gens-ace lipo charging issue with Imars dual - wrong battery type

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosmiC10R

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
All of a sudden today i plugged in one of my 3s Gens-ace batteries and it says its the wrong cell type now.
The settings and voltages from the balancer seem to be the same but it keeps throwing the error. I didnt fiddle with any settings.

I cant tell if the battery is shot or what but if anyone has ever had it happen with the gens-ace imars and batteries and you fixed it I would appreciate knowing how.

This seems weird. The two batteries don't line up any more...

20230509_172955.jpg

I don’t see what’s wrong.

thanks. its weird.. when i start the charging process and ensure its set right to the same charge settings it throws a CHB wrong battery type error. the other one charges fine of the same type and it just started happening. CHB is the port its plugged in to.

And it powers the car fine but if I deplete it I don't think it will charge... grrr... lol

thanks. its weird.. when i start the charging process and ensure its set right to the same charge settings it throws a CHB wrong battery type error. the other one charges fine of the same type and it just started happening. CHB is the port its plugged in to.

And it powers the car fine but if I deplete it I don't think it will charge... grrr... lol
What does CHB mean? Have you checked the manual?

Well, one of your cells looks like it's at 4.27V which is probably what is flagging the error. Lipo is only charged up to 4.2V, so if it sees 4.27V it probably thinks it's a LiHv. I would try discharging it for 10 min. (or drive it for 5 min.) and then I bet it will work.

In any case, your batteries are already fully charged (and then some!), so you shouldn't need to charge it right now.

Well, one of your cells looks like it's at 4.27V which is probably what is flagging the error. Lipo is only charged up to 4.2V, so if it sees 4.27V it probably thinks it's a LiHv. I would try discharging it for 10 min. (or drive it for 5 min.) and then I bet it will work.

In any case, your batteries are already fully charged (and then some!), so you shouldn't need to charge it right now.

That makes sense. Ill try it.

What does CHB mean? Have you checked the manual?

Its the second battery port... it would be hard to describe how useless the instructions are but yes... im not instruction resistant lol

Did that charger charge that battery? Same cell readings on both ports?

I would be concerned about that cell overcharging and try to get at the cause.

I typically charge to 4.18vpc. 4.27v is way too high if the charger is accurately reading that.

don't forget to storage charge when not in use, 3.80vpc.

Last edited:
Thanks guys... that did work... its now charging after i ran the car for 10 minutes.

Ill keep a close eye on what it charges to. its new as i haven't had the issue before.

of course I blew the 12tooth gear off with the clip and allen screw so i need to replace that now annnnd of course I ran through a big pile of dog crap... sigh

OK, if your car is broken I would storage charge it as you don't want to leave the LiPos fully charged for long periods of time (like more than a few hours). Storage will bring it to about 50% charged.

OK, if your car is broken I would storage charge it as you don't want to leave the LiPos fully charged for long periods of time (like more than a few hours). Storage will bring it to about 50% charged.
nah... i have 3 of the replacements because the one thing i am apparently good at is breaking things without actually doing anything extreme... the dog crap thing is new so hopefully that doesn't become a trend. A good tip though as im likely only 3 runs from burning my entire back up of supply of parts lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back