Talion Fast Eddy Alternatives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
After finding 14 seized bearings on my Talion I am looking to try another brand of rubber "sealed" bearings. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the most diligent when it comes to cleaning my RC's, but it's not like I drive them in 2 feet of water either. I've been having sh!t luck with the Fast Eddy bearing for a while now. I know of Avid and Jim's Bearings. Any recommendations? I don't need kits. I buy the sizes I need. Thanks!

I bought a kit of AVID's and some spares to go with that.. Cant tell you if they are any good at this moment.. They are only in my Buggy for a couple of weeks now..

As tou know.. Most bearings are protected from dust n dirt on 1 side.. Cause they are locked up somewhere.. Like in your hubs..

Rubber seals create a little drag.. Havin only 1 side rubber sealed reduces that drag just a tiny tiny bit.. I guess you wont even notice.. But i went that route ;)

To be honest, I have yet to find a bearing that is truly sealed enough to keep water in/out. I've tried quiet a few over the years and FE's get as much mileage as boca green seal, avid revolution and rubber shielded and acer bearings sport series.

vxb is another: https://www.vxb.com

Tried a few of theirs, but just a basic rubber shielded 5x10x4 clutch bell bearing is $6 a piece.

Similar prices ($5 each) for the boca 5x10x4 for comparison, green seal or black. They define whether it's a contact seal or not on some of them. Guessing those would be the "tightest".

To be honest, I have yet to find a bearing that is truly sealed enough to keep water in/out. I've tried quiet a few over the years and FE's get as much mileage as boca green seal, avid revolution and rubber shielded and acer bearings sport series.

vxb is another: https://www.vxb.com

Tried a few of theirs, but just a basic rubber shielded 5x10x4 clutch bell bearing is $6 a piece.

Similar prices ($5 each) for the boca 5x10x4 for comparison, green seal or black. They define whether it's a contact seal or not on some of them. Guessing those would be the "tightest".
I certainly don't want to spend $5-$6 a bearing!? And you are probably right. I'm just looking to see if I have better luck with another brand.

I don't mind replacing wheel bearings, but the ones on the diff cups are a pain in the ass to change, specifically the one on the bottom side of the cup. All 4 were seized when I did my teardown. I didn't check the centers yet.

I have both Avid and Fast Eddy's. To be honest I can't really tell any difference. The Avid are a semi-recent addition (ie earlier in the year). I'm not sure you will have any better luck with another brand to be honest but you don't know until you give it a go (did I just rhyme?).

When I do a maintenance session (usually once a month) where I tear it down and check the bearings if there is a hint of grittiness. I will lift the seal with a hobby knife, blow them out with some RP7 and dry with compressor. If they feel ok I will pack with some grease and reseal otherwise they go to the bin. I probably ditch around a quarter'ish of the bearings each time and keep the rest.

Is there a particular bearing that causes you problems? I have never saved an outer diff bearing (ie the one closest to the drive shaft)

Avid has done well for me. That said, I don't run in any moisture. I don't like the rust or the failed electronics. None of it is "water proof"

After finding 14 seized bearings on my Talion I am looking to try another brand of rubber "sealed" bearings. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the most diligent when it comes to cleaning my RC's, but it's not like I drive them in 2 feet of water either. I've been having sh!t luck with the Fast Eddy bearing for a while now. I know of Avid and Jim's Bearings. Any recommendations? I don't need kits. I buy the sizes I need. Thanks!
TRBRC makes some good bearings. I use their hybrid stainless ceramic bearings in all of my motors.

Boca bearings makes some nice bearings as well but they are a little more expensive than most others.

I had a set of Jim's Bearings in my Outcast for a year before they started getting gritty.

I buy AVID exclusively but only because it's what I started with and have never had any issues. Only reason I haven't changed is because I haven't felt the need to. I like their SLIP oil too. They also have some other cool stuff like wing buttons etc and I like the designs. AVID appears to've been around the race scene for a while but doesn't mean much to me.
The Fast Eddy bearings on this *new to me* Granite seem to be nice though. Truck is quiet and smooth running.

I was thinking if you go to a bearing supplier, you'll be able to choose the grade you want and generally are cheaper than an rc brand and better. I use an Australian brand for convenience, but they aren't better than the other's I just have spares of the critical sizes.

but the ones on the diff cups are a pain in the ass to change, specifically the one on the bottom side of the cup.

Yep... blue the ring gear side one out Sunday after my first jump... has been quite a few months since I had the diffs out of this thing:
2019-0721-Outcast-BlownDiffBearingDamagedRingGear.jpg

I just ordered some off amazon, also abec3, but wanted to get them quick enough to be able to redo all 3 diffs by the weekend. Should be getting the bearings tomorrow, arrma alloy cups and Mugen Shims Thursday. I have a complete diff from Jenny's in the drawer to fix the rear diff. I'll just change out the cups/shims (if needed)/bearings/oil on the others. Then will order a spare diff to have on hand.

@bicketybam whichever you end up choosing stick with ABEC-3. Tighter clearances on ABEC5 or ABEC7 wont help that situation experienced. I suspect a sealed bearing would hold up longer.
I've heard they can even be worse than the abec3 bearings in some cases especially when they are used in dusty conditions.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back