First proper build thread. 6S Diffs Reg vs EXB?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschlosser0405

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Notorious
So I recently purchased a V4 Notorious that is in need of some TLC. I never did a proper build thread on my K6EXB, so I am going to try really hard to keep track of this one. I have been getting a few parts for it and was wondering, should I use regular 6s diffs (it came with 4 total, 1 center) or should I skip straight to the EXB version (I have a few spares)?

Depends what you prefer I'd say. I've never personally ran the LSD EXB diffs myself but seems they require more tuning and lighter fluid to run good. Where as the open standard diffs are a bit easier to maintain and give more option for tuning with different diff oil over adjusting plates etc.

Depends what you prefer I'd say. I've never personally ran the LSD EXB diffs myself but seems they require more tuning and lighter fluid to run good. Where as the open standard diffs are a bit easier to maintain and give more option for tuning with different diff oil over adjusting plates etc.
I have run the LSD in my kraton in the front and center, then did the open shim in the rear. Nicely shimmed, I haven't had them apart/had any issues since early spring. I have seen horror stories about constantly breaking pins and internals on the standard diffs. Just not sure if that is the rule or the exception to it....I have taken apart the diffs that came with my noto and shimmed up 3 of them to what feels just as buttery smooth as my EXB's however, there is significantly more slop in the drive cups vs the EXB's. I'm just wondering if I am still going to have issues with pins and internals or if maybe the pins/cups I have are just worn and need replaced. If I need to buy a bunch of new diff stuff to make these reliable, I may as well just throw in the EXB's that I already have and get rid of these. I do feel for some reason as if I need to "experience" the original 6s diffs haha.

They both work great once set up properly for your rig/driving style/terrain. The diff action curve is different, the open diff is more linear and the LSD kicks up in a curve. I like the LSD a little better. If you can't tell the difference between earplugs and 50k, then it won't matter. If you pay a lot of attention to handling behavior, the LSD is a pleasant experience to run.

This.
I don't run any EXB diffs, The ring and pinions (main/input gears) are much more stought. (y)
If you already have 4 open ( standard) diffs that work, use those. Easy to work on. Filled and shimmed properly they last.
I have considered trying just one EXB diff at the center. Trying both LSD plate stages. As an experiment. Track rigs run best with Open diffs F/R. So I fly that way. I ony run 6s. If running 8s, I clearly see a strength advantage with the 29mm EXB's.

Last edited:
I have run the LSD in my kraton in the front and center, then did the open shim in the rear. Nicely shimmed, I haven't had them apart/had any issues since early spring. I have seen horror stories about constantly breaking pins and internals on the standard diffs. Just not sure if that is the rule or the exception to it....I have taken apart the diffs that came with my noto and shimmed up 3 of them to what feels just as buttery smooth as my EXB's however, there is significantly more slop in the drive cups vs the EXB's. I'm just wondering if I am still going to have issues with pins and internals or if maybe the pins/cups I have are just worn and need replaced. If I need to buy a bunch of new diff stuff to make these reliable, I may as well just throw in the EXB's that I already have and get rid of these. I do feel for some reason as if I need to "experience" the original 6s diffs haha.
Ya I've ran my standard non lsd for close to a year with I think only breaking two pins and that was speed running or drag hits and a bad one wheel landing from like 20+ft. Also only one internal satellite gear broken and I bash my rigs hard. Either should do fine if shimmed right just more tuning with the lsd diffs required it seems over the open diffs.

I think both are fine options. I run exb diffs to keep all my rigs the same parts wise. I do like the options of full open, minimum slip and maximum. I think the exb diffs are bit stronger but cannot prove it with any real data.

Thanks everyone very much for the information. I am going to run the standard diffs with the initial build and see how it goes. I may end up just getting the arrma metal diff cups.

I think the Arrma Metal diff cup benefits most in the center. But some do all 3. Its usually only the center plastic diff that runs hottest and will melt. Alloy benefits here. The metal diff is heavy, so I don't think I want them in the F and R. But many swear by them all around.

Ok, after thinking about it today, i'm going to change the spur to the metal hot racing cup I have for the center. Just a pain messing with that little o-ring but I'd hate to have something happen and sideline my new rig this late in the season. I'm sure the Max6 combo gives the center quite a workout.

If the HR diff works great. It's there on the bench already. (y)Alloy is the way to go for the center. You can always go the Arrma Metal option with real gaskets (2) (no o-rings) if you want later, for $20.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back