Goodby Nero

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I let my 8 yr..old run my Outcast on 4S after I ran some of the battery down. But this was in an open field and it was just us two. He did really well, but my concern is when I'm not at home and he decides to run it in the street or yard. Rather not have him playing with lipos either!

Argh... Had an ERBE and sold it due to its fragile nature, then got Kraton, Senton, Typhon, and now Outcast...

I just bought the Big Rock with the Tower Sale for $619 - $95... So like $515 out the door... But this thread is making me consider canceling the order! Lol.

Argh... Had an ERBE and sold it due to its fragile nature, then got Kraton, Senton, Typhon, and now Outcast...

I just bought the Big Rock with the Tower Sale for $619 - $95... So like $515 out the door... But this thread is making me consider canceling the order! Lol.
Good luck with that. I called them the day after ordering just to change which tires I ordered to a different set of the same price and they wouldn't do it. It didn't ship till 2 days later. Other than that tower has been awesome.

I've only ran mine once with no jumps. I'm gun shy after reading all these horror stories. Wonder how much I could sell a Nero for that has only been ran one time. Lol

I have the brainless nero first 4s pack had a stripped suspension rod end. .second set had a steering link bolt just fall out..now I've progressed to 6s.and it performs fantastic. .my 2 problems I believe was a simple assembly issue and haven't had any issues since ..I did nail my ankle with the truck as I mainly run crawler rigs and used to a drag brake ..fortunately the nero was just coasting when I rammed myself but still cut and bruised the crap out of me lol..also be careful in gravel. .was coming out of a slide and punched it and a rock nailed me in the nuts!! Hate that your not happy with it. .I was aggravated at first but now I'm digging it..good luck to you! !

Good luck with that. I called them the day after ordering just to change which tires I ordered to a different set of the same price and they wouldn't do it. It didn't ship till 2 days later. Other than that tower has been awesome.

I've only ran mine once with no jumps. I'm gun shy after reading all these horror stories. Wonder how much I could sell a Nero for that has only been ran one time. Lol
I decided I'm keeping the order anyway.

If I break something, I have enough trucks to keep me occupied until replacement parts arrive. Haha.

Gonna go check out the upgrade thread. Just watched a video where a guy put stronger shock caps on, and increased suspension travel, and many other improvements. I look forward to it!

Stanley - If your decision hinges on a negative thread about breaks - you can find those threads anywhere. While its ez to post about the company and this thing breaks everyday....pls remember that Arrma lacks one thing that Traxxas does very well..... They need to have difficulty levels assigned to these trucks. The diff brain is not for everyone.... I remember Josh Nortz putting it real clear when I had pins breaking left and right when I got my fazon. Stop driving like an assshole he said - he also added in that he used to drive it like an asshole and learned (the hard way) to NOT use full throttle burst with anything locked for example. A lot of guys change modes on the fly , etc.... I think - and I could be wrong - I don't think that the Nero is for beginners - I just
don't. I also think a LOT of these threads that talk about the Nero breaks everyday and should I trade it in - are just due to one thing - driver error. Now let me add - again - Arrma needs to include difficulty levels/ experience levels with each and every RC they make. I remember back in the summer when I decided on the brainless Nero .... I figured sometimes less is
more - and I will say that it really worked out - My Nero still runs like a champ since July.

Attachments

• IMG_0929.JPG
    IMG_0929.JPG
    311.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0855.JPG
    IMG_0855.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Stanley - If your decision hinges on a negative thread about breaks - you can find those threads anywhere. While its ez to post about the company and this thing breaks everyday....pls remember that Arrma lacks one thing that Traxxas does very well..... They need to have difficulty levels assigned to these trucks. The diff brain is not for everyone.... I remember Josh Nortz putting it real clear when I had pins breaking left and right when I got my fazon. Stop driving like an assshole he said - he also added in that he used to drive it like an asshole and learned (the hard way) to NOT use full throttle burst with anything locked for example. A lot of guys change modes on the fly , etc.... I think - and I could be wrong - that the Nero is for beginners - I don't. I also think a LOT of these threads that talk about the Nero breaks everyday and should I trade it in - are just due to one thing - driver error. Now let me add - again - Arrma needs to include difficulty levels/ experience levels with each and every RC they make. I remember back in the summer when I decided on the brainless Nero .... I figured sometimes less in more - and I will say that it really worked out - My Nero still runs like a champ since July.
I agree with everything you said. :)

Only decision left for me is whether to get both T-bone (wheelie bar and bumper with lights) or just one. Haha

https://tboneracing.net/Big-Rock_c_342.html

Hey guys. I am done with my Nero. I somehow broke the pin in the "HD" axle u joint area. I am tired of breaking parts everytime I go out, and have not even ran it hard. I have not gotten more than 8 min before breaking something. Over it. I am going to replace all the electronics with stock parts, fix the axle, and sell it. I am looking into getting a Kraton instead, as they are proven to be super durable. I'm not expecting a miracle that I won't break parts on the Kraton, just not as often. Hope you all have better luck than me. Sucks that this way my first Arrma vehicle, and this is how it has gone. Live and learn I suppose. Bad luck for me.
Hey let me know when u are ready to sell.

I've had the NERO for over a week. And have not run it because I was not sure if it was going to be durable enough to bash with. Seems folks are all or nothing in the luck department with the NERO. My version is the $330 special they had right before Christmas, I heard that the vanilla model is more durable. But I bought a big bag of spare parts for all the fixes, all the alternate suppliers of rod ends, all the Traxxas parts to fix the rockers etc. All the new HD rod ends that just came out. Today I threw caution to the wind and just ran the dam thing 100% all box stock with the ugly green body... The only thing I wish I did was to prep the body and to wait until the wheely bar got back from back-order.

The screw for the steering got loose toward the end of the first pack (like everyone else). I was looking out for that and quickly torqued it back. It did not get loose on the second battery.
Truck ran great and felt like it could run 6S back to back. Nothing was hot after the run except the batteries ;) My session was not brutal, did not crash, but I had plenty of tumbles, lots of wheelies, hit a couple of rocks and was moving pretty fast over some rough terrain. The truck rides different than my Outcast, it really soaks up the ground. I could hear all the crap hitting the bottom of the chassis, because it's plastic. Did all my jumps, all the wheely I wanted.

If the NERO had a wheely bar and a stronger more truck looking body and maybe better designed to take the weight of the truck it would be perfect.

I'm glad I ran the truck today. Tomorrow after all the shoo-good has dried I'll feed it some more 6S packs and continue to have fun with it.

Interesting discussion going on here!
Hopefully people will take the effort to read the whole thread!

If I would have room to store one here, I would definitely buy a Nero based truck with the remote lockable diffs.
These posts do not scare me off at all!

A remote controlled car with brushless motor + lipo power has a power to weight ratio only a few exotic real scale hyper cars have.
These cars (like an F1 racing car) can only be driven by a few very skilled drivers out there.

If you crash with a hyper-car, you die :p
If you crash your equally powered RC ride...it only hurts your wallet (and maybe your ego ;))

I have similar experiences with the less complex 1/10 scale 2wd Arrma's. I have not broken a thing (actually I did, the plastic geared stock servo) in years. And I run a 3S lipo occasionally.

Indeed there is a correlation between "trottle management" and breaking drive-line stuff.

Last week two out of our three trucks got problems with drive-line components: diff blew up, dog-bone bent, and an Esc burned...
All driving on the same venue with the same batteries and equal brushless set-ups.
The other two were at full trottle almost all the time, while I "steer" the car with trottle management through the bends.

Although against the bash-religion, I can recommend what can be read in most beginner user guides: Place some pilons (or other objects) to set-up a small track. Start with an oval, and try to drive/drift as fast as you can around the track without losing control over the vehicle.
Those who have never done it will be amazed how difficult this is, even on an oval.

Putting a different body on the Nero already. (Not crazy about that green) I'll keep the stock one in the box until I need it. Also, I don't fly my vehicles, I have planes and helis for that. Not that I won't occasionally hit a jump or two but why push something to the breaking point?
If I break stuff under normal driving and small jumps I'll fix it...

@Bic1090 I understand your frustrations. I've only got about 11 runs on my Big Rock and only 4 of them without breakage. Only one of my runs were shortened by a collision.

I recommend calling Arrma about your broken parts. The first day I owned my truck I broke one of the HD U-joints, and shredded a tire. They sent out free replacements.

I have had 4 more runs cut short with broken axle pins, and another one with another tire blowout.

I did hit a curb on a speed run and break a hub, bent the aluminum axle, and exploded the hub bearings, but that was totally my fault.

I will say that my last 2 consecutive runs were without breakage, and that is literally a record. I broke down my stock tires and gorilla taped them, punched them, sealed the rim holes and then balanced the tires. Without the tires balooning, It was night and day with the traction and stability at high speed.

I've been where you are, but I'm not going to take the hit on resale. When the truck runs, it's everything I expected. We'll see how the next 10 runs go.

@Bic1090 I understand your frustrations. I've only got about 11 runs on my Big Rock and only 4 of them without breakage. Only one of my runs were shortened by a collision.

I recommend calling Arrma about your broken parts. The first day I owned my truck I broke one of the HD U-joints, and shredded a tire. They sent out free replacements.

I have had 4 more runs cut short with broken axle pins, and another one with another tire blowout.

I did hit a curb on a speed run and break a hub, bent the aluminum axle, and exploded the hub bearings, but that was totally my fault.

I will say that my last 2 consecutive runs were without breakage, and that is literally a record. I broke down my stock tires and gorilla taped them, punched them, sealed the rim holes and then balanced the tires. Without the tires balooning, It was night and day with the traction and stability at high speed.

I've been where you are, but I'm not going to take the hit on resale. When the truck runs, it's everything I expected. We'll see how the next 10 runs go.
I called Arrma. They said send in my elctro

I did. Arrma said they cannot warrnaty parts that may be the driver fault, such as pins, rims and things that meant to break. I get it. But replacing parts every time is ridiculous. Arrma told me I'm SOL, parts break and it is a scale vehicle, so given the weight and potential abuse they won't replace anything minus the electronics. I get it.. to a point. But Jesus, breaking the pins on a "HD" driveshaft is ridiculous. Im running a 1550KV motor. It is what it is.. Im too abusive for the Nero apparently. I love the truck when it's running properly. Either way I'm going Kraton and selling the Nero. Kraton is proven and definitely a basher truck, my kind of truck..

Im brand new to arrma and the forum, just pulled the trigger on a green non brain Nero. This truck looks amazing for $328 and i couldnt pass it up. I have watched nearly every vid on youtube about this truck. This truck doesn't scare me in the least other than the power of course. Durability wise it has flaws but nothing of a deal breaker. Like others have stated, you have to respect it. Ive had many traxxas and Losi mainly Nitro snd ive broken the livin life out of a few of them. Every RC ive owned has an Achilles heal and its flaws, its just normal. Very few are problem free at 60mph out of the box. They are only so strong and something will give. I cant beleive how well RC's are made and how resilient they can be for the speeds they reach and heights they fly. Looks like a good community and glad to be a part..!

So you're running a 1550 motor and running 6s all the time?
Initially it was 6s stock. Then 6s with castle 2200 kv and monster x esc. Then went to Hobbystar 150A esc and Tenshock 1550kv motor.

Initially it was 6s stock. Then 6s with castle 2200 kv and monster x esc. Then went to Hobbystar 150A esc and Tenshock 1550kv motor.
Always been 6s. Regardless, tired of breaking parts that a Kraton can handle just fine.

Always been 6s. Regardless, tired of breaking parts that a Kraton can handle just fine.
No arguments at all that the Kraton is a solid/awesome rig! As you can see, I have no experience yet with the Nero/Big Rock, but I'm confident it's gonna be more durable than my E-Revo was. :) So I know what I'm getting into at least.

And Im never giving my Kraton up either. :)

I've had mine a few months now, lots of open field speed,moderately aggressive climbing/ dry river bed rocky runs, wheelies on occasion ( real skill would be doing wheelies with no bar ), not too much drifting. I always come to a complete stop before changing diffs.
Only broken part so far is a rod end. I drive it trying to learn it's limits and improving skills.My money is hard to come by so I find that maintenance and skill set are 1/2 the fun. There is a lot of satisfaction that comes from putting a Nero through its paces for 45 + minutes and only having to clean it up when finished.
4S or 6S, and what LiPo's are you running to get 45+ minutes? Sounds AWESOME!!!

After reading threw all the post's, I have come to a conclusion. I need to buy one of the Nero based truck's and get used to the horsepower!!! Also need to run a little light on the throttle when the diff's are locked. Not so much for running the flat high speed slippery terrain, more like the higher traction surfaces. One way or another it's going to be fun to learn!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back