speed any longer. Cutout a vent in the rear of the faux cockpit for more air relief and cooling for the motor. Do this on the motor side.
Body mounts needed. Have a spare set. They were hard to source for a while too.
I use foam at the mounts. I foam it very tight. Didnt in the beginning so they broke anyway. Now they can break but not bash ending in any way. I used a CF rod under the rear body mount bracket using wire ties to secure it. Seems the rear breaks for me mostly. Keeps the mount from flexing from left to right side body posts. Makes the mount rigid. Foam seems to be the only way. I don't feel it can hurt or contribute any worse to damage. It may seem not to work if not enough thickness is used. The foam should not just slide in place. It should be very dense foam and actually be hard to fit and slide in place..
Then it will do its job. I use the Scorched RC inner fenders. With best results. Closed wheel rigs collect so much dirt, grass and debris. This is a high priority IMHO. The Mojo is my favorite rig of all my Arrma rigs. I never get bored with it. It is not a big air basher. But the scale realism just does it for me.

Also using the foam and mine has had some bad landings alrady. Some nasty hits from my kid driving and also fell from the steep about 20 meter hill, kept rolling down over rocks really fast and ended in the big pile of big pointy ones. Nothing broke so far.

And yea Scorched fenders are awesome.

I also got the shock rubber shields and custom 3D printed shock guards from previous owner.

Also using metal mesh to protect the fan from small debris.

For the pinion (also using Max6 with 1650) I use 20T and have to say both top speed and acceleration are crazy : D

I don't use M2C wheel extenders but been checking wheels after each pack and making sure its alright. And already glueing my tyres two times in the process.

Have fun with it, it is awesome truck!

For the pinion (also using Max6 with 1650) I use 20T and have to say both top speed and acceleration are crazy : D
I think I’m going to swap to a 20T as well. The builder put a 22T in it. I did the maiden voyage on a big soccer field and the grass had just been mowed. After about 1/2 an hour with lots of WOT and not too many stop-and-go’s the motor was really hot. I forgot to bring my temp gun, but it was definitely much too hot even on the short grass. Many have said 20T seems to be the sweet spot with this combo, so that’s what I’m going to do. And remember my temp gun next time!
That said, this thing is a freaking beast! Just….WOW! This is my first larger scale truck after nothing but 1/10 SC trucks, and my first experience with 6S power. And I’m loving it. What a cool truck. I’m super glad I made the choice to get it. It was between this Mojave EXB and the Losi SBR (also a mega cool truck) but I‘m definitely happy with the choice.

I still say Windshield, windshield, windshield. Vent cockpit also. Changes it for the better. Everyone that does this mod. Nose stays planted and gets better steering at speed.

All, I am seriously debating buying the Mojave EXB as my next rig. I have a brand new castle mamba X and 1515 2200kv motor sitting on my shelf. Do you think this set up will work in this car, and given the KV on the motor, what pinion would you recommend I run?

So, I’m FINALLY supposed to receive my truck today. I saw some threads here for some other 6S models that suggested the “must have” upgrades for reliable running, but nothing specific for the Mojave. It is the EXB, so it already has a slew of billet upgrades on it, and I already have the M2C +2mm double nut hubs ready to install. I also ordered an extra set of body mounts, as it seems like every Mojave bashing video on YouTube results in a broken rear mount. Beyond that, here are some questions:

1. What parts typically fail in the near term, and what upgrades are recommended?
2. To Foam or Not to Foam the upper body mounts? Some say it’s a must, others suggest it actually contributes to the broken mounts.
3. What initial service(s) are recommended? I know for sure the rear diff has been gone through already, I’ll probably leave the diffs as is for now, and I‘ll double check fasteners throughout the truck.
4. Any specific areas to torque with loctite? I typically do everything that screws into metal, are there any real problem areas?
5. Any other pre-run bits required or recommended?

I have to set end points and link everything to my Futaba TX and RX and do whatever most of you recommend for pre run service and hopefully have some fun without breaking anything right off the rip. Thanks!

Funny you mention that...

Back in June I asked a similar question, but never got any reply on the matter of having a Mojave sticky thread like all the other models...

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/recommended-arrma-mojave-upgrades-tricks.40480/post-556593

Perhaps there is a reason for it... Not sure...

Funny you mention that...

Back in June I asked a similar question, but never got any reply on the matter of having a Mojave sticky thread like all the other models...

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/recommended-arrma-mojave-upgrades-tricks.40480/post-556593

Perhaps there is a reason for it... Not sure...
@WoodiE ? Yes, I’ve also wondered why there isn’t a Mojave stickie like the other models. Some common info in one place would be a huge help, like parts interchangeability with other models, problem areas, common fixes, etc.

^^^ The Mojave is 6s based platform. Common mods, tips, and maintenance procedures on the drivetrain are shared among all 6s drivetrains.
If you have an EXB Mojave, it will have the EXB 29mm LSD diffs. RTR Mojaves have the standard Open style diffs. There are many threads discussing both types. They are different from each other. But also interchangable between both types of Mojave's. The F/R bulkheads are identical for both Mojave's and fit both types of diffs.

All, I am seriously debating buying the Mojave EXB as my next rig. I have a brand new castle mamba X and 1515 2200kv motor sitting on my shelf. Do you think this set up will work in this car, and given the KV on the motor, what pinion would you recommend I run?
2200kv seems kind of high for an offroad. Especially if running 8s. The Mojave is heavy'ish also.
I believe the EXB Mojo includes the 16T in the box.
My V1 RTR Mojo came with the 16T installed and and a 20T pin. as the speed gear. 16t pin runs cool with the stock setup. Plenty fast for me on 6s.
The RTR is 2050kv.
I would run 16T with your electrics on 6s to start with. Tria and error from there. That CC 2200kv motor will run at 55,440 rpms on 6s. I believe the specs for that 1515 39mm motor say 6s is the limit. (120 amps)

^^^
Should be fine. Get fans on that motor, Use a temp gun.
Try some Tekno pinions if easily available for you. Or conversely buy a whole set cheaply from JennysRC if feasible.
I always like to have a good selection of pinions on hand for experimenting with new setups.

^^^ The Mojave is 6s based platform. Common mods, tips, and maintenance procedures on the drivetrain are shared among all 6s drivetrains.
If you have an EXB Mojave, it will have the EXB 29mm LSD diffs. RTR Mojaves have the standard Open style diffs. There are many threads discussing both types. They are different from each other. But also interchangable between both types of Mojave's. The F/R bulkheads are identical for both Mojave's and fit both types of diffs.
Perhaps I'm wrong but it would be nice to have one Mojave sticky for all the other "not shared" mods, like the others...

Like I said, this is not for the seasoned player but for the new newbie...

It could have:

Setups
Mods
Must Have
Better Options
Compatible
Interchangeable
Fixes

If all 6s drivetrain share common mods, why then we have the other models as sticky threads?

forumsticky.jpg

I still say Windshield, windshield, windshield. Vent cockpit also. Changes it for the better. Everyone that does this mod. Nose stays planted and gets better steering at speed.
Yo dog!

Do you have a write up for a diy windshield?

^^^
I just ordered some clear Hobby grade 2mm PC/Lexan sheets from AMZ.
I used a thin cardboard scrap to cut and size a template. Take your time. When I got it just right, I traced out the Lexan sheet using the template, then a few holes drilled with several 3mm socket or cap head screws to secure. Does make a difference in keeping the nose of the Mojo down at speed. I also cut out one faux fan hole for cooling on the motor side of the body. Used some mesh to keep out rocks. Used Hot glue to secure it. I guess that's optional. Excuse the dirty body. I don't keep my bashers as shelfqueen beauties. This is my original V1 RTR body. It is beat to crap. maybe 30 packs in. I have an extra clear one and blue/ sliver one on the side.

20211017_203914.jpg

20211017_203947.jpg

Last edited:
Back