Futaba Gyro - GYC vs GYD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aweekes1

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon TLR
Hi All,

I'm in the process of building my first Arrma (a TLR Typhon Roller) and pondering gyros. I use Futaba stuff so I'm sticking with that and the latest and greatest Futaba gyros are the GYC470 and GYD550; I know they are classed as 'Car' and 'Drift' but it seems they both have Normal and AVCS modes so are they basically the same other than the 550 having the extra settings if you're into drifting. It seems like the GYD550 can have a load of adjustment over the radio and the GYC470 only the gain/mode.

I used the GYD550 in my Traxxas Slash and it seems to just do what you'd imagine, i.e. if the back steps out, it'll countersteer to keep you pointing in the right direction but now I'm wondering if the 'Car' specific one would actually work differently than the 'Drift' versions in both cars?

It seems any talk of gyro in YouTube is only the drift guys and the very few racer/buggy etc are using SkyRC or similar; I think I'm getting confused now and hoping someone knows more than is in the vague manuals! I'm just general playing with them, no speed runs or drifting specifically.

The Futaba drift version just has some preset correction curves. And On The Fly Adjusting at the radio. A great feature..
I run the flawless SkyRC GC-401 ( way less money), with 3 settable curves and On the fly adjustments at the Tx. Works out fine. Futaba Gyros are known to be the best. With a heavy pricepoint along with it. Like all Futaba gear.
Any standalone Gyro brand will integrate with any Radio brand FWIW. You don't need a Futaba Gyro for a Futaba radio at all. They all do the exact same thing.
It's your call.
I started this hobby as a Futaba Fanboy, Rx's, servos, "failsafe" modules, and all. For the Track. Even had their now vintage ESC back when. But ran Tekin ESC's at the track like 99% of us did.
Now there are so many other good choices out there, for less money.
No longer a Futaba Fanboy 20+ years later. Not for simple bashing.
Futaba $bragging rights$ is not important to me now.

Edited.

Last edited:
The Futaba drift version just has some preset correction curves. And On The Fly Adjusting at the radio. A great feature..
I run the flawless SkyRC GC-401 ( way less money), with 3 settable curves and On the fly adjustments at the Tx. Works out fine. Futaba Gyros are known to be the best. With a heavy pricepoint along with it. Like all Futaba gear.
Any standalone Gyro brand will integrate with any Radio brand FWIW. You don't need a Futaba Gyro for a Futaba radio at all. They all do the exact same thing.
It's your call.
I started this hobby as a Futaba Fanboy, Rx's, servos, "failsafe" modules, and all. For the Track. Even had their now vintage ESC back when. But ran Tekin ESC's at the track like 99% of us did.
Now there are so many other good choices out there, for less money.
No longer a Futaba Fanboy 20+ years later. Not for simple bashing.
Futaba $bragging rights$ is not important to me now.

Edited.
Great, thank you...

I like the adjustability and I'm using SBUS2 so the Futaba stuff seems to fit nicely (this is also the combo in a Slash I built so staying consistent makes it easier to learn!). That said, I put DumboRC in the kids rigs and that stuff just works and works well! Those are phenominal value for money

Yeah Futaba is big with their SBUS2 integration. (y) (y)

I was looking into the GYD470, I was told it's the plastic chassis version of the GYD550 :unsure: . Where I'm a bit worried though is the fact it says only works with Futaba digital servos..!!
Can anyone confirm this to be true.??

I was looking into the GYD470, I was told it's the plastic chassis version of the GYD550 :unsure: . Where I'm a bit worried though is the fact it says only works with Futaba digital servos..!!
I’ve asked the same question and although that’s what Futaba says, I’ve been assured by several people (who don’t use Futaba servos) that they still work perfectly. You may lose some programmability if not using an S-Bus servo, but it apparently still works perfectly.

From what I've seen, that's not the case (pun intended!). The 550 has adjustments for a lot of attrbutes such as how fast you want the slide etc., the 470 does not have these as far as I'm aware.

It certainly seems solid information on these devices is thin on the ground; it would be great to see a definative comparison chart but I'm not sure where we;d get the info to do this other than croudsourcing it from users.

I ended up ordering the GYD550 thinking having more control might be fun on a lose surface.

I ended up ordering the GYD550 thinking having more control might be fun on a loose surface.
What radio are you using?? I have 7PXR so I’m sure all adjustments can be done on the tx 🤔 that was one of my criteria..
Let us know how you get on with the 550 as I’d be interested to know 👍🏼

These are the only guys I think I’d trust to fully explain what each model does…

https://supergdrift.com/store/produ...-counter-steer-gyro-system-futaba-01102335-3/

Maybe drop them an email

I use the GYC-441 with an HRC servo and it works just the same even though the manual says it's for digital Futaba servos only. What they might be talking about is that you have to use a Futaba servo when connecting it via S.BUS2. Just speculation but that would, at least, make sense.

I had a read about the 550 and it looks to be a full on drift monster, all fully adjustable on the TX if you happen to have a 7PX/7PXR or 10PX..!!
I'll probably order the GYD470 as I think it will be enough for what I want, but hey, who knows :unsure: ;)

I had a read about the 550 and it looks to be a full on drift monster, all fully adjustable on the TX if you happen to have a 7PX/7PXR or 10PX..!!
I'll probably order the GYD470 as I think it will be enough for what I want, but hey, who knows :unsure: ;)
I've read several people on here that had issues with the 470 (which is the successor to the 441) not working properly. I'm not saying you'll definitely have those problems but I thought you should be aware. Those people wound up sending it back and got the 441 instead.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back