Kraton Heat sink/fan 4985 advice please?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the 8s Arrma heatsink on mine. It did require some significant trimming though. It is working pretty well. 22T pinion runs fairly cool even in the summer.

if you bend it a little then it fits that part is correct. but that black bracket that comes with it doesn't fit or you have to use heavy force to push it around it ?

otherwise it does not connect properly and it is of no use if there is an in-between space.
yeah racing heatsink with longer screws and little Dremel work and you're done ?
but everyone should do what works well for them ?

Search up jondillys exb build thread,pic is there.
5FC850B6-9E35-4C72-BD54-D874BFB9A0DF.jpeg
C4D88ED6-EBAE-42B5-9F46-50C6285B9334.jpeg

Thanks for the advice guys. Made the TRX one work with a half round file and cable ties. I also had to cut the threaded nub on the side guard closest to the rear because the heat sink gets in the way. These aluminium Centro fans are 30x30mm and are extremely fast on 7.4v BEC (they hover off the table)

Although I may end up getting a fan mount, HR or similar, that can fit on this heatsink instead, depending on how the cable ties hold up

PXL_20201124_114530397.jpg

PXL_20201124_114542105.jpg

PXL_20201124_183822437.jpg

PXL_20201124_183935889.NIGHT.jpg

Thanks for the tip. That’s some great info about the ribs because I don’t think most people are thinking about that. I’m thinking about the motor size designated by the manufacturer.
A motor's Diameter dimensions usually include any raised ribbing.
Word of note: The ribbing actually prevents adequate Heat transfer from the motor to the HS. Raised ribbing affords minimal contact surface area to a HS. FWIW. Smooth can motors are better and efficient with a HS.
Smooth cans are always better obviously. The ribbed design is a leftover from Arrma and other brands when Fans weren't used or included on the motors in stock form IMHO.
BTW, it s agreat idea too use a HS compund like used on PC processors. Small amount around the motor can before attatching the HS. Way better Heat transfer.
>>>On the stock BLX185 ribbed motor I find a 40mm+ High speed fan mounted facing the bare motors ribbing works just as well if not better than with a HS. FWIW My temp gun doesn't lie.:D But I run that motor with or without a HS depending how hot a setup I have in a specific rig. I will use 1/8 scale motor Exotek clamping Fan mounts. Facing the bare motor as one option. Track guys do this with their hot setups. it works .
Remember that a ribbed motor can IS a Heat Sink already by design. Recessed ribbed motors will benefit more with a HS. Just depends on the CNC'ing of the ribbing and how much surface area there is for a HS to contact. This will determine efficient heat transfer or not if you use a HS.

Last edited:
I haven't ran the motor yet as I'm waiting on the exb to run it, but here is the yeah racing heat sink on it. I used the long screws that come with the fans so I could still mount the heat sink after stretching it. don't know if it will work well or not, but seems like it stretched ok. I don't have experience with RCs, so don't take this as expert advice. I have a thermal pad on the way that I may put in between the heat sink and the motor. This was just to see if it would fit.

Also, after stretching the heat sink it can make it more difficult to attach the fans. The flat surface the fans would normally mount to isnt perfectly flat anymore.
That looks good, I am wanting to do the same job,why on earth don't hobywing make a fan fitting? Perhaps they think it doesn’t need one? I’m running mine without at mo. Also that motor fits so close to the chassis floor of the EXB was there enough room?

Old thread, but saw @GRIFFINJ had this on his 4985, so I got the same. You can use 30mm or 40mm fans on it:
https://www.powerhobby.com/phmount03.html

I'm using a couple 40mm fans I got off aliexpress along with covers I found on there:
Fans: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003189247019.html
Covers: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003494556678.html

Installed on the powerhobby mount:
2022-0228-powerhobby-47_49mm_FanMount_PHMount03-40mmFans.jpg

I drilled a couple 2mm holes in the stanchion to allow me to ziptie the fan wires to it right there and later the motor wires. I bundled up the slack fan wires in zipties and ziptied the bundle to the motor wires so they don't flop around and work harden/break on me.

Just put a 4985 in my kraton exb:
2022-0310-kraton-HW4985SL-M2CChassis-side.jpg

2022-0310-kraton-HW4985SL-M2CChassis-electronics.jpg

I'm running those fans at 7.2V via a max6 and the sing pretty good, not bad at 6V either. They push quite a bit of air.

I haven't run it yet, so don't know about the durability of the fans. If they fail, I'll get a couple surpass rocket 40mm fans instead.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back