First Timer New Typhon Drivetrain Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bscheife

Reaction score
Total Newb question here about how the drivetrain works. Just got my first RC in 20 years; it's a Typhon 3S. Unboxed it yesterday and I was a bit surprised that it doesn't roll entirely smoothly when the power is off.

With the power off and the car in the air, for both the front and rear axles, if I turn one wheel, the other wheel turns smoothly in the other direction. This tells me there's a diff on both axles -- so far so good. But for either axle, if I turn both wheels at the same time in the same direction, there's a gentle clicking noise coming from, I think, the motor. That's what's preventing the car from rolling totally smoothly -- there's a bit of resistance. What's more, turning the rear wheels together in the same direction also turns the front wheels: first there's a softer click, and then there's a slightly harder click, at which point the front wheels also turn. That pattern repeats: soft click, hard click, then the front wheels turn.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the car, it runs great, but I'm scratching my head trying to remember if my buggy that I had as a kid did the same thing, and I don't think it did. But I'm wondering if someone would be willing to explain to me:

1. Where do the clicking noise and the resistance come from (and are these normal)? Driving and rolling the car, it sounds a bit rougher than I remember my old 2WD model being.
2. About the front wheels turning when I turn the back wheels: does this tell me anything about whether or not there's a centre diff?

Just trying to understand some of the mechanics. Thanks

1. The clicking is coming from the spur and pinion at the motor, and slight resistance is normal because as you turn all the wheels, you’re overcoming the rotor’s magnetic pull on the can of the motor.

2. The front wheels turning shows you that you’ve got 4WD. Instead of a center diff, the 3S Typhon has a slipper clutch which is adjustable to let you control the amount of power to the wheels.

Enjoy your new ride and welcome to the forum!

Total Newb question here about how the drivetrain works. Just got my first RC in 20 years; it's a Typhon 3S. Unboxed it yesterday and I was a bit surprised that it doesn't roll entirely smoothly when the power is off.

With the power off and the car in the air, for both the front and rear axles, if I turn one wheel, the other wheel turns smoothly in the other direction. This tells me there's a diff on both axles -- so far so good. But for either axle, if I turn both wheels at the same time in the same direction, there's a gentle clicking noise coming from, I think, the motor. That's what's preventing the car from rolling totally smoothly -- there's a bit of resistance. What's more, turning the rear wheels together in the same direction also turns the front wheels: first there's a softer click, and then there's a slightly harder click, at which point the front wheels also turn. That pattern repeats: soft click, hard click, then the front wheels turn.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the car, it runs great, but I'm scratching my head trying to remember if my buggy that I had as a kid did the same thing, and I don't think it did. But I'm wondering if someone would be willing to explain to me:

1. Where do the clicking noise and the resistance come from (and are these normal)? Driving and rolling the car, it sounds a bit rougher than I remember my old 2WD model being.
2. About the front wheels turning when I turn the back wheels: does this tell me anything about whether or not there's a centre diff?

Just trying to understand some of the mechanics. Thanks

First off, welcome to the forum..👍

The clicking and resitance is normal.. newer brushles technology has a completely different feel and sound to the old brushed stuff.. the magnets are extremely strong, hence the clicking as it travels through the gear set..

No center diff, just a slipper clutch assembly.. each hub can slip on the pad to alleviate sudden shock to the front or rear diff gear sets..👍

If it had a center diff it would react the same as the front and rear open diffs.. one would turn one way.. and the other the other way.. that is if you held the spur from spinning..

Enjoy that rig, they are a blast..✌

Thanks for the explanations and the welcomes. Makes sense re: the centre diff (or better, lack thereof) and the magnets in the motor. I was expecting it to feel a bit different than the old brushed setup I once had eons ago, but wasn't expecting such a big difference. Glad the tech has moved on!

I'm sure I'll be back here with more questions as I start breaking things :p

Bscheife, I just got a Typhon 3s. I do believe it will blow the pants off of anything I owned in the past. I mean 4 wheel drifts, 4 wheel burn outs and thats with the 2s lipo. I can't wait to get the 3s battery. Question, do you see some understeer under power?

You'll love the 3s. It took me a long time to actually find a place big enough to really let it loose.

To your Q: I get a combination of understeer and oversteer depending on what exactly I'm doing. At high speed and under full power on gravel, I see a ton of understeer, which is actually kind of nice at those speeds since it makes the turn very easy to control (but also very wide). But if I'm playing with the throttle, I can get some nice understeer and drifts too. On grass, I just get lots of sideways flips :p Don't have much in terms of experience with other cars though, so don't have much to compare to. You?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back