General discussions - FAST RC boat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Building up a boat I have never been able to get one in the water for under $600 (that does not include the radio system or batteries)
The RTRs are certainly more affordable but decent models still cost in the 450-700 range.
Yep, you ain't lying.. the cheapest one I've found so far is the DTRC E32 Cheetah in the "Magic" or "Geico" liveries.. no tx/rx and with what appears to be a weak, low scale system.. 120a, 3674 1750kv and a 6kg servo, all generic I'm sure!! So that's $288.52 + $125.43(shipping) and taxes so $444.99

Also it says fiber reinforced plastic but under hull material says fiber glass.. so that's that, only trouble I have with buying just the hull is I've never had a boat so wouldn't know how to set it up, having one close to RTR or PNP would be ideal so I can see exactly how everything goes and works!?

Last edited:
Boating costs add up fast....
The other thing that many don't realize is the power consumption is very high. You are lucky to get 4mins of run time.

Nice.. the 33 is a good size..

Funny you mention expense.. now imagine the same expense, then add gallons of 60% nitro like back in the day.. you all have it easy these days...😂😂😂
I guess they really are B.O.A.T.'s🤣.. no matter the size!! All these pro boats are like 350+.. just for a painted hull, mind blowing!! 🤯

Well, let's put this in perspective a little... Your rc cars and trucks are B.O.A.T as well, it's all relative, it's a toy, it's a hobby, it's expensive...👍

At times, you can find better deals on DTRC on eBay. Haven't looked in a while. Considered them myself, but the $200 for shipping always made me gag.
They will always be in the $400 range from what I have found.
Always check offshore forum in the classified section. Not cheap, but they have good items.
Don't recommend building from scratch, but don't know your talent level.

Last edited:
Keep one thing in mind, you want a bright visible color on both top & bottom.
The carbon ones look nice and slick on land and disappear into the lake (background) in no time.

Stay away from black is my advice (or gold, brown, dark green etc)

Keep one thing in mind, you want a bright visible color on both top & bottom.
The carbon ones look nice and slick on land and disappear into the lake (background) in no time.

Stay away from black is my advice (or gold, brown, dark green etc)
Yep I have to repaint this rigger. I'm thinking white...

Either one should be fine. Make an offer for 10% less. I bet they will take it.
You will need new lipos.
I can't use my old ones huh.. 🤣

200w (10).gif

By all means, try it for 1 min and take temps. Next try for 2 min and repeat until you know what is going to happen.
Should be ok with stock props but these things suck the lipo dry like nothing.

By all means, try it for 1 min and take temps. Next try for 2 min and repeat until you know what is going to happen.
Should be ok with stock props but these things suck the lipo dry like nothing.
I'm wondering about the electronics.. do you remember what brand yours came with and what size.. just wondering if it's 6s capable with the 120a!? 🤔

I'm wondering about the electronics.. do you remember what brand yours came with and what size.. just wondering if it's 6s capable with the 120a!? 🤔
It will come with a setup that won't cook the motor. Motor KV tends to be less for boats vs cars
For example our 6s Arrma cars come with 2050kv
The boats will be 1300-1700 range. You can run higher but could get hot.
My 42" mono deep v has a 1650 kv and will do 60+ mph on 6s.

I don't have one from DTRC, don't get it unless you know what it is. Look at some Youtube vids, if you can't find any, don't get it.

I know I've looked at them ~ 1 year ago but never got one. They are advertised at ~ 40mph. My 'guess' it is a 6S ESC, they are stating 2x3S and don't believe that speed is on 3S.
I'd already would want a better ESC, larger prop and different motor which drives more cooling, i.e. another $300-400 in upgrades.
Will be fun for about 3 runs before you want more, but no way to upgrade without major $$. Don't recall, but that was probably why I didn't get one from them.

Will be fun for about 3 runs before you want more, but no way to upgrade without major $$. Don't recall, but that was probably why I didn't get one from them.
This is why I'm on the fence about the boats.. if it can't do 50+ or at least hit jumps,I know I'll bore of it quickly. Seems jumping boats isn't really a (advisable) thing, I might have to pass on them.

Back