Gearing and Temps Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick update….

took the car out today to a local canyon (dry/dusty) and it actually performed really well. Put 2 whole packs through it and highest motor temp was 145 deg F.

the TP4050CM is a beast even on 4s, significantly faster than I was expecting, and more than I could handle really! 😜

that said, I am going to swap it out based on the advice on here. Was looking at the hobbywing 1650kv but came across these:

Rocket 4585 1580kv
Rocket 4092 1650kv

Searches to forum but couldn’t find much info on them. Pretty decent price but has anyone tried them? If they are ok, Which would be better for an KEXB on max6?

cheers.

Quick update….

took the car out today to a local canyon (dry/dusty) and it actually performed really well. Put 2 whole packs through it and highest motor temp was 145 deg F.

the TP4050CM is a beast even on 4s, significantly faster than I was expecting, and more than I could handle really! 😜

that said, I am going to swap it out based on the advice on here. Was looking at the hobbywing 1650kv but came across these:

Rocket 4585 1580kv
Rocket 4092 1650kv

Searches to forum but couldn’t find much info on them. Pretty decent price but has anyone tried them? If they are ok, Which would be better for an KEXB on max6?

cheers.
Those are really close motors and I don’t think you’ll find much difference between them. Either is fine.

Those are really close motors and I don’t think you’ll find much difference between them. Either is fine.
Just looking at the motor theory and seems that you can increase torque but making the motor longer, but you also increase torque by increasing diameter. Not sure which has the greatest influence on torque so I’m guessing the marginal differences in dimensions of these 2 motors will largely cancel each other out?

does increasing one of the dimensions more than the other help with heat dissipation?

Sorry for all the questions, I’m sure this info is online somewhere but can’t for the life of me find the answer!

Just looking at the motor theory and seems that you can increase torque but making the motor longer, but you also increase torque by increasing diameter. Not sure which has the greatest influence on torque so I’m guessing the marginal differences in dimensions of these 2 motors will largely cancel each other out?

does increasing one of the dimensions more than the other help with heat dissipation?

Sorry for all the questions, I’m sure this info is online somewhere but can’t for the life of me find the answer!
Like I said, they will likely be so close in every measurable way that it’s splitting hairs. One is thicc, one is long. Both will have plenty of torque. Heat should be similar too. I honestly don’t think you could possibly argue either way unless one didn’t fit. But both would fit just fine.

Like I said, they will likely be so close in every measurable way that it’s splitting hairs. One is thicc, one is long. Both will have plenty of torque. Heat should be similar too. I honestly don’t think you could possibly argue either way unless one didn’t fit. But both would fit just fine.
Thanks for that. I’m coming to a similar conclusion!

did find this useful video which most of you guys won’t need to watch but does explain it in layman’s terms for noobs like me!

Although looking at the overall can size, the 4585 has a 10% bigger total surface area so could theoretically dissipate more heat so will probably go for that one as there isn’t much else to split them.

Thanks again for your help

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back