Big Rock Found a Nero, finally!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The amount of designing and engineering that went into the Nero and it’s variants, The Nero Fazon and Nero Big Rock, is insane. Arrma intended this to be THE 6s basher king.

The crown gear for the diffs are solid hardened steel. The bulkheads are way over engineered on purpose. This truck was built right. I can see why Traxxas didn’t want this rc to be sold. The engineering of the diffs and bulkheads are incredible. Arrma didn’t intend for this truck to break on 6s power.

Man. This sure is a great rc to have found, can’t wait to get it back in running shape!

So I’ve been slowly making note on what parts I’ll need to get, either for missing or just straight up damaged parts.

Bearing kit
Screw kit
Shock rebuild kit/Shock Boots
Diff oil
Drive shafts on all 4 corners
Receiver box lid
Servo/Radio

Now most of that list is pretty cheap. The only exception are the drive shafts. I about had a coronary when I put all the necessary parts together. 200ish bucks for the 3 different parts that make up the drive shafts… the axle (what the tire mounts on), slider drive shaft, and the diff out drive.

I knew drive shafts would be expensive, but not by that much lol Oh well! I want this bad boy up and running, so those drive shafts are a necessary evil 😂

The epoxy showed up, to seal up the diff brain pin holes. Going to seal them up, and give them a proper cleaning. Get rid of that nasty grease and fill them with some proper diff oil.

I’m thinking 30k front, 20 million center, 30k rear. I read a lot of old posts about various users and what diff oil they used in their Nero, and 20 million for the center came up a lot. So I’m going to try it. If I don’t like it, I can always swap it out 😅

Unfortunately, that’s as far as I’ve gotten to this week. Next few weeks should see significant progress on this beast coming back to life.

I would consider changing the OEM pushrods for Integy titanium units. Also, trash the four pivot studs and get 5x30mm cap screws.

Great find. I saw it on ebay too. Seems to be quite a number of them on eBay these days.

There are 2 for about 600, one in roller condition for 259, and another that’s missing a lot of parts for 229. And the brand new Nero for 1999.

I think I lucked out.
I would consider changing the OEM pushrods for Integy titanium units. Also, trash the four pivot studs and get 5x30mm cap screws.
Pivot studs, you’re talking about the studs the rocker arms go on? Or am I having another blonde moment 🙄

Silly Question -
Are the Red aluminum chassis plates identical for the Two sides?
Or is there a left & right side plate??

Silly Question -
Are the Red aluminum chassis plates identical for the Two sides?
Or is there a left & right side plate??

They are identical, doesn’t matter which side you put them on. They have some in Gun Metal Grey if you don’t like the red.

They are identical, doesn’t matter which side you put them on. They have some in Gun Metal Grey if you don’t like the red.

Thank you.

I am going to try to make an XLWB version of that plate...
So just needed to know/confirm if those side pieces are same or unique in some way..

Now I just need to figure out where to make the incision ,to properly cut & extend..

Wish me luck 🤞

Thank you.

I am going to try to make an XLWB version of that plate...
So just needed to know/confirm if those side pieces are same or unique in some way..

Now I just need to figure out where to make the incision ,to properly cut & extend..

Wish me luck 🤞
Edit:
Here’s a thread for an XL Nero.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-nero-xl-by-tpparts-rcxtreme.2218/

I’ve seen a few threads on extended wheel base Neros, maybe try looking on the forums for some info.

Another question-

Do you think the stock Kraton/Fireteam front steering blocks could be used as alternative replacement for the Nero's..?

Another question-

Do you think the stock Kraton/Fireteam front steering blocks could be used as alternative replacement for the Nero's..?
All the factory hubs are available. And no kraton hubs wont fit. They are a complete different design

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back