Big Rock Found a Nero, finally!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketzx1

Very Active Member
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
  2. Nero
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Senton 3s
  5. Talion EXB
  6. Infraction 4x4
Well, I did it. After years of searching, waiting, being a cheap skate, I found a great deal on an Arrma Nero roller. (I kno the tag is Big Rock, but there isn’t one for the Nero ☹️)

Admittedly, it needs a little work. BUT! The parts it needs can be purchased new 😬

So excited to have found such a legendary vehicle. Can’t wait for it to arrive so I can tear into it and fix it up!

Lets Go Come On Man GIF by filmeditor

Here are more pics, as requested

9C36C610-2077-4FFA-BA9C-5002E181EA2B.jpeg

62CD3F37-DD8F-440E-8048-0AC881233998.jpeg

2F4402D6-C531-4BB1-8C78-A2876BCEE4BC.jpeg

D34D49DB-7593-4DAA-B115-EE0F5A5EBA4C.jpeg

0D603870-ACB7-48D8-B383-047192006F94.jpeg

And more
And body pics. Original body is in excellent shape, the green one looks to be the bashed up body.

The truck will need drive shafts all around, no biggie. Missing one end for one of the center drive shafts, again not a big deal.

I work at a metal surface treatment place, fancy words for industrial coatings for metal parts, so I’m going to take the rusted push rods and steering rods and blast the rust off and spray them with black xylan, it’s literally baked into the steel so it’s hard for it to come off. Plus it’ll look nice.

The arms look a little dry, but I will probably just buy some replacements to have on hand. I’ll just replace what breaks, I’m not a hard basher so shouldn’t be breaking much 🙄😂

I will at some point find a screw kit and replace all the screws, they are rusted throughout. Again not a problem for now.

I have a 4282 1730kv motor and a Mamba Monster 2 I can toss in, will need to grab a servo and a radio for cheap. I have plenty of tires to use for now.

Looks like a bit of sand in the front end. Will clean it all up, probably start this weekend!

8C7B5875-359A-49FE-9113-407FB01EACE4.jpeg

CC6E7177-0B80-4AE2-B364-BB8AE67DB96C.jpeg

F01D992A-2DBD-4A90-8394-A5445D9E63B7.jpeg

E771BEB7-97C3-40E4-9F98-D52F66F79B8C.jpeg

EA93879E-6F0C-4DE4-A906-57911322D9D3.jpeg

2E44B5F4-63E6-4ACC-8AE3-71EA5AD81CDD.jpeg

EE56D3C9-F69B-49CB-A59E-8BB04FB3A4C4.jpeg

3A048524-78B0-47AC-B9C9-D6BC55926BB7.jpeg

666EEE22-DE19-439F-880F-50799C26F5F2.jpeg

6DBB2AEB-7857-4144-8C82-1E0447D418ED.jpeg

C1D71379-1B8F-4F2A-B82C-D5BE93CBCA83.jpeg

2413831A-CB9E-4D0C-AA81-3D4F21EED4F9.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m so excited! Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh I have a Nero! I was late to the modern rc game because of having been overseas when the Nero originally launched, I found out about it after it had to be discontinued when I was stateside. I just couldn’t afford one on eBay for like 1200+ dollars at the time, so I’ve been holding out. Found this roller for 229, I’m more than willing to spend a bit to make it worthy of its name. 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

I’m so excited! Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh I have a Nero! I was late to the modern rc game because of having been overseas when the Nero originally launched, I found out about it after it had to be discontinued when I was stateside. I just couldn’t afford one on eBay for like 1200+ dollars at the time, so I’ve been holding out. Found this roller for 229, I’m more than willing to spend a bit to make it worthy of its name. 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

Heck yeah man! Honestly it all looks to be in really good shape, just needs cleaned up and finished! Ive definitely paid more for less with a few vintage rc. Certainly in worse shape 😆 🤣
Look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Any tips on sealing up the diff brain holes in the diff cups? Looks like the pin holes on the diff cups would have to be sealed for proper diff oil to be used. You think some epoxy would work?

Wiped this sludge out of the center diff casing. Gross. Gears were dry too. Diff case is nice and clean now.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here are more pics, as requested

View attachment 313224

View attachment 313225

View attachment 313226

View attachment 313227

View attachment 313228
And more
And body pics. Original body is in excellent shape, the green one looks to be the bashed up body.

The truck will need drive shafts all around, no biggie. Missing one end for one of the center drive shafts, again not a big deal.

I work at a metal surface treatment place, fancy words for industrial coatings for metal parts, so I’m going to take the rusted push rods and steering rods and blast the rust off and spray them with black xylan, it’s literally baked into the steel so it’s hard for it to come off. Plus it’ll look nice.

The arms look a little dry, but I will probably just buy some replacements to have on hand. I’ll just replace what breaks, I’m not a hard basher so shouldn’t be breaking much 🙄😂

I will at some point find a screw kit and replace all the screws, they are rusted throughout. Again not a problem for now.

I have a 4282 1730kv motor and a Mamba Monster 2 I can toss in, will need to grab a servo and a radio for cheap. I have plenty of tires to use for now.

Looks like a bit of sand in the front end. Will clean it all up, probably start this weekend!

View attachment 313229

View attachment 313230

View attachment 313231

View attachment 313232

View attachment 313233

View attachment 313234

View attachment 313235

View attachment 313236

View attachment 313237

View attachment 313238

View attachment 313239

View attachment 313240

Looks like your patience has paid off Big time! Got your grubby little hands on a Really nice condition OG Nero!!

The chassis, those suspension arms, and shock pivots looks Mint!!!

You lucked out for sure!!

So, your basically going to sandblast those original metal parts and give them the good ol' powdering?
Or is it Cerakote?

Now here's a Challenge for you..

Would you be interested/willing to take detailed photos of these suspension arms on a clean white background with a ruler next to them so I can possibly create some beefier versions of these parts.

And since you have the suspension taken apart, could you do the same for the push rods? I want to capture their OEM measurements -eyelet to eyelet and overall length.

Maybe the pivot arms, some chassis panels, and receiver box & cover too?

I know that's quite a lot to ask.

You just never know... In case you ever need those parts "replicated" in the future..

Looks like your patience has paid off Big time! Got your grubby little hands on a Really nice condition OG Nero!!

The chassis, those suspension arms, and shock pivots looks Mint!!!

You lucked out for sure!!

So, your basically going to sandblast those original metal parts and give them the good ol' powdering?
Or is it Cerakote?

Now here's a Challenge for you..

Would you be interested/willing to take detailed photos of these suspension arms on a clean white background with a ruler next to them so I can possibly create some beefier versions of these parts.

And since you have the suspension taken apart, could you do the same for the push rods? I want to capture their OEM measurements -eyelet to eyelet and overall length.

Maybe the pivot arms, some chassis panels, and receiver box & cover too?

I know that's quite a lot to ask.

You just never know... In case you ever need those parts "replicated" in the future..

Absolutely. If I can, I’ll try and tear this thing apart and take some pics for ya throughout the week. More than likely I’ll probably have it torn apart completely on Saturday and get you pics then.

As for the paint, I’m going to spray a fluoropolymer black paint, has to sprayed on 340-360 degree heated parts. Let me see if I have a pic from when I did my nitro slayer chassis….

Edit- Can’t find the pics I took, here’s one

image.jpg

Heck yeah man! Honestly it all looks to be in really good shape, just needs cleaned up and finished! Ive definitely paid more for less with a few vintage rc. Certainly in worse shape 😆 🤣
Look forward to seeing how this turns out.

It is really good shape. Just dirty and in need of some basic maintenance. I’m going to go through the whole truck, probably start with the diffs first and get them all cleaned up and sealed up from the diff brain pin holes, and use proper diff oil. Going to put 500k in center, 50k front, 30k rear. Should be a good starting point.

I feel sorry for whoever owned this Nero before and bought the hot racing drive shafts…. That’s a costly mistake! 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
I took the pushrods and the steering links to work, cleaned them up real nice. Sand blasted the rust off, wiped them down with some MEK (it’s Methyl Ethyl Ketone, solvent for those who may not know).

I pre-heated them up to 350 or so, and sprayed them with 1052-880 Black Xylan Fluoropolymer paint. It’ll resist scuffs and scratches, anything that might hit the pushrods or steering links this paint will laugh at it. Cured them out at 400 for 45 mins, they look sharp.

One part in the rebuild done! I will prolly try and get the front and rear diffs out tonight, so I can really start to clean it up.

9A3BF67D-9E34-4E3E-BD0D-52C8BAB6E1ED.jpeg

I took the pushrods and the steering links to work, cleaned them up real nice. Sand blasted the rust off, wiped them down with some MEK (it’s Methyl Ethyl Ketone, solvent for those who may not know).

I pre-heated them up to 350 or so, and sprayed them with 1052-880 Black Xylan Fluoropolymer paint. It’ll resist scuffs and scratches, anything that might hit the pushrods or steering links this paint will laugh at it. Cured them out at 400 for 45 mins, they look sharp.

One part in the rebuild done! I will prolly try and get the front and rear diffs out tonight, so I can really start to clean it up.

View attachment 313427

Looks Brand New!
Good job 🤘

Perhaps you should have waited for those new screws and gave them the same treatment also.
Then never have to worry about rusty screws.

That 1052 paint has to be applied on hot parts, these screws are too small for that type of coating. Could possible still have they coated, just wouldn’t look as nice from being dip spun.

Could do something like a B06J base coat with a B18 top coat for rust protection. Would prolly be my best bet for protection, I just don’t like the greenish grey color of the B18 🙄🤦🏻‍♂️😂

So glad Fast Eddie’s has a bearing kit for the Nero still 🤦🏻‍♂️🙄

I didn’t even look for a bearing kit 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

I'd love to get my hands on a Nero bigrock. I have seen a few on ebay but they are always too $$. Recently saw a new one on ebay too.

Well, crap. Guys, I broke it. You think a little twine and a few paper clips would hold it together? 😂

View attachment 313460

🤣
To move forward you must move backwards!
Sounds kind of like a fortune cookie ey?

Those pieces turned out awesome. How does that compare in strength to say cerakote or powder? I've got an rc10T chassis I need to get refinished. Looking for options

Cerakote is good, has strong adhesion to metal and has some resistance to scuffs, scratches etc. The paint for it is expensive though and I’d have to see if we have any in stock and what colors if any.

Powder coating is nice too, but it’s not as strong as either Cerakote or a Fluoropolymer paint. Powder coat will chip long before either Cerakote or Fluoropolymer paint.

If you’d like, I could paint the chassis for you if you be willing to send it to me, I’d imagine shipping costs would be low for a round trip. Just a thought for ya.

Cerakote is good, has strong adhesion to metal and has some resistance to scuffs, scratches etc. The paint for it is expensive though and I’d have to see if we have any in stock and what colors if any.

Powder coating is nice too, but it’s not as strong as either Cerakote or a Fluoropolymer paint. Powder coat will chip long before either Cerakote or Fluoropolymer paint.

If you’d like, I could paint the chassis for you if you be willing to send it to me, I’d imagine shipping costs would be low for a round trip. Just a thought for ya.

Hey, thats a decent offer of ya. I'll pm you about it man

I'd love to get my hands on a Nero bigrock. I have seen a few on ebay but they are always too $$. Recently saw a new one on ebay too.
Yes there is a brand new Nero on eBay for 1999. It’s brand new, the seller took it out of the box for pictures. It’s amazing there is one brand spanking new out there.

Yes there is a brand new Nero on eBay for 1999. It’s brand new, the seller took it out of the box for pictures. It’s amazing there is one brand spanking new out there.

People ask some ridiculous prices for stuff like that but if you sit back and think about it.... how else would one ever buy a NIB vintage or discontinued rc?
I'm the idiot that would justify it and buy it... I've wasted money on worse things then something I really want.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back